Sorry to ask….

Funnygirl121

Hello all, I’ve been diagnosed for 2 months now (type 2) and have been managing well. However it’s my sons birthday this weekend and one of the things is a tradition Chinese takeaway the night before his birthday. Can you recommend anything that I could order? How are things like Hot and Sour soup?? Any suggestions really appreciated. Thank you. Can’t believe my first post is asking about takeaway!

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
It's the one dish I always order. Not every Chinese does it though. Special Chop Suey. It has bean sprouts, chicken, beef. prawn. Veg. No other carbs at all. No Rice and no noodles. Usually comes in a larger container.
Oh and there is also Beef and tomato.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, I’ve been diagnosed for 2 months now (type 2) and have been managing well. However it’s my sons birthday this weekend and one of the things is a tradition Chinese takeaway the night before his birthday. Can you recommend anything that I could order? How are things like Hot and Sour soup?? Any suggestions really appreciated. Thank you. Can’t believe my first post is asking about takeaway!
Crispy duck or lamb is my go to ... just ditch the pancakes and sauce
Stir fried seafood maybe ?

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
I would phone the Chinese takeaway first and ask them what they recommend because a lot of dishes ave
hidden sugars and carbs in.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot and sour soup is good, just check they don’t add sugar, I sometimes have Tom yum soup, others have given good suggestions, I have foo yung, salt and pepper ribs from my local Chinese has no sauce, just a few bits of onion, some peppers, garlic and chilli with chilli oil.

Mine do chopped suey but they do add sauce so I just ask for it without sauce.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont have it often but I do ask my local takeaway not to add any sugar and then choose a mostly meat and veg stir fry type dish. Obviously I avoid anything that mentions sweet or bbq.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's the one dish I always order. Not every Chinese does it though. Special Chop Suey. It has bean sprouts, chicken, beef. prawn. Veg. No other carbs at all. No Rice and no noodles. Usually comes in a larger container.
Oh and there is also Beef and tomato.
Beef and tomato has ketchup and sugar in it, I've seen a video of it being cooked by takeaway chefs and it had four tablespoons of ketchup and one tablespoon of sugar in a container.

Reactions: lovinglife

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Beef and tomato has ketchup and sugar in it, I've seen a video of it being cooked by takeaway chefs and it had four tablespoons of ketchup and one tablespoon of sugar in a container.
When I have eaten this there has only been fresh tomato and beef. No ketchup. But shall check.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I have eaten this there has only been fresh tomato and beef. No ketchup. But shall check.
My local doesn’t do this, it’s more like a stir-fry like you have without sauce, if in any doubt I always say no sauce or added sugar.

Reactions: filly

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, that's interesting, I've only ever had the ketchup-y type. It has a similar sweetness to sweet and sour but obviously more tomatoey.
Maybe it varies in different parts of the country?