some things I need to get out and slight rant (type 2)

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Sincet being diagnosed 3 weeks ago I have brought my bgs down massivly and am betwwen 6 and 9ish (from 14.5 ish to 24.9+ 24.9 being only my second ever reading with a bg mechine and cut everything out after that ) dureing the day but usually under 10grams carbs & 1out of 3days maybe 15 grams. This is only for the moment as I wanted to realy bring my bgs Down quickly will want to go up to 30 ish. Everyone seems to think going so low instantly should have made me ill but it didnt perhaps because I felt so ill before diagnosis I just realy didnt feel the negative effects infact they possibly seemed an inproovement over the effects of diabetes I am positive I was killing myself. I am also back swimming wich helps aswell. But as my knowledge expands the more I'm convinced that I have been diabetic for 12 to 18 month or even 2 years but not understood the subtle signs and it had to bring out the big guns to get me to take notice. I beleive that when I first started with it I was arround or just under 14.1/2st maybe 14st 3 lb and eating fairly healthy (atleast with in reason) never realy had a massivly sweet tooth (frozen jelly sweets being the exception) and always preferred sugarfree pop to leaded. Although I did always have a spoon of hunny in my te but didnt like sugar on cereal infact I didnt even have sugar in the house only tome I ever bought it wsd if I was baking . I swam 2/3rds to a mile 3 to 5 times a week and was even bradycardic (resting hart rate of 54 to 56) when I asked my dr he said it was because I had an athletes hart rate due to fitness from swimming rather than a medical problem and was somthing to be happy about. But I then started loosing energy I'd fall asleep dureing the day at work ( wake my self up with a snore) I was going to bed at 7 to eight at nigh when on days and straight away when home after night shift but not gettin up till 1 hour before leaving for work. I even noticed my resting rate was slightly higher but put it down to not pushing myself as hard at swimming. It got to the point last year that I stopped swimming and just couldnt motivate myself to get back to it even though I wanted to for the sake of my health (swimming only exercise I can properly manage due to acciden several years ago) i even stopped going to my garage and working on my bikes i used to be there every spair moment even if it was just to make somthing clean cleaner ,I also became ravonously hungry and for the food I had mainly been staying away from and started eating. I reacon (gave up weighing myself too depressing) that I put 6 st on in 5/6 months. I mainly figured it was down to depressin as I have suffered of it before. Things got worse at a pace and time that they where disguised of not noticed due to other illnesses . I had tonsillitis for 3 months and 2 of them they where septic and the antibiotics struggled to shift it I had also lost my licence for 28 day while this was happening and still working 60 hours a week while walkin 2 miles to bus stop getting a bus 12 mile buss journey and then another 2 miles at the other end and same back again it took 2 hours each waypluss this is in the peak district so everything is up or down hill. With all that has been going on I just thought it was me . I dont properly know how to explain it but those of you who may have suffered clinical depression will probably understand who easy it is for things to get away from you without you realising the true reason or even the extent of how ill you have become you just figuer its down to your own uselessness. Then of course it started beating me up and I had no choice to go to the Dr's and found out it wasnt just ME! it was the diabetes there was a reason for it and I could do somthing about it I really was thinking that this was it for me I was going to be like this or feel like this for the rest of my life and had pretty much accepted it. But now things heve turned arround so much I feel the best I have in a verry long time It was even noticed at work how much more alert I was throughout the whole day ( no snoring not even once). I obviously still have long a way to go and am sure I will have wobbles (no not the jelly type andy) and blips but am prety much certain I never want to feel the way i have over the last 18 month's ever again. I still have a lot of learning and a lot of figuring out. And I sertainly have questions and concerns . And am also so xxxxxx off that my Dr looks at me and sees my weight ( doesnt take into account how i was only last year and decides its all my fault and indeed it can only be type 2 he wont say this but you can see it in his eyes ( I am not saying it isnt infact it almost certainly is) my mother has also thrown into the mix " i have alwas wondered as you where always thirsty as a child andalways drinking water at home and mithering for drinks if we went out" ( she never had me tested though) ( is it possable to have bouts of diabetes throughout your life but run normal at others? As i have had symptoms before but didnt last long and when bg eventually taken nothing realy showing )yet I have not been tested to make sure there is nothing else going on . Sorry about the slight rant but gettin anoyed at the presumption of my diabetic diagnosis (given after only one blood test which I presume was only a bg test) rather than looking at me as a patient. My Dr's have been truly horendus I was 24.9 and rang surgery to get help/advice as to speak to dn and told not in today ring tomorow at 08.50 I said can I talk to a dr my blood sugars are very high and was told by receptionists dr dosnt realy know a lot about diabetes ring back tomorow so I daid my blood sugars are 24. And didnt get any further as she said numbers don't mean anything to me ring tomorow and put fone down . I rang the next day and told would not available would get call later . After 3 hours and further high bgs I rang back to be told I would not be getting a call I could however have an appointment in a month ( I already had appointment for the next week. Cut a long storh short (bit late for that I hear you saying) I enden up getting a local hospital and 111 nurse involved and making phone calls and go a 30 min over the phone consultation with dn and precription sent to chemist for me to pick up since then tney have messed up 3 prescriptions. To say I am not vey confident in them is an understatement to the point I think especiall the management and receptionist are incompetent.
And breath rant over well fore the moment any way
Cheers a congratulations if you managed to get throuh my ramberlings and still have the will to live . I said it would be a rant. I said nothing about it being intresting

Netty70

whompa73 said:
Sincet being diagnosed 3 weeks ago I have brought my bgs down massivly and am betwwen 6 and 9ish (from 14.5 ish to 24.9+ 24.9 being only my second ever reading with a bg mechine and cut everything out after that ) dureing the day but usually under 10grams carbs & 1out of 3days maybe 15 grams. This is only for the moment as I wanted to realy bring my bgs Down quickly will want to go up to 30 ish. Everyone seems to think going so low instantly should have made me ill but it didnt perhaps because I felt so ill before diagnosis I just realy didnt feel the negative effects infact they possibly seemed an inproovement over the effects of diabetes I am positive I was killing myself. I am also back swimming wich helps aswell. But as my knowledge expands the more I'm convinced that I have been diabetic for 12 to 18 month or even 2 years but not understood the subtle signs and it had to bring out the big guns to get me to take notice. I beleive that when I first started with it I was arround or just under 14.1/2st maybe 14st 3 lb and eating fairly healthy (atleast with in reason) never realy had a massivly sweet tooth (frozen jelly sweets being the exception) and always preferred sugarfree pop to leaded. Although I did always have a spoon of hunny in my te but didnt like sugar on cereal infact I didnt even have sugar in the house only tome I ever bought it wsd if I was baking . I swam 2/3rds to a mile 3 to 5 times a week and was even bradycardic (resting hart rate of 54 to 56) when I asked my dr he said it was because I had an athletes hart rate due to fitness from swimming rather than a medical problem and was somthing to be happy about. But I then started loosing energy I'd fall asleep dureing the day at work ( wake my self up with a snore) I was going to bed at 7 to eight at nigh when on days and straight away when home after night shift but not gettin up till 1 hour before leaving for work. I even noticed my resting rate was slightly higher but put it down to not pushing myself as hard at swimming. It got to the point last year that I stopped swimming and just couldnt motivate myself to get back to it even though I wanted to for the sake of my health (swimming only exercise I can properly manage due to acciden several years ago) i even stopped going to my garage and working on my bikes i used to be there every spair moment even if it was just to make somthing clean cleaner ,I also became ravonously hungry and for the food I had mainly been staying away from and started eating. I reacon (gave up weighing myself too depressing) that I put 6 st on in 5/6 months. I mainly figured it was down to depressin as I have suffered of it before. Things got worse at a pace and time that they where disguised of not noticed due to other illnesses . I had tonsillitis for 3 months and 2 of them they where septic and the antibiotics struggled to shift it I had also lost my licence for 28 day while this was happening and still working 60 hours a week while walkin 2 miles to bus stop getting a bus 12 mile buss journey and then another 2 miles at the other end and same back again it took 2 hours each waypluss this is in the peak district so everything is up or down hill. With all that has been going on I just thought it was me . I dont properly know how to explain it but those of you who may have suffered clinical depression will probably understand who easy it is for things to get away from you without you realising the true reason or even the extent of how ill you have become you just figuer its down to your own uselessness. Then of course it started beating me up and I had no choice to go to the Dr's and found out it wasnt just ME! it was the diabetes there was a reason for it and I could do somthing about it I really was thinking that this was it for me I was going to be like this or feel like this for the rest of my life and had pretty much accepted it. But now things heve turned arround so much I feel the best I have in a verry long time It was even noticed at work how much more alert I was throughout the whole day ( no snoring not even once). I obviously still have long a way to go and am sure I will have wobbles (no not the jelly type andy) and blips but am prety much certain I never want to feel the way i have over the last 18 month's ever again. I still have a lot of learning and a lot of figuring out. And I sertainly have questions and concerns . And am also so xxxxxx off that my Dr looks at me and sees my weight ( doesnt take into account how i was only last year and decides its all my fault and indeed it can only be type 2 he wont say this but you can see it in his eyes ( I am not saying it isnt infact it almost certainly is) my mother has also thrown into the mix " i have alwas wondered as you where always thirsty as a child andalways drinking water at home and mithering for drinks if we went out" ( she never had me tested though) ( is it possable to have bouts of diabetes throughout your life but run normal at others? As i have had symptoms before but didnt last long and when bg eventually taken nothing realy showing )yet I have not been tested to make sure there is nothing else going on . Sorry about the slight rant but gettin anoyed at the presumption of my diabetic diagnosis (given after only one blood test which I presume was only a bg test) rather than looking at me as a patient. My Dr's have been truly horendus I was 24.9 and rang surgery to get help/advice as to speak to dn and told not in today ring tomorow at 08.50 I said can I talk to a dr my blood sugars are very high and was told by receptionists dr dosnt realy know a lot about diabetes ring back tomorow so I daid my blood sugars are 24. And didnt get any further as she said numbers don't mean anything to me ring tomorow and put fone down . I rang the next day and told would not available would get call later . After 3 hours and further high bgs I rang back to be told I would not be getting a call I could however have an appointment in a month ( I already had appointment for the next week. Cut a long storh short (bit late for that I hear you saying) I enden up getting a local hospital and 111 nurse involved and making phone calls and go a 30 min over the phone consultation with dn and precription sent to chemist for me to pick up since then tney have messed up 3 prescriptions. To say I am not vey confident in them is an understatement to the point I think especiall the management and receptionist are incompetent.
And breath rant over well fore the moment any way
Cheers a congratulations if you managed to get throuh my ramberlings and still have the will to live . I said it would be a rant. I said nothing about it being intresting

Your wrong I found it very interesting :)
You really have had a struggle but you come across as very positive and I think you can talk nearly as much as me lol that's a good thing :)
Hope you get everything sorted health wise I truly understand how hard it is
Hope you can get back swimming too
Good luck and well done :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Thankyou netty I have gotten back to swimming but only 1/2 a mile (34lenghts) 3× per week but no where near as fast as I used to. But I'll get there :thumbup:

Netty70

34 lengths good god man are you Duncan goodhew was that his name in disguise lol well done that's amazing
Am a Zumba freak five times a week and counting
Keep it up and don't let them docs get you down you health is worth more than anything dont give up
Good luck
Will be keeping an eye on your progress :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Whompa, reading your story rang a few bells. Looking back, I think I probably had diabetes at least 6 months prior to diagnosis. In fact, my consultant told me this was probably true for most people.
You've had a rough ride but it appears you're turning things round. You'd be surprised how many people struggle just to get a diagnosis. Half the battle is won now, you know what has been making you feel so ill and you can do something positive about it now. Goo luck !
Mo

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
This is me not too long before starting to feel **** (aprox 12 months before and lost weight afterwards) you will Have to click on picture to bring it up properly.

Ps woohoo to me for managing to put picture up :D

Attachments

• DSCN2465-1_resized.jpg
    DSCN2465-1_resized.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 843

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I can identify with your story.

It was only when my symptoms (mainly tingling) got so bad that I took notice.
My doctors are awful too with receptionists like Rottweilers. They try to interview you on the phone before you get an appointment then it's a nurse first. Shockingly awful. Rural area so no choice.

Anyway you have make some great changes quickly, think how much better things will be in a few months when you have settled into a better routine of food and exercise.

I hope I can make changes too.

Cara

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ok so tonight have had indian take away it is the first since well before being diagnosed. It was Lamb kahri appana style I asked and they said they put no sugar or anything sweet in it . I ate it on its own but did put a couple of boiled eggs in . It tasted fantastic :lol:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hehe I love indian, I have only had it a couple of times since dx but they also make it special

im trying to swim, I can swim fine but cant seems to take in enough breath when I turn my head so I either swim with my head up and basically don't go anywhere lol or swim down but need mouth to mouth by the end of the length, but ill keep trying :) im trying to pluck up the courage to go into one of the lanes when its empty but yet haven't hehe so basically play with the kids mostly :)

I swear I replied to your post earlier but cant see it, maybe its one of my mysteriously disappearing ones, or it got deleted but I don't remember being rude although its always possible and daisy (love ya) likes to keep me in check :)

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Curry eaten . Was bloody starving aswell hadent eaten sice breakfast . Bg 6 before curry and woo hoo 7.2 two hours after. I beleive that means I can do curry no problem . Did miss rice and naan though

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh yes, try the veggies I fill up on them but the naan :( oh yes hard not to miss them, bgs look good but test a few times would be my advice, a test isn't a test till you did it a few times :)

lol you replace the water with the iron brew? sounds like sacralidge but I guess jelly is good with anything so maybe I should try it :)

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Andy12345 said:
oh yes, try the veggies I fill up on them but the naan :( oh yes hard not to miss them, bgs look good but test a few times would be my advice, a test isn't a test till you did it a few times :)

lol you replace the water with the iron brew? sounds like sacralidge but I guess jelly is good with anything so maybe I should try it :)
Sorry mate but it means I can make new exciting flavours and they are fizzy too. ( full can or 340ml pr jelly is ideal ) try it you may be converted . How about strawberry and cream soda? And raspberry cola is awesome.

Netty70

whompa73 said:
Netty70 said:
You should of had some brown rice and saw how it affected you

Will do next time but wanted to be able to see affect of curry on own as apposed to it with rice.

Just picked myself up of the floor.........a man with brains lol
Sorry a know sarcasm is the lowest form of whit........but it is also the highest form of intelligence
Only sarcastic people say that lol
Well done

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Netty70 said:
whompa73 said:
Netty70 said:

Will do next time but wanted to be able to see affect of curry on own as apposed to it with rice.

Sorry a know sarcasm is the lowest form of whit........but it is also the highest form of intelligence
Well done

REALLY (said in a tottaly condescending and sarcastic tone) lol

Netty70

whompa73 said:
Netty70 said:
whompa73 said:
Netty70 said:

Well done

REALLY (said in a tottaly condescending and sarcastic tone) lol

Haha

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Andy12345 said:
I swear I replied to your post earlier but cant see it, maybe its one of my mysteriously disappearing ones, or it got deleted but I don't remember being rude although its always possible and daisy (love ya) likes to keep me in check :)

Nope, not guilty :lol: I would willingly keep you in check though if you'd like..... :wave:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ooooh i dont know wether to be scared or excited now :lol: