So, how much jelly?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wish I could have jelly or jelly babies etc but it stops my stomach working so a big no no.... :(:(:(

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Greetings all jelly fans and non jelly fans. I like jelly, on it's own, with cream, with vanilla yoghurt, and ice cream (just a bit). Yes it does cure that bit of a need for something sweet-ish and fruity flavoured. When I can I put fruit into the jelly to give it more substances, well it helps towards one of my five-ish a day.,,,,,,organic was mentioned,, well call me thick,,,I always thought anything that grows is 'organic' but it seems now, it where it goes and what in ????? but why if they are using less stuff,,,, why does it cost so much more ????, so the debate goes on, me I cannot afford 'organic' products, so I will just have to stick with the ordinary stuff, well for now. ttfn from Karen.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[
OMG OMG OMG. Read all ten pages of this thread and it's put me off ever eating jelly again. Bits of ground up pig junk, seaweed, sachets of additive laden powders, wobbly slimy horribly sweet gunk completely detracting from all that deliciously sumptuous luxurious organic cream.

Mmmm, PIG JUNK..

anigif_enhanced-13797-1392119265-2.gif

Reactions: 9 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But...Nigella makes anything look good.

I like jelly, however for the longest time I thought you were talking about preserves, not Jello (as we call it in the States). I never think to eat "jelly", but I should.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But...Nigella makes anything look good.

I like jelly, however for the longest time I thought you were talking about preserves, not Jello (as we call it in the States). I never think to eat "jelly", but I should.
Hi,
No we're talking about the wobbly stuff.. Lol (I love the cultural mix up thing.) "Preserves" are called jam in the UK. Which I feel sounds cooler.. The term "Jello" (to my mind) also has a bit Enid Blyton "jolly go show" about it..
Personally, I don't touch any of it. Neither have I fond memories of spotted **** & nanny in the dorms..!:D

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I have now given up on jelly/jello. In my youth, when I was known to eat raw Chivers or Hartleys jelly cubes, any old flavour, I didn't know about chia seeds and almond milk. I wait until they turn into jellied blobs a bit like frog spawn and then go from there.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I have now given up on jelly/jello. In my youth, when I was known to eat raw Chivers or Hartleys jelly cubes, any old flavour, I didn't know about chia seeds and almond milk. I wait until they turn into jellied blobs a bit like frog spawn and then go from there.

Thankyou - you've just reminded me of the bag of chia seeds in the cupboard.
The lemon chia pud i made was delish!

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love jelly too...just getting back on the lchf wagon after a longish fall off.....jelly helps me so much. I sometime add in chia but you have to keep stirring or they all set at the bottom, but my favourite way is the 'magic jelly' where you make it up as normal but then add in a couple of tablespoons of double cream before popping into the fridge, don't know the science but the jelly and cream separate and it forms a lovely rich layer on the top!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
No we're talking about the wobbly stuff.. Lol (I love the cultural mix up thing.) "Preserves" are called jam in the UK. Which I feel sounds cooler.. The term "Jello" (to my mind) also has a bit Enid Blyton "jolly go show" about it..
Personally, I don't touch any of it. Neither have I fond memories of spotted **** & nanny in the dorms..!:D

Well, now you are just speaking a foreign language! :p

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Well, now you are just speaking a foreign language! :p

:eek: So I avoided Spotted **** at school and Mum in her wisdom never made it, but I didn't know about 'Nanny in the Dorms', is it the same pudding or another pudding, is what I want to know. Feel I missed out on my education.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemon chia pud is very easy.

I use about 300mls water, 7-8 heaped tablespoons chia, the juice and zest of 1-2 lemons (depending on size), sweetener, and very thick cream.

Mix the water, lemon juice, zest and sweetener together. Adjust quantities to taste.

You are looking for a REALLY intense lemony taste, that isnt too sweet.
Once you have the flavour right, just add the chia seeds, stir, and set the whole thing aside till the chia seeds have thickened (several hours).

Serve with the thick cream (that's double cream to us Brits) ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

YES!
I love chia pud. And your post made me realise it is because it reminds me of my Grandma's milky puds.

Tapioca (frogspawn, especially the BIG bobbles)
Semolina
Ground rice
Rice Pud

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemon chia pud is very easy.

I use about 300mls water, 7-8 heaped tablespoons chia, the juice and zest of 1-2 lemons (depending on size), sweetener, and very thick cream.

Mix the water, lemon juice, zest and sweetener together. Adjust quantities to taste.

You are looking for a REALLY intense lemony taste, that isnt too sweet.
Once you have the flavour right, just add the chia seeds, stir, and set the whole thing aside till the chia seeds have thickened (several hours).

Serve with the thick cream (that's double cream to us Brits) ;)

How much cream @Brunneria ? This looks delicious! I like tapioca pudding too, so the fish-eye quality of chia pudding does not put me off at all. I am a big fan of the lemon fat bombs, because they are the perfect sweet end to a meal or when I have the occasional sweet craving. Lemon pudding is just...well, awesome.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YES!
I love chia pud. And your post made me realise it is because it reminds me of my Grandma's milky puds.

Tapioca (frogspawn, especially the BIG bobbles)
Semolina
Ground rice
Rice Pud

I was scared of the brown skin on home made rice pudding until told that it was mainly nutmeg. Cans didn't have the nutmeg skin, but they didn't taste as nice. I guess homemade egg custard could be low carb when you leave out the pastry and the sugar and add loads of vanilla. I might try warming up chia pud for the winter instead of leaving it icy. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much cream @Brunneria ? This looks delicious! I like tapioca pudding too, so the fish-eye quality of chia pudding does not put me off at all. I am a big fan of the lemon fat bombs, because they are the perfect sweet end to a meal or when I have the occasional sweet craving. Lemon pudding is just...well, awesome.

Well, i think, since you are adding the cream after, you should just keep tipping til the cream pot is empty. You may, of course, want to wimp out before that point, but it would hardly be in the spirit of the thread... ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started making chia pudding with fruit teas as the base. Lemon and ginger lovely. So is blackcurrant.
Did have a choc and coconut cream one that was good too.
Going to use peppermint tea and some chocolate in the next one.

Reactions: 7 people