So, how much jelly?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my raspberry jelly with a dollop of cream washed down with cream coffee. Yummmmm!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooh Noooooo! :eek::eek:

This is just TOO cruel!
Just to test your hypothesis even further, does jelly still have this effect if eaten earlier in the day, much like caffeine not being drunk X hours before bedtime ?
Signy

:sorry:
*nods feebly*
Tested several times, to make sure.
:sorry::sorry::sorry:
:grumpy:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And BG after an hour was 5!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
*nods feebly*
Tested several times, to make sure.
:sorry::sorry::sorry:
:grumpy:

I'm thinking it's the sweetner or additives , so just been googling for recipes. All contain fruit juice and /or fruit, differing forms of sweetner or sugar byanothername ! Grrrr!:banghead:

So we need some lateral thinking here ....

Flavoured water + gelatine + Stevia ? Am I sounding desperate on behalf of another addi....err...devotee here ?:eek:;)

Signy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know, I've been wracking my little grey cells too.

You can get 'all natural' water flavourings called Aromhuset from Amazon. And they are actually lovely. Designed to add to fizzy water.
And there's gelatine, of course, but it would look like solid clear water.
Because I'm assuming that food colourings would have a bad effect on a delicate little flower like myself...

And I can't help thinking that colourless jelly, with a couple of drops of fruit flavouring, would somehow be lacking.

I admit... with great reluctance... and a sense of loss... that I may have to... go without jelly.

I know, I know, it's a dreadful thing.

I will adjust... in time. Maybe.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know, I've been wracking my little grey cells too.

You can get 'all natural' water flavourings called Aromhuset from Amazon. And they are actually lovely. Designed to add to fizzy water.
And there's gelatine, of course, but it would look like solid clear water.
Because I'm assuming that food colourings would have a bad effect on a delicate little flower like myself...

And I can't help thinking that colourless jelly, with a couple of drops of fruit flavouring, would somehow be lacking.

I admit... with great reluctance... and a sense of loss... that I may have to... go without jelly.

I know, I know, it's a dreadful thing.

I will adjust... in time. Maybe.

:(:(:(

I agree, pale looking jelly sounds really unappealing. :(

Maybe, as a half way house.... instead of cold turkey ....Scandi's recipe for low carb ice cream ? Or , or, or, how about just whipped cream , with vanilla essence or natural flavouring of some kind? In little pots? Jelly pots ?

(Now, I'm really sounding desperate in the face of such deprivation! )

Signy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:(:(:(

I agree, pale looking jelly sounds really unappealing. :(

Maybe, as a half way house.... instead of cold turkey ....Scandi's recipe for low carb ice cream ? Or , or, or, how about just whipped cream , with vanilla essence or natural flavouring of some kind? In little pots? Jelly pots ?

(Now, I'm really sounding desperate in the face of such deprivation! )

Signy

Hmm... What is that Italian dessert that is basically whipped cream and alcohol... On the tip of my...

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I never knew jelly was so exciting!

For the record, I like mine mashed up with strawberries and cream. It's called a Tumble Jumble in this house - kids named it and they have custard and sprinkles with theirs.

Sugar free custard?? Asda, here I come....

I've found no added sugar custard in tesco and sainsbury too. Yummy. Now about to eat rhubarb and custard mmmmmmm.:hungry:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything in moderation I say! A little bit of jelly won't kill us if it keeps the sweet tooth at bay...better some jelly than a pack of biscuits or sweets ;)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thank you, I'd given up on finding vegie SF jelly as all my local supermarkets had stopped selling Weightwatchers one.
Checked the label on the ready to eat pots of Hartleys - they ar vegie yayyyyy!!!
Tesco had them on offer so fridge is nicely stocked :joyful:
I gave up looking for the Hartleys ones eventually. I now get SF veggie jelly from Amazon. Great flavours and a good wobble. They are not ready made so you can fashion them into any shape you like, pour into trifles, make cheesecakes......one sachet makes 4-5 portions of straight jelly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...=n:340834031,k:Simply+delish+sugar+free+jelly

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find mashing it means that more of it can be covered in cream ... :)

Great idea to mash, adding in even more surfaces for cream. Trouble is, I then add so much cream that, sadly, I can't taste the jelly anymore.

I don't like sweeteners but they don't bother me in jelly for some reason.

I usually make it with water and divide it into 5 pots per pint, leaving 1.5 cm height space for cream. Sometimes I make it with Alpro almond milk.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but.... but..... there is air in your fridge? i mean.... space where air can be? how do you do that? our fridge is precision stuffed at all times, you have to be ready to catch things when you open the door and if you want to get something out you have to remove 12 items first then carefully put them back in the same order to get them back in, we haven't seen the back of our fridge in years, humpf! i want a fridge with air :( <jealous>

I missed the middle of this thread, and was so intrigued by mention of Andy's airless fridge that I went back searching for his post as our fridge/freezer is very similar: it;s so full that things are always leaping out at me and spilling all over the floor, much to the delight of my two little dogs. In addition my husband has piles of stuff on the top of it, and quite often when I open the door, I get clonked on the head with the odd packet of sponge fingers or even worse, meringue nests falling on top of me...

And regarding not seeing the back of fridges, my husband took early retirement while I was still working, and took over shopping and cooking. After I retired I was having a bit of a fridge clear out and found a packet of margarine which had expired ten years previously and was no longer recognisable as such, having metamorphed into an alien white waxy looking substance... If I'd ever favoured marge over butter it would have been enough to put me off eating it for life.:eek::eek:

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol! And I thought my stock rotation was bad! When diagnosed I cleared out my cupboards and found things three years out of date....

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a wonderful gelatinously sticky mental image!
Can we have a pic of that?!?:snaphappy:

Actually, I have a rather sorry, sadly personal jelly tale to tell.

I've been putting off telling you all, because of its depressingly tragic nature...

Remember how, at the beginning of this thread, I said how I've been slurping jelly in regular, larger amounts than ever before?

Well, for the same period, I've been having a spot of insomnia. Actually, more like an acne breakout of insomnia. Every night, trouble going to sleep, eyelids like spring-loaded roller blinds, lying beside the lovely Mr B as he lies there like a starfish-shaped log, snoring like a wharthog (he knows this, we have discussed it, so I'm not talking behind his back).

Anyway, we ran out of jelly.
And that night, I slept like a baby.
With dawning horror, I have tested the hypothesis, and...
(cue violins)
...jelly stops me sleeping.

Ridiculously horrific, isn't it?

It must be the artificial colours, or sweeteners, or just some jolly jape by the heavenly choir, but the evidence is pretty damning.
@zand has one reaction to the additives (addiction), I have developed another (insomnia).

I haven't eaten jelly in a week, and I have slept well, every night.

:bigtears::spitoutdummy::banghead:

Oh no, that's awful Brunneria! You too, huh?

Um.....yes....I've mentioned the addiction, because that was the worst bit for me to deal with, but I also developed insomnia and random aches and pains throughout my body too.:( These all cleared up when I stopped having the additives. However I have recently been thinking of trying sugar free jelly again one day.........maybe we could both find our own tolerance level of say 1 or 2 jellies a day? I seem to be 'just saying "No" ' to so many things at the moment and since beer is off the menu for good now, I was kind of coming round to your way of thinking at the start of this thread!.....and it has to be a better option for me than the half a bottle of diet coke which is sitting in my fridge saying 'drink me', doesn't it? ( I bought the diet coke for visitors at the weekend, and I may need to use it as a loo cleaner if no-one else finishes it soon!)

For the moment I'm sticking with jelly and cream without the jelly, but all that could change! There has to be a way Brunneria.........;) :hungry:

Paul577

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I froze some accidentally by leaving a pot on the top shelf of the fridge. It was only semi frozen but made a nice ice cream taste with a spoonful of cream. I share the concerns about the additives, so this is a treat a couple of times a week for me.

Reactions: 3 people