Snacking

MrBear2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have just been placed on to insulin therapy however I'm finding it hard not to snack between meals as I'm starving.
Has anyone got any tricks or what do you snack on between meals that does not raise your sugar levels.

Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin are you on and why can't you snack between meals?
Are you eating enough with your meals?

MrBear2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin are you on and why can't you snack between meals?
Are you eating enough with your meals?
I'm on 12units of Insuman basal solostar, i think I eat enough and feel full once I've eaten but since being on this insulin I'm finding I'm wanting to snack. I haven't been told I can't but I also don't know if I can as I'm new to all of this.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm finding I'm wanting to snack. I haven't been told I can't
There is no reason why you can't snack.
If you choose snacks with very little carbs in them they won't likely raise your blood glucose by much.

What about snacking on things like cheese, olives, nuts, natural full fat yoghurt, cold meats, avocado's?

MrBear2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no reason why you can't snack.
If you choose snacks with very little carbs in them they won't likely raise your blood glucose by much.

What about snacking on things like cheese, olives, nuts, natural full fat yoghurt, cold meats, avocado's?

Brill thanks for the advice I'll give some of this a go

Reactions: Antje77

IrishAyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually, there is evidence out there that not snacking can actually help insulin resistance. Eating anything creates an insulin response, so if you can go without having an insulin response for extended periods, it can actually make your insulin resistance improve.

(Mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I have just been placed on to insulin therapy however I'm finding it hard not to snack between meals as I'm starving.
Has anyone got any tricks or what do you snack on between meals that does not raise your sugar levels.

Thanks

What was your HbA1c that led to insulin being prescribed? What meds were you on before..
seems a rather drastic move especially when considering that T2's are insulin over producers...

M

Member496333

Ordinarily, snacking on anything at all is actually the very worst thing you can do for the resting metabolism of a type 2, but I don't know how that fits in with using exogenous insulin, so won't press that point for fear of being reprimanded.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, there is evidence out there that not snacking can actually help insulin resistance. Eating anything creates an insulin response, so if you can go without having an insulin response for extended periods, it can actually make your insulin resistance improve.
@MrBear2016 , there are many ways in which you can improve your diabetes, and not snacking may well be one of them.
But being on insulin in no way means you shouldn't snack!

You'll find many members on this forum having great succes with reducing the carbs they eat, and you may find people advise you to lower your carb intake. However, be very careful should you want to give this a try.
Being on insulin means you can go dangerously low if you suddenly eat less carbs than before.

Another important thing to remember when you're on insulin is to ALWAYS carry something to treat a hypo with, and not go out without your glucose meter on you.
Ordinarily, snacking on anything at all is actually the very worst thing you can do for the resting metabolism of a type 2, but I don't know how that fits in with using exogenous insulin, so won't press that point for fear of being reprimanded.
Not snacking and/or fasting shouldn't be an issue on basal insulin only, as long as you carry glucose in case of a low and a meter to test.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Thanks

Hey there @MrBear2016 ,

What are your blood sugar levels like, when you feel like that snack? (Hopefully your HCPs supplied a BG meter.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Well? Expanding on what I posted upstream. (Asking about BG levels.)
If the basal dose is too high causing hypos. There may be an understandable urge to snack. A wise choice to treat it.
Then look at a pattern & consult with the doc on a dosage tweak...

For some (not me. Though drawn to protein, I go off food completely.) if the BGs are too high? The body can be starved of glucose with it still trapped in the blood. (Either resistance or not enough exogenous dosage?) a feeling of needing to compensate by more food?
Again, as above talk with the consultant.

However, our friend posting? It maybe early days, new to insulin.. There may still be more work to do..

Reactions: MrBear2016

MrBear2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What was your HbA1c that led to insulin being prescribed? What meds were you on before..
seems a rather drastic move especially when considering that T2's are insulin over producers...
My last one was 86 we have never been able to get it any lower with just tablets. This was my first hospital appointment in 5 years after kicking off saying I needed help

MrBear2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there @MrBear2016 ,

What are your blood sugar levels like, when you feel like that snack? (Hopefully your HCPs supplied a BG meter.)

My doctor has always refused to give me a monitor for almost six years.
I've only recently had my first appointment with the diabetic clinic in the hospital and the nurse there issued me one and said it was crazy I had not been referred or had a monitor before

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm averaging aroun 8.2 when I'm feeling like I need to snack
Hi, thanks..
Would you happen to know what your bloods were like prior to starting insulin? Or maybe whilst adjusting to your current dose?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My last one was 86 we have never been able to get it any lower with just tablets. This was my first hospital appointment in 5 years after kicking off saying I needed help

That corresponds to an average blood sugar of around 13mmol/L .

The feelings of hunger may be caused by you just not being used to running at lower levels (called a false hypo) and in that case it should pass as your body gets used to the new lower normal.

What sort of levels are you running at now, with the insulin?

Shocking that they've only just given you a meter. They are supposed to give you a meter once you go on meds that can cause hypos.

Have you tried a dietary approach to controlling your T2 at all?

M

Member496333

Well? Expanding on what I posted upstream. (Asking about BG levels.)
If the basal dose is too high causing hypos. There may be an understandable urge to snack. A wise choice to treat it.
Then look at a pattern & consult with the doc on a dosage tweak...

For some (not me. Though drawn to protein, I go off food completely.) if the BGs are too high? The body can be starved of glucose with it still trapped in the blood. (Either resistance or not enough exogenous dosage?) a feeling of needing to compensate by more food?
Again, as above talk with the consultant.

However, our friend posting? It maybe early days, new to insulin.. There may still be more work to do..

Makes sense. Then I suppose in the setting of type 2 the ideal endgame would be to reduce insulin to a minimum rather than trying to treat it with snacks. Insulin resistance combined with exogenous insulin really is a conundrum. Must be a very fine balancing act. I consider myself fortunate that I've been able to get where I am with diet alone. Anyway that's enough rambling from me. Best of luck to OP.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin resistance combined with exogenous insulin really is a conundrum. Must be a very fine balancing act.
As an insulin resistant T1, I'm happy to report that being insulin resistant and on insulin can work very well!
Of course there are a lot of other ways to improve your diabetes, but this doesn't mean insulin can't be a great help.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome, Personally I avoid snacks, just not worth the rollercoaster, I have some individual cathedral strong cheddar at home and work, if I am very hungry I pop one of those but generally (maybe subconsciously) I think I’ve trained myself to not snack, the cheese has zero or very little effect on my numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBear2016