Soft Proteins for Dental Issues

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I am having a very painful tooth problem in one of my molars-it is infected again for the second time. I will be starting antibiotics for it today and am scheduled to have a root canal and crown after the course of antibiotics is finished. Getting through these few weeks with controlled blood glucose is the goal of this thread. I am having problems with extreme pain when I chew most of my usual foods. I am allergic to most pain killers and am also a caregiver so I do not want to medicate myself into oblivion. I am taking ibuprofen for the pain and it is controlled except when I chew hard foods.

Here is a list of soft protein foods that I can think of-can you add any?

Scrambled eggs
Cottage cheese
Tuna salad
Egg salad
Fish cakes
Stewed beef
Oatmeal
Yogurt-full fat and no added fruit
Chili
Most Lean Cuisine meals have soft meats

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I need to think of something to do with chicken thighs that is soft-I have a package of them in the refrigerator. Do you have any suggestions?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
shakes with protein powder (and almond milk ) maybe ... maybe mixed with berries... and for your infection also vitamin C if you have that at home

Reactions: KezG

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You could make a batch of chicken and veg soup. The chicken goes soft and stringy so hardly any chewing involved.

Thank you-really good idea.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
shakes with protein powder (and almond milk ) maybe ... maybe mixed with berries... and for your infection also vitamin C if you have that at home

:)I used to take a high dose vitamin C in my 20's to help battle UTI's but now with the hemochromatosis diagnosis I do not because it is contradicted. Vitamin C causes higher absorption of iron. Hemochromatosis is genetic iron overload disease-I already store too much iron and absorb too much iron from foods.
I used to drink Carnation instant breakfast drinks but stopped because they have too much sugar in them. Almond milk also spikes my blood sugar higher and faster than milk, even the unsweetened kind.
Remember I am limited to 45 grams of protein per day due to kidney issues. I would rather eat a small amount of protein rich soft food or a soft carbohydrate and protein containing food than a powdered supplement. That may be a good idea to get more protein into mom's diet though.
I love that you took time to help me though. What do you do with chicken?

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ideas from the grocery store:
Precooked canned pinto beans (and cornbread for mom) with steamed cabbage and chopped fresh tomatoes on the side.
Curried chicken, I can use up some fresh veggies and canned peas.
McDonald's dollar cheeseburgers-we usually have one for lunch on grocery shopping days.
KFC-everything is soft there but calorie rich, so only on days when I need more calories.
Lentil Soup
Pea Soup with Ham
Chicken and Dumplings-I will only eat one dumpling but mom loves this dish.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)I used to take a high dose vitamin C in my 20's to help battle UTI's but now with the hemochromatosis diagnosis I do not because it is contradicted. Vitamin C causes higher absorption of iron. Hemochromatosis is genetic iron overload disease-I already store too much iron and absorb too much iron from foods.
I used to drink Carnation instant breakfast drinks but stopped because they have too much sugar in them. Almond milk also spikes my blood sugar higher and faster than milk, even the unsweetened kind.
Remember I am limited to 45 grams of protein per day due to kidney issues. I would rather eat a small amount of protein rich soft food or a soft carbohydrate and protein containing food than a powdered supplement. That may be a good idea to get more protein into mom's diet though.
I love that you took time to help me though. What do you do with chicken?
oh i forgot you have this iron problem, you are totally right not to take vitamn C then

my favorite dish with chicken is to take a very big pot and put a whole chicken (cleaned without fethers ;)) in it ( but one can use chicken legs as well ) and then 1-1.5 liter of water, 2-3 tins of smashed tomatoes or a lot of fresh tomatoes, 2oo grams of olives, 100 grams of parsley, 300 grams of spinach (but only late in the cooking process, 3-5 chopped onions, a whole garlic, some soup-herbs favorite kinds,maybe root-cellery and some good quallity boullion, the chicken has to be covered with the liquid, and then boil it all in 1-1.5 hours, add salt and pepper late
this is an italian dish I have almost stolen, but the olive-parsley chicken soup like dish tastes wonderful, with less water it is a kind of stew, can be served with chips of eggsplants with some parmesan/melted cheese,
serve with in this case like protein rolls from Lidl or selfmade if no LIDL available :p

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
oh i forgot you have this iron problem, you are totally right not to take vitamn C then

my favorite dish with chicken is to take a very big pot and put a whole chicken (cleaned without fethers ;)) in it ( but one can use chicken legs as well ) and then 1-1.5 liter of water, 2-3 tins of smashed tomatoes or a lot of fresh tomatoes, 2oo grams of olives, 100 grams of parsley, 300 grams of spinach (but only late in the cooking process, 3-5 chupped onions, a whole garlic, some sup-Herbs favorite kinds,maybe root-cellery and some good quallity boullion, the chicken has to be covered with the liquid, and then boil it all in 1-1.5 hours, add salt and pepper late
this is an italian dish I have almost stolen, but the olive-parsley chicken soup like dish tastes wonderful, with less water it is a kind of stew, can be served with chips of eggsplants with some parmesan/melted cheese,
serve with in this case like protein rolls from Lidl or selfmade if no LIDL available :p
Yum, I will try this for sure-do you use black olives or green olives?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum, I will try this for sure-do you use black olives or green olives?

both are okay, but not the cheap black kind that are colered with some kind of iron, those that hardly taste like anything, they are not tasty enough for the dish and they are baaaaaaaaaaaaad for you

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
both is okay but not the cheap black kind that is colered with some kind of iron, those that hardly taste like anything, they are not tasty enough for the dish and they are baaaaaaaaaaaaad for you
Thanks Freema.:)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the meat is minced, it's usually small enough to eat without much chewing.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If the meat is minced, it's usually small enough to eat without much chewing.
Good idea, I will buy hamburger meat next week. We had a small hamburger after shopping today and I did okay with it.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Also, peanut butter
soft cheeses.
tofu,
eggplant Parmesan,
Cooked broccoli and cauliflower
and
Milk,
are also all soft and protein rich.
I made sauteed chicken thighs with curry seasoning and diced tomatoes on the side for dinner because they cooked quickly and mom was hungry even after we stopped for a small hamburger. I was going to make a yogurt sauce but we ate them before that happened. I will make the leftover two chicken thighs into soup tomorrow with some leftover roast vegetables from yesterday.

I only had the cheap olives in my cupboard and they were colored with ferrous sucinate,which is iron and I'm not sure what else. I will take mom to the Italian market this weekend to buy some good olives and then try Freema's chicken. The only dental pain I had was with hot coffee-the first sip started the radiating pain again-that was after I ate the chicken without pain-but I did let it cool first.

Thanks t0 everyone for the great suggestions. My go to food for dental issues used to be milk shakes but now they have too much sugar for me and the cold temperature really hurts my tooth.

Fish-I totally forgot about fish-soft and protein rich.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

my favorite dish with chicken is to take a very big pot and put a whole chicken (cleaned without fethers ;)) in it ( but one can use chicken legs as well ) and then 1-1.5 liter of water, 2-3 tins of smashed tomatoes or a lot of fresh tomatoes, 2oo grams of olives, 100 grams of parsley, 300 grams of spinach (but only late in the cooking process, 3-5 chupped onions, a whole garlic, some sup-Herbs favorite kinds,maybe root-cellery and some good quallity boullion, the chicken has to be covered with the liquid, and then boil it all in 1-1.5 hours, add salt and pepper late
I made this and it was wonderful-Thank you, Freema!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made this and it was wonderful-Thank you, Freema!

:):):):):)
that sounds wonderfull, it is one of my own favorites and tastes yummie, the only bad thing is the bones from the Whole chicken and the stones from the olives, by I myself don´t care about that..

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
:):):):):)
that sounds wonderfull, it is one of my own favorites and tastes yummie, the only bad thing is the bones from the Whole chicken and the stones from the olives, by I myself don´t care about that..
I took the meat off the bones of chicken thighs before serving and I cut the olives off the pit when adding to the stew-for mom-they would be choking hazards for her. I was about to just throw everything in whole until I thought about her-we once had an ambulance call after she choked on a KFC bone at the house. I cut all chicken up for her now.

Reactions: Freema