1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Snacks

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by ladybird64, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Apologies in advance as I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it? I'm battling binge eating at the moment, I'm pretty au fait with lower carb meals but my problem is grazing. I know it shouldn't be the case with low carb, but for me personally I know it's a major issue, and if I have some ideas of what to attack when the mood overwhelms me, I can manage so much better.

I know eggs, cheese and ham but any ideas for something more tasty? Um...and I hate pork scratchings, sorry! That's the type of thing I'm after though.

ta:)

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Nuts? Olives? Celery? Pumpkin seeds? None of those should effect bs much. I like to graze too. Large meals aren't good for me so I graze

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All good, thanks. Bar the celery:yuck:. My bingeing really takes hold with grazing so what do we think the best way is to measure portions? I find it very hard to stop at a "handful" of this or that..know I'm being pedantic but humour me please:D. Also like very strong flavours, chili, or salt and pepper or strong spices..drool..aarghh, no, I won't hit the fridge at nearly 1am!:oops:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I make and love Cajun pumpkin seeds and they certainly are hard to limit. I myself am not always good with just a handful either but working on mind over matter. I do find eating makes for more eating so I try not to and the more I do the more I do if that makes sense. Working on dropping a few pounds son trying to concentrate on that but sometimes I just don't care. I crave salt too. Salty nuts/ seeds. Yum. I guess I now know how many effect bs and how many doesn't. Testing....

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Neohdiver

Neohdiver Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are some amazing almonds with strong flavors by Blue Diamond (Salt 'n Vinegar, Habanero Barbecue, Honey Dijon, Sriracha, Lime 'n Chili, and Wasabi Soy Sauce). 28 almonds = 1 oz (170 calories).

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. RobPL

RobPL · Well-Known Member

Pepparami, sugar free sweets, home made cheese crisps, hard boiled eggs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Kale crisps, cashew nuts, cold chicken, cream cheese on salami slices?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I like strong spicy things too, and spicy peperami, slices of chorizo and salami, and onion bhajis are good.

9. jal16

jal16 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got some spicy seeds and roasted seeds last week by the Food Doctor. They were 50g bags with a total of about 5 carbs in the whole bag. Mine were 4 for £1 in Fultons but Tesco sell bigger bags. ;)

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Seaweed crisps are umami enough for me, yet extremely low in calories and carbs (especially the chilli or wasabi flavoured ones from Oriental supermarkets)

Still, as I have a problem with addictive overeating, I find it easier to completely avoid snacks whenever possible. I'd rather grab a couple of chicken thighs from the freezer, cook and eat them (or any other full meal type of food). Don't always succeed, but it helps on the whole...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Why not make a load of cucumber slices and use them like crackers for carrying peanut butter, phili, mayo, hot sauce or whatever you fancy.

12. amgrundy

amgrundy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi I am a snacker too sometimes, I snack on nuts mainly unsalted cashews or pistachios / the odd small bag of pork scratchings Alpro almond or coconut yogurt with raspberries and Lidl gogi berry and linseed mix. :hungry:

13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

14. chocoholicnomore

chocoholicnomore Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can fully empathise with you A. Snacking is my big problem. I found another thread the other night about cashew nuts....... I bought a bag tonight in asda and they're finished already. Yummy and did the trick for me!

• Like Like x 5
  15. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Microwave parmesan crisps, nut balls/fat balls/low carb "Bounty Bars", a dollop of nut butter or a little coconut butter, a couple of pieces of high cocoa (75%+) dark chocolate, coffee with cream, mug of homemade soup or stock cube with a dollop of (sour) cream, cheese, olives, small avocado, salami, leftover high (95%) meat sausage, nuts, small low carb muffins or cookies.... Most of these are high in fats/oils (and are low or lacking in carbs) so small amounts should be filling, and will often do for me instead of a full meal...

Robbity

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook