Sort of new type 1

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I was actually diagnosed as a type 1 in January, registered on here some months ago, but probably now only ready to discuss my terrible experience.

I went into A&E with >40 MMOL, basically they wondered how I actually functioned. I'd lost loads of weight, and anyone who hadn't seen me for >6 months really noticed it, and thought I looked very ill. The consultant at hospital since I've been back thinks I'd probably been very high blood glucose for a long time. The problem I had was as soon as I brought my BC into normal levels I had awful nerve pain, and it became I had significant peripheral nerve damage, in the dark days of Feb & March I was virtually unable to walk due to the pain and swelling in my feet. I didn't go out, and then was diagnosed of having major calcium deficiency, I think mainly not being exposed to sunlight. Since then I have progressed but still have some foot and nerve pain throughout my body, however I am nowhere near normal.

I also have a lot of nausea, and am often sick in the morning.

My BC control is ok, although I have had quite a few hypos recently. I'm basically pretty depressed with the whole scenario, I'm hoping to find some inspiration on this forum, as well as practical help.

Hello All!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your experience of having had diabetes for some time before diagnosis is not unusual and a big problem. I'm no expert on this but I think some of the damage done will gradually repair itself but we're all different. Now you have things under reasonable control the outlook should be a lot better as no more damage should occur. Do seek advice on the forum to avoid hypos if you need it. A lot depends on how good your DN is in guiding you on best insulin use but we all have some bits of advice to offer. Take care.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible that you might also have some damage to the nerves that empty your stomach, causing the nausea and possibly the hypos. It would be worth talking to your consultant/doctor about this.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
robert72 said:
It's possible that you might also have some damage to the nerves that empty your stomach, causing the nausea and possibly the hypos. It would be worth talking to your consultant/doctor about this.

I think this is the case, I have an appointment with a consultant next week and will raise it then. It has got a lot better in recent weeks.

Thanks for the feedback.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daibell said:
Hi. Your experience of having had diabetes for some time before diagnosis is not unusual and a big problem. I'm no expert on this but I think some of the damage done will gradually repair itself but we're all different. Now you have things under reasonable control the outlook should be a lot better as no more damage should occur. Do seek advice on the forum to avoid hypos if you need it. A lot depends on how good your DN is in guiding you on best insulin use but we all have some bits of advice to offer. Take care.

Hi, been working away for a while and now back for a bit. I have seen my DN and have taken advice to reduce my levemir, and increase my Novorapid with meals, this seems to have helped with the hypos. My feet seem a bit better, and the nerve damage does seem to be slowly repairing itself.

Thanks for your advice and insight.