Spikes and what then?

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing strict low carbing for about 6 months and lost over 2 stone and BS was good for the first 3-4 months but I did find I had a lot of dizzy spells and Myfitnesspal often said I wasn't having enough calories.. Admit I often didn't feel hungry and skipped meals (stupid).

I've been trying different foods that some people say doesn't cause spikes but everything sends me OTT. i.e. porridge, Burgen Bread, etc. I tried things that I knew weren't good too like a few baked beans with breakfast and about 6 chips at dinner but obviously they spiked me so I guess unless I go on pills I just have to stick to strict low carb.

My friend who is staying here offered me a chocolate chip cookie when I was having a cuppa this morning (**** him for buying them as I don't) and I wondered what effect one would have so as an experiment and as I hadn't had breakfast yet I had one. FBG was 6.5. I hour after biscuit 9.2 and 2 hours 8.7 :(

My question is as I didn't get up very early should I wait til BG goes right down before I eat anything else and would eating something else just push it up higher?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been trying different foods that some people say doesn't cause spikes but everything sends me OTT. i.e. porridge, Burgen Bread, etc.

Who told you they would not spike you ??? , burgen bread is better but its still bread , porridge is better if cooked from scratch but awful if out of packet.......... they are carbs and depending on the individual will spike to a greater or lesser extent....

My question is as I didn't get up very early should I wait til BG goes right down before I eat anything else and would eating something else just push it up higher?

It does depend on you really,,, you need to eat to your meter ....some find they need to eat first thing to get there bloods down , I dont myself so eat later........

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who told you they would not spike you ??? , burgen bread is better but its still bread , porridge is better if cooked from scratch but awful if out of packet.......... they are carbs and depending on the individual will spike to a greater or lesser extent....

I said some people say they don't cause spikes but I meant for them, so I decided to see what they did to me.

It does depend on you really,,, you need to eat to your meter ....some find they need to eat first thing to get there bloods down , I dont myself so eat later........

I'm obviously not making myself very clear - sorry. I meant having eaten something that spiked me, should I wait til levels drop before I eat again? That biscuit was naughty and not very nutritious or filling so I wanted to know if I could have my usual breakfast or had to wait for levels to normalise first.

C

catherinecherub

I would have eaten my breakfast @copey399 and not been too concerned about the next reading that I took because you were aware of why there might be a rise.
You have to try other things to see if they spike you, i.e. burgen bread or how will you know? A slice of burgen toast will have more impact than a slice of burgen toast with cheese and some mushrooms as you are adding protein, fat and fibre.

Some people can eat porridge if they eat a smaller portion and add seeds and crushed nuts. It is all about individuality.

You are doing fine, you will get there.

Reactions: 2 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have eaten my breakfast @copey399 and not been too concerned about the next reading that I took because you were aware of why there might be a rise.
You have to try other things to see if they spike you, i.e. burgen bread or how will you know? A slice of burgen toast will have more impact than a slice of burgen toast with cheese and some mushrooms as you are adding protein, fat and fibre.

Some people can eat porridge if they eat a smaller portion and add seeds and crushed nuts. It is all about individuality.

You are doing fine, you will get there.

Thanks @catherinecherub x I didn't know that adding cheese and mushrooms would make a difference or about the porridge with seeds and nuts. Always grateful for more knowledge xxx

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you add oils/fats (liquid or solid) to any carby stuff it can often help reduce or delay any potential spikes. It's a sort of "smothering" effect.

If you don't eat in the morning you may find you get a (helpful???:eek:) liver dump in place of your breakfast. If I'm highish in the mornings after a liver dump I'll often stay high till after my evening meal regardless of whether I've eaten during the day or not. If I'm highish before eating in the evening, I often find my glucose can sometimes stay fairly level or even reduce a fair bit afterwards though. :wideyed: You need to see what your meter says under various circumstances, and watch for any such patterns.

And I never bother eating and testing for any carby foods unless I think I might want to add them (back) to my diet - which isn't very often as I usually know what to expect!! I was piggy this morning and ate a rather pretty looking mini rhubarb and ginger tart from a pack my husband bought (for himself). I could only taste sugar :eek::eek: and my levels were up where I expected and more or less identical to your post choccy chip cookie ones. Sometimes for me these levels will have repercussions for a fairish while too!

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you add oils/fats (liquid or solid) to any carby stuff it can often help reduce or delay any potential spikes. It's a sort of "smothering" effect.

If you don't eat in the morning you may find you get a (helpful???:eek:) liver dump in place of your breakfast. If I'm highish in the mornings after a liver dump I'll often stay high till after my evening meal regardless of whether I've eaten during the day or not. If I'm highish before eating in the evening, I often find my glucose can sometimes stay fairly level or even reduce a fair bit afterwards though. :wideyed: You need to see what your meter says under various circumstances, and watch for any such patterns.

And I never bother eating and testing for any carby foods unless I think I might want to add them (back) to my diet - which isn't very often as I usually know what to expect!! I was piggy this morning and ate a rather pretty looking mini rhubarb and ginger tart from a pack my husband bought (for himself). I could only taste sugar :eek::eek: and my levels were up where I expected and more or less identical to your post choccy chip cookie ones. Sometimes for me these levels will have repercussions for a fairish while too!

Robbity

So I should have smothered the chocolate chip cookie in loads of butter then :) My diabetic o/h on insulin puts butter on biscuits and even meringues and I cringe because I know he shouldn't be having them at all but maybe it's not such a bad idea ..lol.

I know what you mean about too sweet. Tastes do change. Things you think you crave aren't always that great after a while. I still crave crusty white bread though and I'm sure it still tastes scrummy.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with @Robbity , when ever I fast after getting up I get a liver dump and numbers always move from 5 to 6's till later morning, when I have early lunch, so back to 6's... it's only when in late afternoon my numbers come back down again and sometimes very sharply.... sub 4.... liver tries to keep you right and getting in with it is a challenge for me.