So, I'm a T1 & haven't done an injection in 14 months...!

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
That reads so bizarre, but I just realised that thanks to my pump, I haven't done a single injection in over a year! This has really tickled me because it just sounds crazy, and is crazy to me that I haven't been near a syringe for so long!

Has anyone else had this epiphany at any point after getting the pump?

I don't even know how I'd react if I had to go back to injecting! :joyful:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it's a weird feeling , isn't it ?
It's a bit like losing your favourite blanket you had as a child in my silly head.
i had done injections for so long ( 43 years) they were completely part of me.

I have been loving the freedom but I am still thinking( 4 1/2 months later ) .........have I done my injection as I am starting to eat ...and then remembering .....oh.yeah ! I just programmed my pump PDM and there was no injection.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
it's a weird feeling , isn't it ?
It's a bit like losing your favourite blanket you had as a child in my silly head.
i had done injections for so long ( 43 years) they were completely part of me.

I have been loving the freedom but I am still thinking( 4 1/2 months later ) .........have I done my injection as I am starting to eat ...and then remembering .....oh.yeah ! I just programmed my pump PDM and there was no injection.:rolleyes:

Haha! It really is! Although, I can't say I had nearly as many endearing feelings toward my injections as my childhood blanket! :joyful:

And I too will sometimes think about half an hour through my meal that I forgot my injection!

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was just thinking that! I've only been on just short of 2 weeks, but it's amazing that I injected for 18 years and now they are a thing of the past! X X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I had pumps for 5 years and back to MDi. Will never go back to a pump...

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'd find that quite strange...must've felt very strange the first time you left the house without your insulin...a bit like leaving the house without your testing kit or jellybabies...almost unthinkable for me :eek:

iHs

As great as insulin pumps are too many people, it's important to not put your eggs all in one basket and have an insulin pen handy just in case something goes wrong with bg control and the problem could be due to a few things but not sure what thing needs sorting. There have been a few times when my bg has gone up to 15 - 20mmol on a pump so I've been grateful to use my pen to get bg down and worry about the pump and what has gone wrong later. As such, my hospital ddoesn't worry about me as they know that I will be ok

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I think I'd find that quite strange...must've felt very strange the first time you left the house without your insulin...a bit like leaving the house without your testing kit or jellybabies...almost unthinkable for me :eek:

Oh I still carry emergency supplies round with me, you never know if your pump is going to fail, or run out of insulin.

But still weird that I've not had to actually use it though *touchwood*.

My pockets are still bursting with glucos tablets though! :joyful:

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
As great as insulin pumps are too many people, it's important to not put your eggs all in one basket and have an insulin pen handy just in case something goes wrong with bg control and the problem could be due to a few things but not sure what thing needs sorting. There have been a few times when my bg has gone up to 15 - 20mmol on a pump so I've been grateful to use my pen to get bg down and worry about the pump and what has gone wrong later. As such, my hospital ddoesn't worry about me as they know that I will be ok

Yes, as I just mentioned above, I always carry my emergency kits of a syringe & a bottle of insulin, just in case! Thankfully, I've never had to use it but you've always got to be prepared for these instances!

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I was just thinking that! I've only been on just short of 2 weeks, but it's amazing that I injected for 18 years and now they are a thing of the past! X X

It takes so much getting used to, doesn't it?! Kinda feels almost lie something is missing, which of course it is! But it's still bizarre adjusting! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It takes so much getting used to, doesn't it?! Kinda feels almost lie something is missing, which of course it is! But it's still bizarre adjusting! :)

A nice bizarre just the same :)

My concern after starting on the pump was accidentally taking my basal insulin one night, so much so that I hid it from sight to avoid it happening.

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Omg @zoze_j I read the topic of your post and went WHAT!?!? it's never actually dawned on me that I don't inject anymore! My mind is reeling now I've read this! Amazing isn't it!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
A nice bizarre just the same :)

My concern after starting on the pump was accidentally taking my basal insulin one night, so much so that I hid it from sight to avoid it happening.

Oh yes, that could have been disastrous! I did the same thing really, I have a designated "diabetic cupboard" in the kitchen which houses all my pump bits & bobs & syringes, then I have my special shelf in the fridge for my insulin :joyful:
I used to leave myself a post it note on the cupboard reading "DO NOT INJECT!" - worked pretty well!

Omg @zoze_j I read the topic of your post and went WHAT!?!? it's never actually dawned on me that I don't object anymore! My mind is reeling now I've read this! Amazing isn't it!! :D

Haha! Yeah, I suppose out of context it looks like I'm on some kind of kamikaze mission!! :joyful::joyful:
It really is crazy when you think just how many times you spent injecting yourself - I wonder if someone sat down & worked it out, just how many days out of the year injecting would take up!? As in the time it takes to draw insulin, then give it. I'd actually be interested to know! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It really is crazy when you think just how many times you spent injecting yourself - I wonder if someone sat down & worked it out, just how many days out of the year injecting would take up!? As in the time it takes to draw insulin, then give it. I'd actually be interested to know! :D

It took up more time before the modern day insulin pens became available, when I was first diagnosed they were still using glass syringes and you had to mix two different types of insulin into the same syringe, it was time consuming and a **** nuisance, but in fairness you only had to inject twice a day.

In the first few days, weeks and months from starting on a insulin pump I would count up in my head how many times I would have injected in that tim.

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
It took up more time before the modern day insulin pens became available, when I was first diagnosed they were still using glass syringes and you had to mix two different types of insulin into the same syringe, it was time consuming and a **** nuisance, but in fairness you only had to inject twice a day.

In the first few days, weeks and months from starting on a insulin pump I would count up in my head how many times I would have injected in that tim.

Really? That's like some alter- ego glucagon action mixing the two!

I always used to insist on syringes - I have hands like a kid :joyful: so I could never get to grips (literally) with a pen.

It's crazy isn't it? How much time you spend doing something that doesn't even register in the brain almost!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
It's crazy isn't it? How much time you spend doing something that doesn't even register in the brain almost!
that is the weirdest part -- how quickly we get used to our new reality but we keep flashing back to
"how it was " as well.

insane !!!!!!!:D

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never ever wanted a pump...but starting to feel quite envious now

Kevlar87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
I'm on novorapid and levemir injections at the moment. Once I return to the UK I really want to try a pump and after reading the messages in here, it sounds like it could be a great choice! :D

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm too scared to get the pump- i had a needle phobia for 7 years and got over it 2 years ago. I can only inject in my legs/ lower back of my butt but only there. I can't see the needle when I inject there. I'd love the pump if I knew more about it- but whenever I asked my doctors they just kinda scared me out of it. I do adventure sports (my main is climbing) so would it even be safe to get a pump?