snacks! what do people eat in between meals! I'm new and starving!!!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar free hartley jelly pots. They are low carb about 1.3g per pot and are delicious! I'm always snacking on them :)

Hartley use aspartame so I use the weightwatchers jelly, no aspartame :)

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Your obviously on a 30/70 mix of insulin, 30% of which is fast acting and 70% slow, you really need to have a snack between meals to keep your blood sugar level at a safe level.

I myself was started on this particular type of insulin when I was diagnosed a s being diabetic.

Regards

Martin

iHs

@leedoak because of the way twice daily insulin affected my bg levels, I Found my best control was to eat carb the little and often way and not 3 meals only per day. I usually had a small snack mid morning and mid afternoon as failure to eat a snack would result in a hypo by the time 3hrs had gone after eating a main meal. My bg was usually around 6 to 7mmol before a main meal so I just adjusted the carb so that my bg was about 8 to 9mmol mid way and adjusted the carb snack so that I could avoid the hypo feeling and be ok till the next main meal.
Eating little and often means not feeling hungry and bodyweight can be kept ok as long as the insulin dose is not set too high requiring more carb to be eaten than ideal. Twice daily insulin is easy to comply with although it doesnt suit some people.

Reactions: 2 people

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and it's complications
I like Peperamis and Babybells for a quick snack.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad i'm reading this after eating lunch !! Some good ideas here, nuts, cheese, slices of meat for me. I find it's hard when you're hungry and pull over at a service station, then try to find something suitable to eat - arrrrrghhh !!!

@Robinredbreast Me too - am always hungry !!

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
A slice of cheese on a slice of cheese I enjoy.
Sometimes I put the slice of cheese on a slice of cheese on top of a slice of cheese that's placed the wrong way round for variety.
I like cheese.
Cheese with a thin spread of Marmite.
Chicken fried up with onions and some spicy sauce stirred in if you like that kind of thing and cheese slices melted into it and in a wrap if you can handle a wrap or lettuce or cabbage leaf instead of wrap.
The cheese slices are brilliant and make it very Kentucky chicken like.
I freeze them and come back for them another time.