So upset- Weight

Luvly

Hi all.
I'm SO upset, and that's putting it mildly.
T2 for 3 weeks now. I've completely cut out ALL junk food ( chocolate, crisps, cakes etc) for 3 weeks.
I've been eating loads more healthy than I ever have before.
No potatoes in any form, only wholegrain/mixed grain bread, and that's only about 6 sides in 3 weeks.
Before diagnosis I was eating 500g of strawberry yoghurt. Now I'm only eating 150g of natural yoghurt.
I've even started eating fruit ( which I don't usually eat) Apples, pears,tangerines and bananas.
I don't usually eat vegetables, but again since diagnosis, I've been eating veg almost every day.
I'm usually a big fan of pastas. But since diagnosis, I've had none. I like rice, but only had 2 half packets in 3 weeks.
I don't even eat deserts anymore.

I need to loose about 10 stone, but all that's happened is that I've GAINED weight.
I can't walk about much without pain ( just a few steps and the pain really kicks in). because of being disabled. I can only go to the shops in my mobility scooter, or walk around the supermarket while holding on to the shopping trolley, ( my boyfriend takes me in the car).
I do try and exercise a bit at home, but the pain becomes excruciating after only a few minutes.
Yes my bs is getting better, but I'm still gaining weight.
I make Jubba the Hutt look anorexic.
I'm really, really tempted to just quit. And just eat what I want.
Yep just another thing to add to my depression.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You really do seem to be doing the right things and I'm surprised there has been no weight loss. The only food I would say to avoid in your list would be the bananas but that is not going to make the difference. I suspect with your lack of mobility your metabolic rate may be quite low which won't help the weight loss. I'm afraid I can't really suggest anything but can you let us know what your typical meals are now just in case we can suggest anything. Don't give up - it must work in the end.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.
I'm SO upset, and that's putting it mildly.
T2 for 3 weeks now. I've completely cut out ALL junk food ( chocolate, crisps, cakes etc) for 3 weeks.
I've been eating loads more healthy than I ever have before.
No potatoes in any form, only wholegrain/mixed grain bread, and that's only about 6 sides in 3 weeks.
Before diagnosis I was eating 500g of strawberry yoghurt. Now I'm only eating 150g of natural yoghurt.
I've even started eating fruit ( which I don't usually eat) Apples, pears,tangerines and bananas.
I don't usually eat vegetables, but again since diagnosis, I've been eating veg almost every day.
I'm usually a big fan of pastas. But since diagnosis, I've had none. I like rice, but only had 2 half packets in 3 weeks.
I don't even eat deserts anymore.

I need to loose about 10 stone, but all that's happened is that I've GAINED weight.
I can't walk about much without pain ( just a few steps and the pain really kicks in). because of being disabled. I can only go to the shops in my mobility scooter, or walk around the supermarket while holding on to the shopping trolley, ( my boyfriend takes me in the car).
I do try and exercise a bit at home, but the pain becomes excruciating after only a few minutes.
Yes my bs is getting better, but I'm still gaining weight.
I make Jubba the Hutt look anorexic.
I'm really, really tempted to just quit. And just eat what I want.
Yep just another thing to add to my depression.
How much weight have you gained, and over what period of time? Most fruit affects type 2 the same way sweets do, due to the fructose in them. Some vegetables are higher in carbs than others. Can you tell us what a typical days eating looks like for you please?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Luvly

Strikes me that you might benefit from the low carb program and it’s structured approach to reducing carbs. You can find details here: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

It has a charge, but in some places you can be referred by your GP and get it for free.

There’s also a site with information for medical professionals: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/nhs/

Reactions: Luvly

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Luvly
For the next few weeks ignore the scales. Find a belt, or a piece of string and tie a knot in it where your waist is. Then keep it and next week measure again. Do it weekly. I saw my belt go down a hole a fortnight over 3 months, that s 3 stone..

Your body will be doing its best to hold onto all the bad stuff it is addicted to. Try thinking of taking a favourite or dangerous item away from a toddler. There are screams and tantrums but eventually things will calm down.

scales lie, especially for women and vary enormously depending on hormones, stress etc.

Cut the fruit right down. Your meter should be showing what it is doing to your body. Once I've seen on the meter what a food does to me I find it easier to avoid that food in the future.

Stick it out, it will get better. Eat to your meter rather than weight

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Luvly, may I ask are you following any specific 'diet' or are you just cutting back on certain items? For example, cutting out some carbs no doubt is helping your glucose levels (as you say) but if someone was hoping to lose weight by going LCHF then those carbs would need to be around 50g a day or lower. ANY more than that is not likely to get you into ketosis so a person wouldn't be losing weight from that specific approach. If, on the other hand your approach is to calorie count (not thought to be a great way to lose weight) then again your approach would be different. I think if the strategy is to sort of do 'a little bit of both' or sit somewhere in the middle then that could be why it's not working as quickly as you might hope, 3 weeks is NOT very long anyway in my opinion. If you can explain what your daily meals are it might help people to make suggestions, is your ultimate aim to lower glucose or to lose weight or hopefully both...if it's both you will get a LOT of advice on a low carb/very low carb approach. x

Luvly

Hi. You really do seem to be doing the right things and I'm surprised there has been no weight loss. The only food I would say to avoid in your list would be the bananas but that is not going to make the difference. I suspect with your lack of mobility your metabolic rate may be quite low which won't help the weight loss. I'm afraid I can't really suggest anything but can you let us know what your typical meals are now just in case we can suggest anything. Don't give up - it must work in the end.
I'm on Levothyroxine for my underactive thyroid. I am just having small meals fish with frozen vegetables mostly.
I've only had 2 bananas since I started. Mostly apples.
Feeling really depressed and down beat at the moment.

Luvly

How much weight have you gained, and over what period of time? Most fruit affects type 2 the same way sweets do, due to the fructose in them. Some vegetables are higher in carbs than others. Can you tell us what a typical days eating looks like for you please?
I've gained 2lb in 3 weeks. My weight should not be going up.

Luvly

Hi @Luvly

Strikes me that you might benefit from the low carb program and it’s structured approach to reducing carbs. You can find details here: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

It has a charge, but in some places you can be referred by your GP and get it for free.

There’s also a site with information for medical professionals: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/nhs/
I'll speak with my doctor. Other times when I've tried to lose weight (before diabetes)I lost quite a bit in 3 weeks).
And even then I wasn't as strict with food as I am now. I feel like my efforts are wasted. Kinda like fighting a losing battle

Luvly

Hi @Luvly, may I ask are you following any specific 'diet' or are you just cutting back on certain items? For example, cutting out some carbs no doubt is helping your glucose levels (as you say) but if someone was hoping to lose weight by going LCHF then those carbs would need to be around 50g a day or lower. ANY more than that is not likely to get you into ketosis so a person wouldn't be losing weight from that specific approach. If, on the other hand your approach is to calorie count (not thought to be a great way to lose weight) then again your approach would be different. I think if the strategy is to sort of do 'a little bit of both' or sit somewhere in the middle then that could be why it's not working as quickly as you might hope, 3 weeks is NOT very long anyway in my opinion. If you can explain what your daily meals are it might help people to make suggestions, is your ultimate aim to lower glucose or to lose weight or hopefully both...if it's both you will get a LOT of advice on a low carb/very low carb approach. x
I'm just drastically cutting back. My ultimate goal is both glucose and weight loss.
I know 3 weeks isn't very long, but other times I've lost just over 1/2 stone in 3weeks.
I'll read up on low carbs.

Luvly

Sorry everyone for being negative. I suffer with anxiety, stress and depression.
I think I'm heading for a depression phase.. Again. Sorry

Luvly

Hi @Luvly
For the next few weeks ignore the scales. Find a belt, or a piece of string and tie a knot in it where your waist is. Then keep it and next week measure again. Do it weekly. I saw my belt go down a hole a fortnight over 3 months, that s 3 stone..

Your body will be doing its best to hold onto all the bad stuff it is addicted to. Try thinking of taking a favourite or dangerous item away from a toddler. There are screams and tantrums but eventually things will calm down.

scales lie, especially for women and vary enormously depending on hormones, stress etc.

Cut the fruit right down. Your meter should be showing what it is doing to your body. Once I've seen on the meter what a food does to me I find it easier to avoid that food in the future.

Stick it out, it will get better. Eat to your meter rather than weight
Thank you, I'll belt/string/tape measure approach.
I'll try x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry everyone for being negative. I suffer with anxiety, stress and depression.
I think I'm heading for a depression phase.. Again. Sorry
Perhaps not think of it in terms of weight loss yet? Focus on your blood sugar levels first, do you have a meter? If you can get your blood sugar levels down, the weight will follow. Its not like traditional dieting where you starve some off in a rush and then it goes back on again, often with more added.

Depression is difficult, the negative intrusive thoughts are hard. This is not a race or a character test. Its a marathon and we take it day by day, sometimes hour by hour.

You tackling this at all is a victory won!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on Levothyroxine for my underactive thyroid. I am just having small meals fish with frozen vegetables mostly.
I've only had 2 bananas since I started. Mostly apples.
Feeling really depressed and down beat at the moment.
Are you eating enough calories? When I tried a vlc diet of 900 calls per day I only lost 7lb in about 3 months but made myself ill because my metabolism went into starvation mode and started shutting my body down.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Luvly , Hello. I’m sorry you are becoming despondent but please don’t give up. Can I ask when you first joined this site were you given a link to information for new people? I’ve looked around the site but can’t find it at the moment. This information is excellent for providing information which I think may help you. Do you find that you are often hungry since adapting your diet.? I really hope you don’t give up because you will get there.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Luvly have you had a look at the diet doctor website. You can access visual guides of low carb foods and a range of recipes free.

Luvly

Perhaps not think of it in terms of weight loss yet? Focus on your blood sugar levels first, do you have a meter? If you can get your blood sugar levels down, the weight will follow. Its not like traditional dieting where you starve some off in a rush and then it goes back on again, often with more added.

Depression is difficult, the negative intrusive thoughts are hard. This is not a race or a character test. Its a marathon and we take it day by day, sometimes hour by hour.

You tackling this at all is a victory won!!
Hi. Yes I do have a meter. This depression will pass. Just feeling quite low after weighing myself.

Hotpepper20000

Hi. Yes I do have a meter. This depression will pass. Just feeling quite low after weighing myself.
Of course you’re feeling low you must have been hungry all this time with no results.
The great thing about low carb is there is no need to be hungry. Cut out the fruit (except berries), pasta, rice, bread and potatoes.
Full up with full fat dairy, meat and above ground vegetables.
I lost 60 pounds in 18 months without being hungry. And have kept it off for three years. Give or take 8-10 pounds.
I also have kept my A1C below diabetic range for 3 years.

Luvly

@Luvly have you had a look at the diet doctor website. You can access visual guides of low carb foods and a range of recipes free.
Hi. I don't really feel very hungry, it's more of me missing comfort eating. I quit smoking over 7 years ago, then went onto vaping. I quit vaping about a year ago. In 8 years I've gained 7 stone. I am missing eating junk food, but I think that's probably normal.

No I've not looked at the diet doctor website yet. I'll do so. Thank you x

Hotpepper20000

Hi. I don't really feel very hungry, it's more of me missing comfort eating. I quit smoking over 7 years ago, then went onto vaping. I quit vaping about a year ago. In 8 years I've gained 7 stone. I am missing eating junk food, but I think that's probably normal.

No I've not looked at the diet doctor website yet. I'll do so. Thank you x
Wow that would not have been easy.
You should be very proud of that.