Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, Have felt rough last 2 days, with a head cold kicking in and BG levels climbing upwards 17.6 at the moment!
The most discomfort is a terrible sore throat, I used to have honey,lemon juice with hot water to sip to ease this, as a diabetic now am wondering if I could still do this?
As I did find it was effective and eased it a litttle.
Anyone else do this or something else that is effective and alcohol free too, I really cant do the whiskey hot toddy thing.
As every time I swallow it feels like sharp glass and is awful. No improvement tomorrow am off to see the GP.
Anna. :(

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anna,
You can get sugar free Strepsils and other throat sweets to suck.
I had a sore throat a while back and only had normal Strepsils in the house so had one of those instead, didn't do me too much damage level wise.
Vicks do a spray that is good as you can squirt it on the bit that is sore.
Hope you feel better sonn.
Angie

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Anna

So sorry you're poorly! I do hope you haven't got tonsilitis - golf balls with razor blades in when you swallow?

I had a cold very early in the year and frankly said 's*d it' to the diabetes and had a lemsip with a flat teaspoon of honey. It didn't appear to do anything to my glucose levels, but if you're so high already . . .! Maybe sip, test, sip, test . .?

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Viv 8)

ClaireG 06

When i had pneumonia and DKA, so BG's very high, i had a sore throat to. I didn't want to go the honey route so just kept making sure i tried to sip drinks as much as i could and also used the strawberry sugar free strepsils. Steaming seemed to help my throat as well as everything else to and maybe good if you think a head cold is on it's way. I was also told gargaling with paracetamol or asprin might help.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No-added-sugar Ribena blackcurrant drink, made a bit stronger than normal and with warm (not boiling) water is also very soothing on a sore throat.

Hope you feel better soon.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi everyone.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I did finally end up doing warmed cooled down [boiled] sugar free vimto drinks. Lived off this last weekend and this week.
As coffee made me feel worse!
Sore throat eased off now , just left with an dry tickly cough cough cough !!
Anna.x :D

Sara Potter

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Other
Basil is the best herbal medicine for cough and cold. It is an important ingredient in herbal medicines and cough syrups. It helps muster the mucus during cold and chewing basil leaves relieves cold flu. It is one of the sore throat remedies as well. Boil Basil leaves and drink that water or you can even gargle with that water it helps sooth your throat. The very popular health drink “Green Tea” is made up of Basil leaves along with other herbs.

Combination of basil leaves paste and honey is very useful not only to cure sore throat but also to prevent sore throat infection. Its medicinal properties give immediate effect and soothe your throat. Some people make tonic of basil leaves by boiling it for long time and it taste acerbic. Its very beneficial for daily use and even for gargling. People who have bad breath can also use basil water to gargle every morning after brushing teeth.

Other benefits of Basil are:- It helps in treatment of respiratory disorder, kidney stone, Heart , Children’s sickness and immunity, stress, mouth infection, insect bites, skin problems, Eyesight, headaches etc. In India you will see almost every house with a basil plant. They grow basil in their garden and also worship it. In other countries it is used in cooking different dishes as basil gives a very good aroma and tempting flavor.