1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So far so good ...

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by DawnOfTheZed, Aug 10, 2019.

1. DawnOfTheZed

DawnOfTheZed · Well-Known Member

An update on my dx. Initial hba1c was 54. Felt awful for 18 mths prior. Came here, read lots of great info and posts.

I went low carb almost immediately and started feeling better. 3 mths on, with 0.5 g metformin, down to 42 and fatigue improved enough to start back with exercise. Lost 7 kg. Continued next 3 mths with 1 g metformin, down to hb 38 and had lost further 4 kg. Switched to Cambridge 1:1 (low cal), same meds, lost further 8 kg, hba1c still 39.

Am hoping not to get burnout. Thanks everyone for making this forum amazing!

• Winner Winner x 10
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very well done, keep it up!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations,what a super job youve done!That is really taking charge!! :)

So,what diet/lifestyle choice is next after the weight loss? Do you know yet?

• Like Like x 2
  4. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

yay you :)
    really interested in this because that describes me (so obvs very interesting:D)
    can you describe the "awful"? just curious really.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DawnOfTheZed

Thank you. Awful = v tired, brain fog in waves - chronic poor mental function with episodes where I could hardly speak, bought an automatic car coz found driving difficult, v dry lips but not thirsty, emotional - easily hangry, obv stuff but took 3 visits to the GP before appropriate blood tests arranged. As others have said before, in the end it has been a blessing in disguise.

It's been easy to keep the diet coz I feel so much better now, almost back to my old self.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. DawnOfTheZed

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This! and hurrah :joyful:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DawnOfTheZed

Sorry for delayed reply. Am still focussing on trying to lose weight. It's going quite slowly now. BMI is still >25 and I'd like to reduce some noticeable fat. Don't want to think about afters yet much. Am thinking it'll prob be LCHF. I can't go back to my old ways or the problems will return.

9. UsmanMo96

UsmanMo96 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You've done very well. You knew your health wasnt great and took action and you've lost weight a lot of weight. Continue with this greatness.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Great stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook