Sore Bum

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
At work they have very hard toilet paper like sandpaper and irritated my bum. I saw my landlady has a cream called sudacream and I put some.
Is it suitable? Do I just leave it there for hours, or I have to remove it?
Thanks!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sudocrem is a soothing barrier cream, it will not harm you. You can leave it or wipe it away if you choose. Take a roll of decent loo tissue to work with you in future.

Reactions: Jenny15

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sudocrem is marketed as a nappy rash cream for babies. It’s brilliant for sore bums of any age. Just slap it on and leave it :)

Reactions: Jenny15

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Barrier cream will probably give you some relief, but if it doesn't, there are medicated creams available at a pharmacy without a prescription, and if that doesn't help, you may need to see a doctor for a prescription cream.

Barrier cream will stay on for the longest period if you apply it before bed. It's good for preventing irritation.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She also has vaseline, but I was thinking a disinfectant ingredient would be better? Any specific suggestion?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
She also has vaseline, but I was thinking a disinfectant ingredient would be better? Any specific suggestion?
If Sudocrem is there, it’s a great option. Very soothing. Vaseline just stops some friction.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ideally, a fresh tube of Sudocream would be better than someone else's, because bacteria from their skin could lead to an infection, but it's not a very big risk. AFAIK there's no antiseptic ingredients in Sudocrem but IMO it would be more soothing than Vaseline.

I tend to have so many issues with skin infections and irritations that I keep an arsenal of different treatments on hand all the time. But this may be a one-off skin irritation for you... hopefully.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What about papaw ointment? That is antibacterial and also soothes. You use it for cuts, burns, bites, nappy rash, etc. I've used it myself when I've had irritation and it helps settle it. I use it for lots of things... good stuff.

Reactions: Struma

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ideally, a fresh tube of Sudocream would be better than someone else's, because bacteria from their skin could lead to an infection, but it's not a very big risk. AFAIK there's no antiseptic ingredients in Sudocrem but IMO it would be more soothing than Vaseline.

A bit late, I’ve only just noticed this, but I just thought I’d let you know that Sudocrem contains Benzyl Alcohol which is “ a disinfectant/antibacterial agent and is responsible for protection against common bacterial contaminants.” See ingredients in this link:
https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/sudocrem-antiseptic-healing-cream/prd-i38

D

Deleted member 308541

I remembered what my father used on his haemorrhoids, it was TCP cream but it never stopped him becoming a pita tho'.

I don't know if you can still get it or not in the UK.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
A bit late, I’ve only just noticed this, but I just thought I’d let you know that Sudocrem contains Benzyl Alcohol which is “ a disinfectant/antibacterial agent and is responsible for protection against common bacterial contaminants.” See ingredients in this link:
https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/sudocrem-antiseptic-healing-cream/prd-i38
Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's at a level intended to act as a preservative rather than address bacteria on the skin? To do that, it would also need to not be an expired product. The medication ingredient I had in mind was a soothing/analgesic/anti-histamine type ingredient. Anyway, I'm glad the OP found relief.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's at a level intended to act as a preservative rather than address bacteria on the skin? To do that, it would also need to not be an expired product. The medication ingredient I had in mind was a soothing/analgesic/anti-histamine type ingredient. Anyway, I'm glad the OP found relief.
Sudocrem’s full name is Sudocrem - antiseptic healing cream ;)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sudocrem’s full name is Sudocrem - antiseptic healing cream ;)
True, but if an irritation requires analgesia, antihistamine or other similar ingredient, then the level of antiseptic ingredient in Sudocrem at the time of purchase (let alone after expiry, storage in unknown conditions, and use by another person) may be insufficient. It's all moot though, because clearly the OP didn't need a stronger cream, which is a good thing. All's well that ends well. ;)