Sorry, another DVLA question!

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi guys, I am an insulin dependant lada and live in Italy at the moment. I still have my GB licence but with an Italian recognition..
We are thinking about moving back to the UK in the next six months and was wondering If anyone has experienced informing the DVLA when all their
medical stuff is in another language and also my diabetic doctor and my GP don't speak English. I am worried this might hold up my application.
When you inform the DVLA about diabetes is there an automatic driving ban until it all gets sorted out?
Any advice would really be appreciated as I am really get myself worked up about it all.

Thanks Auds

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi guys, I am an insulin dependant lada and live in Italy at the moment. I still have my GB licence but with an Italian recognition..
We are thinking about moving back to the UK in the next six months and was wondering If anyone has experienced informing the DVLA when all their
medical stuff is in another language and also my diabetic doctor and my GP don't speak English. I am worried this might hold up my application.
When you inform the DVLA about diabetes is there an automatic driving ban until it all gets sorted out?
Any advice would really be appreciated as I am really get myself worked up about it all.

Thanks Auds
Hi Auds

Information and a downloadable form can be fund at: https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving The form requires you to give your GP and Consultant's details. There is further info at: https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions and it might be a good idea to contact DVLA n advance ofyourreturn if all is not clear.

Hope this helps

Doug

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Auds!

You can carry on driving while they sort it out so don't worry about that. I guess the medical reports being in another language probably will cause delays in getting it sorted - it took 3 months for mine and it was a straight forward case with everything in English. Some others on the forum have said that their' s have come through more quickly recently so maybe they've speeded up.

I'd definitely try to ring them in advance because if they need specific information from consultant it would probably be best if you explain it to him. I think the main thing is whether you have had more than one serious hypo - if he misinterpreted serious you would lose your license for year, so it is important that he is clear of the meaning of what he is answering. A serious hypo is one requiring assistance.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Thanks Doug and Smidge, I have had a look at the Dvla website and am going to give them a call tomorrow. Its a relief to know I can still drive , I was really worried about that. I will let you know how i get on.
Auds:)
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App