Sorry-Advice.

TracyA

Dislikes
Liars and ignorant people.
Im really sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Im hearing conflicting things about fruit,someone said stay away from it altogether,somebody said its fine to eat.
I love fruit,especially raspberries,strawberries and melon.Can i eat it? How about diet coke? What should our daily intake of sugar be? I am so new to this i really know nothing,although i am learning quite alot by looking through this forum.
Tracy.

mikey

Hi Tracy,
I'm not sure that there is a definitive answer to this question.
When I read through the forum I find people who can tolerate things that I can't, and others who have trouble with things don't cause me a problem.
I guess the best way to find out what suits you, is to experiment.
If you eat berries and find that they don't cause a major spike (They don't when I eat them) then you know that for you, they are fine.
Do you have a meter and test strips?
If not I would recommend that you get one and start learning what's hot and what's not.
For me bananas are a disaster but I know some type 2's who can cope with them reasonably well.
You could also look at the G.L. (Glycemic Load) of the food you eat.
This takes into account the portion size of the food.

I know how confusing all this can be at first but it gets easier as you go along.
Best of luck and don't worry about asking for advice, I do it all the time.

Regards,
Mike.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you do blood testing, Tracy ?
The only way to find out if you can eat fruit is to test the effect it has on your blood sugars. Test before you eat, weight out a measured amount of fruit such as berries, then test two hours later to see what sort of effect they have on you. I can eat berries but many people can't. Melon, Cantaloupe is the lowest with 4.8gm of carbs per medium slice.
Get a carb counter book as well. This way you can work out how much carbs are in foods that you like and then you can experiment with them.

TracyA

Dislikes
Thank you.
I have brought a testing kit,but to be honest im really scared to use it.I did it yesterday and my reading was 25.4.Is it right that if your level is low you have to eat a choccy bar? But what happens if your level goes really high? Im sorry,i am in the process of reading up on it all,theres so much to learn isnt there.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Tracey
Yes there is a lot to learn, but you'll be surprised at how fast you do. 25 is FAR too high.
are you using medication, or trying to control your Blood sugar by diet and exercise?
Whichever it is, you must get that number down.
I won't happen immediately unless you use insulin.
If you are feeling unwell, with a Blood Glucose that high, I would advis a visit to A&E or a 24 hour drop in Centre. You could be heading for trouble.
what has your doctor told you?
the question of eating fruit is irrelevant if you have a Bg in the 20s.
Hana

TracyA

Dislikes
When i saw my doctor yesterday he put me straight on Metformin,and since Wednesday I have cut out all chocolate, & ice cream ( which i was eating loads of),Ive also been eating lots of grapes which i thought was fine.I was brave and have just done another test and im so happy as it is 12.4.Much better isnt it.Phew.The thing is I really didnt feel poorly when my reading was that high yesterday,or maybe my cold was masking it i dont know,or have i just become used to feeling poorly and its now the norm if that makes sense lol.

mikey

Tracy,
that's a relief, you had us worried there for a moment.
12 is much better but you should be able to get much lower than that once you are up to speed with everything.
I'm not on medication but I think I'm right in saying that Metformin can take a while to take full effect. If you post on "Ask the Experts" someone will tell you more about it.
By the way, when I have a cold my readings go up a couple of points, perhaps you are the same.

Keep asking questions and you will be on your way to lower numbers.

Regards,
Mike.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tracey,

You could probably use a beginner's guide to blood glucose and type 2 diabetes!
All foods raise blood sugar levels, but to different degrees. Those which raise them highest are carbohydrates, particularly starches and sugars. Controlling blood sugar levels depends on limiting your intake of these foods to a level unique to you.
As a type 2, you still produce insulin which your body secretes to lower blood glucose. The less you need to produce, the more effectively it works and the better your blood glucose levels will be.
Fruits contain different types and different amounts of sugars. Berries generally contain the fewest, tropical fruits the greatest. Raspberries and strawberries for example have relatively little sugar and don't raise blood glucose nearly as much as grapes and bananas.
Your body is working hard to bring your blood glucose down to a healthy level (ideally around 5mmol/l). You can help it greatly by avoiding the foods which raise it (typically refined sugars and starches including anything made from flour, potatoes, rice and some fruits.)
There's lots more, but if you remember these points it should help you choose the best foods for you.

All the best,

fergus

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fergus said:
All foods raise blood sugar levels, but to different degrees. Those which raise them highest are carbohydrates, particularly starches and sugars. Controlling blood sugar levels depends on limiting your intake of these foods to a level unique to you.
As a type 2, you still produce insulin which your body secretes to lower blood glucose. The less you need to produce, the more effectively it works and the better your blood glucose levels will be.
Fruits contain different types and different amounts of sugars. Berries generally contain the fewest, tropical fruits the greatest. Raspberries and strawberries for example have relatively little sugar and don't raise blood glucose nearly as much as grapes and bananas.
Your body is working hard to bring your blood glucose down to a healthy level (ideally around 5mmol/l). You can help it greatly by avoiding the foods which raise it (typically refined sugars and starches including anything made from flour, potatoes, rice and some fruits.)

This is THE best advice and explanation I have come across - thank you Fergus. I have been struggling, since diagnosis of T2 back in July, to bring my BSL down (32 in July!) with the help of gliclazide 80mgx2 daily - today my average BSL has been 9 and the only carbs that have passed my lips have been one slice of homemade granary bread, one egg sized potato and a banana! It seems a constant uphill struggle which I am sure will improve in time but my blood readings disappoint me at times. Highs can still be 12-13 and a few lows have been around 3-4 (and I have come to recognise them quite easily).

It's particularly important to have straight forward information like Fergus'. Keep it coming!