Smoked mackerel ideas needed please?

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Apart from salad, which its too cold for at the moment, and my homemade sweet potato and smoked mackerel fishcakes (presumably now on the can't eat list) what else can I make with smoked mackerel?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Orangeteddy

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Mackerel pate
4oz cottage cheese - sieved
1/4 pint single cream
12 oz smoked mackerel
4 oz melted butter
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
seasoning

Mix it all together and enjoy with celery, pepper slices etc
Suz

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to like it warmed with a poached egg on top - can't do eggs now so don't have it any more :(

I make a curried cauli rice with peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic etc - any low carb stuff you like them flake the mackerel in at last minute.

Nice in an omelette too - another I can't have now

Still cold but cut into fingers with a dip of sour cream and dill

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from salad, which its too cold for at the moment, and my homemade sweet potato and smoked mackerel fishcakes (presumably now on the can't eat list) what else can I make with smoked mackerel?
Your fish cakes sounds yummy ..........are they a no no now? I still eat sweet potatoes, they contain so many good things that I think they deserve a place in my diet. If they are breadcrumbed just leave this bit out of the recipe.

How about a kedgeree type dish but with blizted cauliflower instead of rice?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been wondering if I could use psyllium husk as an ingredient in some kind of patties / fish cakes. I need more roughage but can eat very few carbs so sweet potatoes are not on the menu for me. I don't want to dip things in flour before frying, so I wonder if psyllium could be used to replace the flour? Has anyone used psyllium in recipes?

pcs63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been wondering if I could use psyllium husk as an ingredient in some kind of patties / fish cakes. I need more roughage but can eat very few carbs so sweet potatoes are not on the menu for me. I don't want to dip things in flour before frying, so I wonder if psyllium could be used to replace the flour? Has anyone used psyllium in recipes?

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Psyllium is quite strange stuff - I think it would work in small quantities added to most things. You could try dusting patties with one of the nut flours. And you can make breadcrumbs with the Lidle high protein rolls and store them in the freezer, using just a little at a time. I use a mixture of Lidl breadcrumbs, mixed herbs, and finely chopped nuts for added crunch .........(perhaps add a little psyllium to the mix as well)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My favourite smoked mackerel recipe: Make a plan for a fancy mackerel salad or such. Let the mackerel warm to room temperature or slightly warmer. Take it to the living room with an extra plate for the bones and such to clean it. Set yourself on the couch with some nice background music or television. Start to clean the mackerel and eat all the bits you cleaned while doing so. Don't forget to give the dog/cat/white rat a piece as well, they love it. Make something else with your salad-stuff when it's dinner time.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooooh this thread has reminded me that I've got a clump of flaked smoked mackerel in the freezer from our last bike ride to Hastings - shall dig it out and whizz it up with some cream and lemon for a sexy dip to have with celery.............

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, psyllium binds things together very well. Also flax.

Check out Dietdoctor for their recipes. There is one for chicken that does the most fabulous option for breadcrumb coating.

it coats the chicken in yoghurt (but you could use egg or something)
and then the coating is pork scratchings and milled flaxseed and coconut flour.

My memory a bit dodgy on the details, because I didn't have any pork scratchings available, so I just used 50:50 flax and coconut.
Worked perfectly.
Lovely to have a breadcrumb option available again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never use a recipe for any of the fish pates.
Just lob the fish in the blender, with a good dollop of creme fraiche or double cream, or cream cheese, or sour cream or non dairy alternative, season with whatever you like (gherkins, capers, Worcester sauce, tabasco, mustard, salt, pepper, anchovies, parmesan, spring onion, paprika... )
And blitz.

Job done.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often make a smoked mackerel pate much the same way as others say they do but for a little bit of extra bite I add a good spoonful of horseradish sauce

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I never use a recipe for any of the fish pates.
Just lob the fish in the blender, with a good dollop of creme fraiche or double cream, or cream cheese, or sour cream or non dairy alternative, season with whatever you like (gherkins, capers, Worcester sauce, tabasco, mustard, salt, pepper, anchovies, parmesan, spring onion, paprika... )
And blitz.

Job done.
I'm going to try this! I'll need two mackerels for this recipe though, because the first one will have ended up in my stomach by the time I'm finished cleaning them :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No reason why you can't have your fish cakes they sound good may try that myself

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Seems like smoked mackerel is quite popular. Thanks everyone. As regards my fishcakes, of which I still have several in the freezer, these were made a while back and before my prediabetic diagnosis.

Mix up smoked mackerel with mashed sweet potato, add in chopped spring onion and then make into fishcakes shapes. I then coated them with homemade breadcrumbs which I make from collecting the end bits bits of bread, freezing them and then blitzing into a bag of crumbs.

It was a useful way to use up leftover bread.

Of course the bread thing is probably now a no no but I did wonder about the sweet potato.

The fishcakes themselves are nothing huge.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Smoked mackerel fritatta!

I made this to take to work and it was yummy.

I softened some onion in a little butter, then threw in some mushrooms. Whisked up 4 eggs and added a glug of milk. Poured that in over the onion and mushrooms. Added some halved mini tomatoes, brocolli pieces, smoked mackerel cut into bite size pieces, and when the egg was starting to set, topped with smoked Applewood cheese and popped it all under the grill until sizzly.

The above made 4 portions.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

GoodClaret

Hi

I’ve just made a mackerel pate which was smoked mackerel fillets, Philadelphia, unsweetened Greek yoghurt, garlic, cayenne pepper and paprika and a tiny drop of lemon juice. Just put it in the fridge and I’m going to eat it with sliced peppers, cucumber sticks and a couple of cherry tomatoes it I might spread it in lettuce leaves and roll it up.
Hope that is ok as currently only on day 5

Reactions: Brunneria