Snacks.

Sunnygirl1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi im newly diagnosed. On metaform. Gradually increasing dose. Trouble is i often feel so hungry im so used to having sweets ect when im peckish-what can i do to ease the hinger panges. I have fruit but that doesnt help.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome @Sunnygirl1 . @daisy please could you post new person information. This forum is super. Full of friendly supportive people. Many people on here use the low carb high fat diet (lchf). As a result snacks could be cheese, nuts , celery. Have you looked at the food And nutrition section.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, have nuts, berries or cheese as a snack and you will gradually forget sweet things as a snack.

Reactions: 2 people

Sunnygirl1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I dont like nuts and have my allowance of cheese with a salad. Is it ok to have a pack of snack a jacks. I also got some oatcakes cheese flavour. Im so worried about all of this and my GP is as much good as a chocolate teapot.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi im newly diagnosed. On metaform. Gradually increasing dose. Trouble is i often feel so hungry im so used to having sweets ect when im peckish-what can i do to ease the hinger panges. I have fruit but that doesnt help.
I know this doesn't sound very exciting....but, boil several eggs in one go, and every time you get urge to eat...peel and eat one and have a cup of tea/coffee. Egg will take the edge off from hunger and cravings and keep you going on for quite a while.
Nuts does that same to me but since you don't like them...
I try to keep off from snacking altogether...and have satisfying breakkie, something in mid-day and good evening meal...all those with enough fats and I'm really not hungry at all and need any 'quick' snack food...;)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dont like nuts and have my allowance of cheese with a salad. Is it ok to have a pack of snack a jacks. I also got some oatcakes cheese flavour. Im so worried about all of this and my GP is as much good as a chocolate teapot.
Hi @sunnygirl. What sort of diet are you following where you eat fruit and have an allowance of cheese? A lot of the people on this forum follow a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating. We avoid or limit starchy carbohydrates as they turn to sugar in our bodies, and eat more healthy fats like cream, butter and cheese to provide the energy we would have got from carbs.So cheese is ok for us. Fruits aren't good for diabetics as they contain sugars, though berries seem to be ok.

Snack a Jacks are made from rice and contain a high carb content if I recall correctly, so I have stopped eating them. I don't know what the carb content of oatcakes is, but most cereals are high in carbs. If you think that LCHF would work for you need to check the carb content shown on packets and eat things that are have less than 10% carbohydrate content and preferably less than 5%.