Some advice please

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You must make sure you always see this GP for your diabetes related appointments. He sounds a good'un.

Good luck, and take care. Let us know how you go on.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Hope things get sorted for you , makes you think this post , just how hard it can be to get things going in the right direction for our health ....

Reactions: 4 people

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally, after only 1 day on the new meds, im down to 12.8 :) a massive difference.

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im fairly good on both of those. Yes i could give up bread altogether, or forgo the odd roast potato, but I made the decision 3 years ago that i had to have a diet that was achievable, and something i could stick to. Ive tried too many diets where things were cut out completely and they are unsustainable for me. So although i understand and in general practice a good low carb, low sugar diet, ive only managed to do so by going for better options, so wholemeal bread instead of white, brown rice instead of white. i dont have a sweet tooth so its not difficult to stay clear of sugary foods.

I also have a dog that requires lots of exercise, so i have a minimum of 2 brisk one hour walks a day, which is 14 hours a week. Way more than the recommended for healthy living.

I believe i have the balance of diet, exercise and quality of life right tbh.

Reactions: 6 people

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:-( 26 last night and 17 this morning (only thing i had was skinless roast chicken)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bummer, I'm not up enough on the drugs to tell you whether it's suppose to be a rollercoaster at the start of the new med, one more sleep and you see the Dr and get some decent tests and advice, how are your ketones?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:-( 26 last night and 17 this morning (only thing i had was skinless roast chicken)
You might want to go higher on fat. Skinless chicken is pure protein and protein can raise bg too, while fat doesn't or at least only very marginally. In other word, feel free to have as much butter, olive oil, lard, coconut oil, goose fat etc as you wish, with some cheese thrown in. Fat is nice and fills you up.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and I´m glad you´ll see a sensible GP tomorrow as your current meds may not be enough, you may need insulin. But low carbing with normal protein and higher fat might help anyway,

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Presume no results back yet on the C Peptide and GADA tests?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
seems crazy to me those numbers on what you are eating, i had high numbers but i wasnt on your diet

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I think if any of us turned up with numbers like that we would be getting a stern talking 2 and a discussion about what's going wrong

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might want to go higher on fat. Skinless chicken is pure protein and protein can raise bg too, while fat doesn't or at least only very marginally. In other word, feel free to have as much butter, olive oil, lard, coconut oil, goose fat etc as you wish, with some cheese thrown in. Fat is nice and fills you up.
I think he might want to wait for the results of his T1 tests first, and take it from there...

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@daneamac Would welcome a stern talking to if they could tell me whats going wrong but they cant. On paper im doing everything right (for a T2 at least). They only took the bloods on Friday, 7-10 days before results normally.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
That's what doesn't make sense if diagnosed they would be crawling all over us but as you are not diagnosed with anything they are not doing anything how are you today ?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Jeez @nivenj ,

I had your symptoms when I was diagnosed T1 way back in the dark ages! I'd drink two pints of water and then pee it out within minutes.

I wholly agree with @Spiker 's comment about the diet comments: you need the c-pep and GAD results ASAP as your sugars have been at DKA levels.

If your results are not lowering sufficiently with the new meds, then you need to cut the carbs and proteins and keep yourself hydrated (and fed with salads, etc.) until you can see that GP again.

You could be LADA or MODY or a T2 who's just pushed their body over the edge, either way, it sounds like your body is producing next to no insulin to make the majority of the T2 meds any use.

The GP surgery can push for your blood test results to be returned more promptly: 7-10 days is far too long to wait when your levels are that high.

Good luck,
Conrad

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@daneamac Would welcome a stern talking to if they could tell me whats going wrong but they cant. On paper im doing everything right (for a T2 at least). They only took the bloods on Friday, 7-10 days before results normally.

Be proactive here. The 7 to 10 days will include a few days waiting around for the GP to look at them, meanwhile they are sitting in your computer records. Ring up and ask for them tomorrow, then keep ringing until you get them.

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i live in kent, there are only 2 hospitals covering the entire region. Its the hospitals current turn around time due to workload. When i was admitted Last monday, my initial consultation and canula insertion, blood taking was done in the "day room" as they waited for a bed to become available. I was discharged the following morning and asked to wait in the discharge lounge whilst the pharmacy dispensed my meds. It was just a dumping ground so they could free up beds and was filled with people. 5 hours later i got my discharge letter and meds. They just dont have the resources to do things quicker/more efficient. I felt really sorry for the nurses and doctors, you could tell they were as frustrated as we were.

Had my checkup this morning, BG was 27 :-(. He said to give it to the end of the week and see if the Glyclizide kicks in. He talked about the possibility of it being LADA (late onset type 1?) and possible insulin injections.

I didnt think of this until i left, but if I was/am insulin resistant, how does injecting with Insulin actually help?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear . the hospital experience sounds awful. I hope you start to feel better soon :)