so did we type 2' inflict this disease ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't go without breakfast i am full time carer for my mum who is in a wheelchair i need energy lol, I will see what my A1c is in August even if its a steady drop that will be good for me . I was happy with the result without medications , so see what happens next .
I only eat twice a day, morning and evening, and am never short of energy - I have gone back to work after some years of retirement because I feel so much better. It is quite common for people eating low carb to miss lunch, because they don't feel hungry.

Reactions: Charis1213

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes, life isn't a zero sum game.
There is no blame or acclaim.
Everything you do has a consequence, and once you understand that and accept those consequences you can move forward.

I see said the blind man with a cast in his eye as my old dad used to say.

Some times the consequences arise out of the actions or inactions of others there are things that are totally beyond your control and there is a randomness to life that thankfully makes it somewhat unpredictable.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a long time I was angry at the guidelines. I purposefully ate the oats, white flour pancakes just with lemon, low fat cherry corner yogurt, punnets of grapes and branded Orange juice fruits etc. No directly added sugar in anything, minimal alcohol. I would take my time around a supermarket and chose dates for example. Within 1 month I was on the road to raging diabetes after making the effort to be healthier and exacerbated the situation by drinking litres of more Orange when the diabetic thirst came in.

I do feel everyone should have a basic knowledge that carbs turn to sugar which should be taught, had I have known this, my logic would have taken me to different choices. I only had to lose 7 kg to turn 134 HbA1c to 41, food knowledge is key. So the fat lie as I see it, producing a default carb environment is a population crime. Strong words but my diet if laid out looked typically healthy, e.g. Brown / basmati rice, home made soda and banana breads, mainly home cooked meals - unfortunately full of carbs.

I feel the same. I was vegetarian and had a lovely plant based diet with lots of whole grains, lentils sweet potatoes etc. And very little dairy. I wasn’t overweight or had any symptoms (or nothing that couldn’t be attributed to something else) and it was a huge shock when diagnosed via a blood test for something else. I did know that carbs turn to glucose but it wasn’t at the forefront of my mind. I thought I was eating the perfect diet. Oh how wrong could I have been. As soon as I went low carb my Hba1c went from 112 to 36 in three months! No looking back now. Just want to protect my children and their health future.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charis1213 you seem a bit down and as a full time carer I wonder if you get any time to look after yourself. I think we all came to diagnosis from different back stories but the really great thing about being on here is we all understand how tricky it can be and get support and encouragement from each other. How quickly our HBA1c reduces eating less carbs is individual and if you keep going I am sure you will get there. Be kind to yourself. Best wishes.

Reactions: zand

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel the same. I was vegetarian and had a lovely plant based diet with lots of whole grains, lentils sweet potatoes etc. And very little dairy. I wasn’t overweight or had any symptoms (or nothing that couldn’t be attributed to something else) and it was a huge shock when diagnosed via a blood test for something else. I did know that carbs turn to glucose but it wasn’t at the forefront of my mind. I thought I was eating the perfect diet. Oh how wrong could I have been. As soon as I went low carb my Hba1c went from 112 to 36 in three months! No looking back now. Just want to protect my children and their health future.
Same here - low fat, low or no sugar milk and yoghurt, whole meal bread, brown rice and pasta, jacket potatoes, bran flakes for b/fast, 5 portions of fruit a day inc bananas and grapes because these were soooo good for us in fact my diet was so healthy it was a ‘paragon of virtue’ so what went wrong?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Charis1213 you seem a bit down and as a full time carer I wonder if you get any time to look after yourself. Be kind to yourself. Best wishes.

Beautiful, @PenguinMum ..so bang on the money.

SO easy to run yourself ragged looking after others.:nurse:

Auntie pengie talks so much sense @Charis1213
your doing great, and i think the remarkable tumble in numbers early on, MAY be hard to match each set, but you seem to be sensible in considering changes however they arrive as welcome.

same as myself, really.
anywhere inside normal range is MY intended target next HBA1c test.. :bookworm:

then i'll consider where i am and how i move forward.......but one step at a time :)

Reactions: Charis1213

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes - healthy diets - I used all the paperwork on 'healthy' cholesterol reducing (it didn't) dieting to light a fire for barbecuing out in the garden - and I danced around it gleefully as the steak sizzled.