soft drinks

mickrio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just wondered if it was safe to drink 4 or 5 fizzy cans a day I always drink diet pepsi or suger free Idont like water and get fed up with tea and coffee

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just wondered if it was safe to drink 4 or 5 fizzy cans a day I always drink diet pepsi or suger free Idont like water and get fed up with tea and coffee

I was advised before diagnosis to stop drinking any fizzy can drinks. Told to stick to water and the odd tea or coffee.
My usually drink of the morning and afternoon is tea, no milk, no sugar, water as an alternative, then one can of diet coke with my evening meal, then water before bed.

Too much is not recommended.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
When I get fed up of tea and coffee I sip hot water,
Can't stand cold water.
Hot water seems to have a sweetness.

JMHAY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have one coffee per day and if given tea I puke! I drink water but only with cordial in it. The rest of the day I get through probably 2l of fizzy diet pop. I can’t get a straightforward answer from the diabetic nurse as to why I shouldn’t drink fizzy pop and on the advice from my urologist - if you’re thirsty, drink it! Otherwise, I don’t drink enough which can lead to urinary problems.

So if anyone can give a definitive answer, why are diet fizzy drinks bad for diabetics

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I drink a good couple of litres of diet fizzy too along with squash, water and 2 cups of tea.

I have to drink a lot due to a medication I take not related to diabetes. I've never been told not to drink fizzy pop, just not the sugar laden one.

Also curious