Some advice please

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I thought I was high at 40u of lantus and a 1:3. 1:6 and 1:8 when on MDI with 1.5 isf I'm now on a pump but that could be the fight for another day

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chart.png

Got it between 7 and 15, the lower figures are pretty much if I don't eat anything, so have upped my basal rather than bolus as the basal is only about 1/3 of my total daily atm. Does this sound about right. Am checking frequently to make sure it doesn't go too low with some Dextrose tablets at the ready in case ive messed up ;-)

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
That's certainly better than you have been I personally would say if you are reading higher after food it's you insulin : carb ratio that needs increased rather than basal eg if you are taking 1u insulin for 10g carbs move that to 1u insulin for 9g carbs this should be done until you are not getting the spikes after meals someone else may say differently though

Hang in there

Danae

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Basic rule of thumb: if high 2-3 hours after eating then its your bolus.
Other times its your basal....
1/3rd is a bit uneven.. You may find that you will be rest running ling term 40/60 or 50/50.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Onviously if basal testing, then its your basal!!:))

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Guys, I just thought, as the mean is still high, upping my basal will help bring the mean down, especially as my fasting numbers are still up in the teens (although I'm convinced this is Dawn Phenomenon, as my waking numbers are larger than my going to sleep ones and unless I'm raiding the fridge in my sleep, its not food induced ;-) ).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If basal is 33% then you still have room to play with it based upon average advice from consultants to me.. Not based on any fact!!
I would agree with basal increase..

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry about basal % of total as you are newly diagnosed and it's a very dynamic situation. You are obviously a good charter. I think the trend line is heading down? No need to bring it down TOO fast. I would focus on tweaking up the carb ratio rather than basal. Increase basal when you have a more or less flat line that is too high. As long as the bumps are higher on the right than they are on the left, increase carb ratio (slowly).