Some more good news...

giddyupgo1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So diagnosed with HbA1c of 58 in November 2023, 3 months later and 14 kg's lighter and had my first checkup with a HbA1c of 41.

Feeling like the last three months of hard work has paid off, and tbh i dont miss, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar - oh yeah and as my wife says fun foods.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well, done. Perhaps you could say what you typically eat to inspire and inform others.

Reactions: giddyupgo1973

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent reductions in HbA1c and weight! Keep up the good work!

giddyupgo1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, done. Perhaps you could say what you typically eat to inspire and inform others.

This has mainly been about diet change, lots of tracking of macro's using an app / website called loseit, mainly american foodstuffs but you can add your own foods to it, shopping online at tesco's has made things a lot easier as they have all the nutrients for foods listed so basically a copy and paste exercise for logging.

My daily go to for breakfast in the mornings is a Huel black shake which has 400kcal, 13g fat, 16g carbs (4.4g sugar) and 40g of protein, there are some really nice flavours which tick the sweet box!

Lunch if at home (most days) is either tesco beetroot salad or loose leaf with some form of meat, 25g of cheddar, a couple of cherry tomatoes and a hard boiled egg, or some form of omellette with either ham and mushroom or tuna with cheddar if out and about one of the huel hot and savoury meals which are a little carb heavy at 40g per meal.

Dinner consists of pretty much normal foods, such as shepherds pie with cauliflower and cheddar mash, or a curry on a bed of spinach, once a week i treat myself to 50 grams of tesco french fries, which is about 12 fries, to have with either some sort of chicken, steak or burgers in chaffles. (chaffles are the greatest invention ever)

Snacks consist of either a mini-cheese (marmite cheddar) or a couple of Jacobs cheddars.

As for puddings my go to is ether 150g of greek yoghurt with a spoonful of peanut butter or 10-12 raspberries.

I normally average about 120g fat, 80-120g carbs and 130+ grams of protein and no more than 30g of sugar a day (which terrifies me when i think of how many grams i must have been eating before).

I also do a 30-45 minute ride or walk on Peloton every second day and 10-20 minutes of yoga / weights every alternate day.

I’ve been riding for 4 years 5 days a week but didn’t lose a great deal of weight - maybe 1/2 kg’s over the period making me question why I didn’t give up bread, pasta, rice etc before.

My last recommendation would be to take a look at the low carb program (which was recommended to me by the diabetic nurse at my first appointment where i was adamant that i wouldnt be taking tablets!)

Last edited: