Spikes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not a good description but a spike is when your blood sugar level is higher than the level acceptable to you. If you drew a graph of your blood sugar against time the curve would go up and then down again.

They are symptomless, mostly, and using a meter is the usual way to tell.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Whilst I'm not disagreeing with @Squire Fulwood for the sake of it, I've seen others on the forum define a spike as being 2mmol difference between your pre-meal reading to your after meal reading.

I don't think that the term spike is well defined and is open to some interperetation.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I'm not disagreeing with @Squire Fulwood for the sake of it, I've seen others on the forum define a spike as being 2mmol difference between your pre-meal reading to your after meal reading.

I don't think that the term spike is well defined and is open to some interperetation.
That's precisely the point @urbanracer, people set their own targets. The only "official" target is to be less than 8.5 after two hours. All other targets are arbitrary and set by individuals for their own purposes. I have seen the less than 2 you mention and I have seen others where no net increase is the target. It's horses for courses.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A spike can be seen as the high point before your blood glucose levels return towards normal levels.
If you have a continuous monitor, the high point is the spike on the graph.
We RH ers define when and how quickly we ascend and then work out if that spike is too high. Probably any spike is too high but you get the gist.
How quickly we ascend decides how quickly we hypo, when we spike!