Some advice please

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
possibility of it being LADA (late onset type 1?) and possible insulin injections.

I didnt think of this until i left, but if I was/am insulin resistant, how does injecting with Insulin actually help?

Good that he is mentioning T1 LADA now. He is starting to think outside the T2 box.

T2s have insulin resistance and make insulin, T1s don't make insulin any more but generally are not resistant to it. (Except perhaps before they start on insulin treatment?)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good that he is mentioning T1 LADA now. He is starting to think outside the T2 box.

T2s have insulin resistance and make insulin, T1s don't make insulin any more but generally are not resistant to it. (Except perhaps before they start on insulin treatment?)

And there are type 1's that are also type 2's. There was something about that on this forum a week or so ago. A member diagnosed as type 1 with mild insulin resistance who was given Metformin. Or maybe I was dreaming.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-1-diabetes/double-diabetes.aspx

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@nivenj did you get a pot of ketostix from your GP? Over the counter from any chemist for a few quid. I would really strongly advise checking ketones daily while you are running this high BG constantly. Also I thought you had a blood glucose meter of your own but if not, buy one if you can afford it. Go to Boots.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And there are type 1's that are also type 2's. There was something about that on this forum a week or so ago. A member diagnosed as type 1 with mild insulin resistance who was given Metformin. Or maybe I was dreaming.
Yes I believe that's true but the key thing with the OP is to get his constant high BG stabilised asap and determine if he needs insulin. Determining his sub-type of diabetes can probably wait...

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did get ketostix, and i check everyday. Trace is anything at all. He did say he cant believe im not showing ketones considering the high levels.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did get ketostix, and i check everyday. Trace is anything at all. He did say he cant believe im not showing ketones considering the high levels.
Me either. But it proves you still have insulin function that is clearing the ketones but has lost the battle, the war in fact, against BG. :-(

Get yourself on insulin asap - even if it's just for a temporary respite - and save what's left of those beta cells.

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting Bored with this now :-(
10660333_10204846061220791_860914488854831102_n.jpg

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ring the dr,A&E? you have given the new meds a shot, they didn't work to keep your BG in control
your best long term outcome is with controlled BG

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did, answer message "Were sorry the surgery is now closed due to staff training, please call again tomorrow morning"

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you rung a&e or are you going? Let us know how you get on.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I agree with @jack 12 get to a Dr that can't continue I was at 31.9 with an infection on monday night and was given a rather stern talking to when I saw the GP as an emergency the next day advised I should have gone to a & e although I had it down b4 I saw him I was not being admitted so phone them for an appt or go and sit until u r seen don't take no for an answer any news on the test results yet ?

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, got admiitted again on Thursday. Blood pressure had dropped through the floor. Was treated for HHS and been on insulin infusion. Late onset Type 1 confirmed. They are putting me on 3 lots of novorapid and 1 of latnus. Hopefully be out by Monday.

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, got admiitted again on Thursday. Blood pressure had dropped through the floor. Was treated for HHS and been on insulin infusion. Late onset Type 1 confirmed. They are putting me on 3 lots of novorapid and 1 of latnus. Hopefully be out by Monday.
about friggin time, they have messed around for a fortnight on this. you will feel like a new man in a week

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im so glad you went to hospital. You are finally being treated properly. Take care and keep posting. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At last, they are listening, even if it did take a hospital stay. Take care and good luck, keep us informed.

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any advice on adjusting my dosage to get into my target? Was fed up yesterday morning when i woke to 27.1
Decided to have little to eat to try and bring it down, skipped bfast, had small swich for lunch (40 carbs) and same for dinner with a yoghurt (60 carb total). highest peak of the day was 16.7 around 9pm, with the lowest around 8 at 4am, but woke this morning to 12. 12 is better than 27.1, still too high, but realistically, i ate hardly anything to get to that level.