So confused

SIMPS321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tested this morning 6.1
After a 25km cycle ride pre meal I tested 4.2, 2.5 hours later post meal I am 5.2 , can anybody tell me if that’s good or bad ?, I might add I have been sticking strictly to 130g carb intake

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tested this morning 6.1
After a 25km cycle ride pre meal I tested 4.2, 2.5 hours later post meal I am 5.2 , can anybody tell me if that’s good or bad ?, I might add I have been sticking strictly to 130g carb intake
What exactly are you confused about?

SIMPS321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as I said I was 6.1 on getting out of bed , the 4.2 after a long ride I can understand and the slight rise after eating , it’s the morning 6.1 I can’t fathom ?

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Post meal 5.2mmol/L is good.
What would your pre and postmeal blood sugar values be for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and any Snacks
on a typical day?

SIMPS321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Post meal 5.2mmol/L is good.
What would your pre and postmeal blood sugar values be for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and any Snacks
on a typical day?
I’m really not sure I’m still trying to find my way, any tips on the best way of doing this would be great

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
it’s the morning 6.1 I can’t fathom ?
The morning number is often the last to drop, because your liver dumps glucose in your bloodstream to help get you going for the day, liver doesn't know you're having trouble dealing with this glucose.

However, a morning number of 6.1 is very decent, and if the other numbers are what you're usually seeing your next hba1c should be well below the prediabetic cut-off, well done!

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is '130g carb intake' in your opening post 'daily carb intake'?

SIMPS321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is '130g carb intake' in your opening post 'daily carb intake'?
Yes that’s what my GP‘s diabetes nurse says that’s what the NHS is recommending, it’s ok once you get used to it but boy u sure get hungry!!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Surely you only get hungry on 130gms carbs per day if you don't add in extra protein and fat to compensate for the calories that would have been in the extra carbs you have cut out.
I only eat around 20gms to 40gms of carbs per day (eating to my meter), but I eat lots of meat, fish, eggs, cheese, all of which have lots of protein and fat.to fuel me for the day.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that’s what my GP‘s diabetes nurse says that’s what the NHS is recommending, it’s ok once you get used to it but boy u sure get hungry!!
What are you eating?
Have you roughly counted your calories to see if you have a decent intake? There shouldn't be a need to go hungry, but you do need to eat enough, especially with that level of exercise you'll need more calories than average.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't get hungry eating under 40 gm of carbs a day - which is what I need to keep my blood glucose in check - but I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese and other full fat dairy, and have cream in my coffee.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @SIMPS321

In relation to the 6.1 I suggest you google 'dawn phenomena ' I found that really useful information.

I relation to getting hungry I agree with the previous posters that you need to eat sufficient protein and fat to keep you satisfied. If you are constantly hungry the way you are eating will not be sustainable. There are many here who do well on that level of carbs or even lower.

Good luck and welcome.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Yes that’s what my GP‘s diabetes nurse says that’s what the NHS is recommending

Most Dr's and nurses in the NHS believe that T2 is progressive, they expect that over time your blood sugar levels will get worse and you will need an ever increasing amount of drugs. The reason they believe this is because that's exactly what they see in the patients that follow their outdated advice.

SIMPS321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most Dr's and nurses in the NHS believe that T2 is progressive, they expect that over time your blood sugar levels will get worse and you will need an ever increasing amount of drugs. The reason they believe this is because that's exactly what they see in the patients that follow their outdated advice.
To be honest as someone who sits in front of a doc or nurse who are we to argue with a so called expert? I knew zero about diabetes before that visit , I tried and failed with slow release Metformin as I was continually visiting the toilet rather more than I liked so am I now to continue with this extreme diet or try another drug ?, I also have to consider the fact that I am a hgv driver and don’t want to lose my livelihood, I’m not sure if or what drug is next on the agenda and if the DVLA allow it!! , For now I will keep at what I’m doing and try to add more protein with it

Dark Horse

I think your comment may be a bit confusing. The NHS in this case appear to be recommending a reduction in carbs to 130g per day rather than drugs.

SIMPS321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your comment may be a bit confusing. The NHS in this case appear to be recommending a reduction in carbs to 130g per day rather than drugs.
Yes that’s is partly true but they also prescribed slow release Metformin but as I state above it wasn’t suitable for me , I’m hopeful there is a alternative

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I think the point being made was even 130g a day is still way too much for many if not most type 2.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest as someone who sits in front of a doc or nurse who are we to argue with a so called expert? I knew zero about diabetes before that visit , I tried and failed with slow release Metformin as I was continually visiting the toilet rather more than I liked so am I now to continue with this extreme diet or try another drug ?, I also have to consider the fact that I am a hgv driver and don’t want to lose my livelihood, I’m not sure if or what drug is next on the agenda and if the DVLA allow it!! , For now I will keep at what I’m doing and try to add more protein with it
We are. Because many have read and studied more about this specific condition as it effects them than their GP has, especially in relation to nutritional elements. They just read the circulars and repeat the advice given them. We are because we have tried tested and binned the standard advice in favour of alternatives that work better.

Low carb is not an extreme diet. It’s retraining your tastebuds away from glucose (sugar) or foods that become glucose on digestion towards foods that are full of beneficial nutrients. I’m not sure how old you are but pre the 1970’s people ate unprocessed foods at meal times. The adding of sugar to everything was unheard of. The constant grazing of food was unheard of. Low fat foods with all sorts of nasties added in to replace real natural fats were unheard of. All the grain based options were seriously limited. In fact prior to 50 years ago we all ate a much lower carb diet than society does now. So which is the fad (that brought diabetes and obesity to half the population) and which is the one forcing our population to eat extreme foods we simply cannot cope with in a healthy way?

Oh and just popping a different pill might solve the blood glucose problems for now (maybe not your driving problems though) but it’s unlikely to address the underlying issues long term. Research shows just taking the drugs doesn’t stop the progression, just slows it down a bit. The underlying problem in type 2 is resistance to insulin and inability to use it well. We tend to overproduce our inefficient insulin in order to lower our high glucose level. The same high insulin level adds to our resistance of it. And the cycle deteriorates. Few of the drugs address this and just focus on the symptom of high glucose leaving insulin resistance to get worse. The way to reduce insulin levels is to demand less of it. Which means less glucose, which is achievable by putting less of it in our mouths in the first place.

Last edited:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I think your comment may be a bit confusing.

When I was diagnosed my Dr said I should have at least 150gm of carbs a day., eat wholemeal bread/pasta brown rice, lots of fruit and veg. Eat fish and lean meats like chicken, try to avoid too much red meat, dairy and eggs. Oh yes and self testing was a waste of time.
Three months later my hba1c had gone up so had my weight. She said that as I couldn't stick to the diet I would have to have some medication and prescribed metformin.
So follow Dr's advice, get worse and then get accused of not following her advice.
Now that's what I call confusing, thank heavens I found this place

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Dark Horse

When I was diagnosed my Dr said I should have at least 150gm of carbs a day., eat wholemeal bread/pasta brown rice, lots of fruit and veg. Eat fish and lean meats like chicken, try to avoid too much red meat, dairy and eggs. Oh yes and self testing was a waste of time.
Three months later my hba1c had gone up so had my weight. She said that as I couldn't stick to the diet I would have to have some medication and prescribed metformin.
So follow Dr's advice, get worse and then get accused of not following her advice.
Now that's what I call confusing, thank heavens I found this place
From yout past experience, I can see why you might assume that the OP was being told to eat at least 130g of carbohydrate a day. However, I assumed as they said they were 'sticking strictly to 130g carb' and were hungry that they were limiting their carbohydrate intake to low carb levels (albeit the top of the range) rather than trying to achieve a minimum carbohydrate intake. Some people start low carbing at the top of the range and then titrate downwards if not getting the desired effect. I think @HSSS's comment that 'even 130g a day is still way too much for many if not most type 2' is clear.

Of course, it's always possible that I may have misinterpreted the OP's initial post.