smoking

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know. When I started to smoke in 1977 or there abouts I knew it was a bad idea. It didn't stop me however.
Cripes! In 2017 I will have a 40 years a smoker anniversary. Scary, isn't it?

Better stop before that, or what do you say?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I haven't started to stop yet.

As to celebrations, yes, we should focus a bit on them as we need to do a thorough cleaning first. And do some baking. But I have been very busy with the poly-tunnel work and other things. Have decided on a low-carb Schwarzwald gateau for cake.

It is only 51, so no big deal.
Nervier knock the opportunity for a party! :)

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I failed about 20 times before I finally quit. I tried everything, patches, Zyban. I finally succeeded with help from smoking clinic and Champix. Extremely hard but well worth it. When the time is right, you'll succeed. If you're not 100% committed it won't work. It wasn't even the money with me, I'd have paid £20 a pack lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
How did you get on with champix? I had to come off it

Sent from my iPad

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well, i haven't smoked for over 4 years so it worked but I did have terrible trouble sleeping and very vivid dreams lol ! I used to wake every hour.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, i haven't smoked for over 4 years so it worked but I did have terrible trouble sleeping and very vivid dreams lol ! I used to wake every hour.

I had very vivid dreams when on 24h nicotine patches. Quite interesting in fact.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Not a party, just a Swedish kafferep but nice anyway. And a reason to clean the house. I bake, hubby cleans.
How have you managed this?! My husband only tidies out of sheer panic when my mother-in-law is about to visit although he is very good at the washing and makes a mean fried breakfast! :)

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[quote="mo1905: When the time is right, you'll succeed. If you're not 100% committed it won't work.

Spot on with that, Mo.

I used to joke that giving up was dead easy - after all, I'd done it dozens of times - but when it comes down to it, something in your mind has to be in synch with your idea of quitting, though even after that, you really have to be careful.

A few years ago, I'd managed to stop for 2 years when, during a particularly boozy night, I found myself accepting a cigarette from a friend. That wasn't a particularly long or slippery slope to finding I was, yet again, completely hooked.

This time I went cold turkey last May, but for no special reason I can think of other than a longstanding notion that I really had to stop ... sometime .... maybe next week ...... maybe sometime never

Well, something clicked, as I've found myself off them ever since. I still get the odd pang, but they're less often and don't last as long as they used to, although I'm not kidding myself that I'm totally over them and couldn't easily go back.

The really good thing is that I often find now that I've actually forgotten that I once smoked and that sometimes lasts for days on end. Downside is I'm not sure if that's a result of quitting or a sign of advancing years ............

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

Reactions: 2 people