so did we type 2' inflict this disease ?

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By eating the wrong foods, being over weight or not exercising, did we cause it upon ourselves through stress even ?
Either way are we actually ill or is it something we could not help happening to us ?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We must share some responsibility, and not to do so is just kidding yourself, but metabolic disorders are far more complicated than that, and no one thing is the cause.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We must share some responsibility, and not to do so is just kidding yourself, but metabolic disorders are far more complicated than that, and no one thing is the cause.
Thank you , my dad was type 2 and had many other illnesses that is what scares me, so i want this reversing . I know it isn't a cure but its nearly as , so if by keeping the numbers low which they are i feel i am doing okay .

I was over weight but not morbidly so i am quite peeved that i got it when a few of my family members are obese and don't have type 2 .

Reactions: kokhongw
D

Deleted member 308541

I did not deliberately inflict T2 diabetes on myself, it happened over a longish period of years through eating on the run, stress, and bad food choices at the time.

If ya gunna get it, ya gunna get it if ya aint careful.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not deliberately inflict T2 diabetes on myself, it happened over a longish period of years through eating on the run, stress, and bad food choices at the time.

If ya gunna get it, ya gunna get it if ya aint careful.
Thanks i do think stress and anxiety disorder is a huge contributor to getting it too .

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charis1213 what is the point of looking back much better to look forward. When I got online access to my medical records I discovered I has abnormal glucose 9 and 7 years previously when being blood tested for other reasons. But what is the point of me dwelling on that its what happens from now on that mayters IMO.

Hotpepper20000

Nope I did not cause it. I have PCOS and as a result extreme insulin resistance and that caused me to gain weight.
I always have been active, and eaten what would be for the general public healthy food.
I cooked and have my own garden, so never ate much packaged food.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time I see people blaming themselves, I point out that there are other people living good, bad and ‘unhealthy’ lifestyles who do not get T2.

And there are people who live the best ‘healthiest’ most aware, careful, sensible lifestyle they can, and they still get it.

Blame is an utter waste of time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One other thing, it is always unfair. Any illness is unfair. But it happens, and we have to make a decision - how we are going to deal with it. Same with every other disease, co-morbidity or health condition.

We can always come up with reasons why it shouldn’t have happened to me.
But it did.
And the important thing is what we do about it.

Reactions: Charis1213

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I'm with the sentiment of not looking back but looking forwards and becoming healthier, I can safely say my diet and lifestyle now is so much healthier than that of any one of my friends or family and a lot of chronic conditions are leaving me. I'm planning on living my best life, sure I have the diabetes demon on my back but you know what? I'm doing strength training ;)

Don't blame yourself, you're doing your best and @Brunneria said it all so well, it's what you choose to do now which is important and here's a good point too, those people that don't have it probably don't know they do or are brewing a worse end than you ever would do with a good and healthy lifestyle.

Reactions: Sue192 and jjraak

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
For a long time I was angry at the guidelines. I purposefully ate the oats, white flour pancakes just with lemon, low fat cherry corner yogurt, punnets of grapes and branded Orange juice fruits etc. No directly added sugar in anything, minimal alcohol. I would take my time around a supermarket and chose dates for example. Within 1 month I was on the road to raging diabetes after making the effort to be healthier and exacerbated the situation by drinking litres of more Orange when the diabetic thirst came in.

I do feel everyone should have a basic knowledge that carbs turn to sugar which should be taught, had I have known this, my logic would have taken me to different choices. I only had to lose 7 kg to turn 134 HbA1c to 41, food knowledge is key. So the fat lie as I see it, producing a default carb environment is a population crime. Strong words but my diet if laid out looked typically healthy, e.g. Brown / basmati rice, home made soda and banana breads, mainly home cooked meals - unfortunately full of carbs.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a long time I was angry at the guidelines. I purposefully ate the oats, white flour pancakes just with lemon, low fat cherry corner yogurt, punnets of grapes and branded Orange juice fruits etc. No directly added sugar in anything, minimal alcohol. I would take my time around a supermarket and chose dates for example. Within 1 month I was on the road to raging diabetes after making the effort to be healthier and exacerbated the situation by drinking litres of more Orange when the diabetic thirst came in.

I do feel everyone should have a basic knowledge that carbs turn to sugar which should be taught, had I have known this, my logic would have taken me to different choices. I only had to lose 7 kg to turn 134 HbA1c to 41, food knowledge is key. So the fat lie as I see it, producing a default carb environment is a population crime. Strong words but my diet if laid out looked typically healthy, e.g. Brown / basmati rice, home made soda and banana breads, mainly home cooked meals - unfortunately full of carbs.
Very similar to myself.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charis1213 what is the point of looking back much better to look forward. When I got online access to my medical records I discovered I has abnormal glucose 9 and 7 years previously when being blood tested for other reasons. But what is the point of me dwelling on that its what happens from now on that mayters IMO.
I'm struggling with depression right now and my mind is in turmoil about how and why when and what , its part of my illness .

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with the sentiment of not looking back but looking forwards and becoming healthier, I can safely say my diet and lifestyle now is so much healthier than that of any one of my friends or family and a lot of chronic conditions are leaving me. I'm planning on living my best life, sure I have the diabetes demon on my back but you know what? I'm doing strength training ;)

Don't blame yourself, you're doing your best and @Brunneria said it all so well, it's what you choose to do now which is important and here's a good point too, those people that don't have it probably don't know they do or are brewing a worse end than you ever would do with a good and healthy lifestyle.

wow you have brought your numbers down fast how the heck did you do that 114 in December and now down to 41, i thought mine was an achievement , mine was 106 in November last year and down to 59 in February, you've done miraculously .

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
wow you have brought your numbers down fast how the heck did you do that 114 in December and now down to 41, i thought mine was an achievement , mine was 106 in November last year and down to 59 in February, you've done miraculously .

Thanks to going Keto and practicing the 16:8 fasting method mostly. Was on sitagliptin and Metformin at the time but now just on the latter with no increase in BG.

I do believe you can do the same and get that number down!

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to going Keto and practicing the 16:8 fasting method mostly. Was on sitagliptin and Metformin at the time but now just on the latter with no increase in BG.

I do believe you can do the same and get that number down!
I am doing keto too, but never had that result, i am not good at fasting either and to be honest i haven't counted fat protein carbs , i have just eaten low carb high fat , it was 11 weeks after starting keto i had my A1c , how long were on keto before you had your A1c ? I refused Metformin so was only keto .

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am doing keto too, but never had that result, i am not good at fasting either and to be honest i haven't counted fat protein carbs , i have just eaten low carb high fat , it was 11 weeks after starting keto i had my A1c , how long were on keto before you had your A1c ? I refused Metformin so was only keto .

Was pretty recent, started keto in February and even stopped taking sitagliptin myself through a mess up in the pharmacy so it worked out well, January was a month of ups and downs for me till I came to the forum and got some **** good advice. I feel that 16:8 is the easier one, skipping out on breakfast and not eating after 8pm and only eating when it hits lunch, just having a coffee with cream for breakfast. May just take a little while to shift the excess glucose that is swimming around that's all for you.

Reactions: jjraak

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was pretty recent, started keto in February and even stopped taking sitagliptin myself through a mess up in the pharmacy so it worked out well, January was a month of ups and downs for me till I came to the forum and got some **** good advice. I feel that 16:8 is the easier one, skipping out on breakfast and not eating after 8pm and only eating when it hits lunch, just having a coffee with cream for breakfast. May just take a little while to shift the excess glucose that is swimming around that's all for you.
I can't go without breakfast i am full time carer for my mum who is in a wheelchair i need energy lol, I will see what my A1c is in August even if its a steady drop that will be good for me . I was happy with the result without medications , so see what happens next .

Reactions: jjraak

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can't go without breakfast i am full time carer for my mum who is in a wheelchair i need energy lol, I will see what my A1c is in August even if its a steady drop that will be good for me . I was happy with the result without medications , so see what happens next .

Fingers crossed here that it is lower for you and gives you a good surprise!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do I wish the poor results of tests 10 or 15 yrs ago had been highlighted to me . Yes. Would I have taken the potential risks highlighted seriously. Maybe. What would have made the difference? The drs presentation of the results.

I see it as a gun playing Russian roulette. The actions I take are the trigger. Do I pull it or not? Regardless of that choice is simultaneously the genetic element I have little to no knowledge of ie is there a bullet in the chamber?

For me there was a bullet and I pulled the trigger. Without one or the other I might have missed the diagnosis.

Last edited: