1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Spiraliser

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by nessie216, Jul 11, 2018.

1. nessie216

nessie216 Type 2 · Member

Has anyone got any recommendations for a spiraliser?

I’m looking on Amazon and there are so many different types which is leaving me feeling quite lost!

I’m in the UK

Any type I should steer clear of?

We currently wash up by hand as no dishwasher (although hoping to get one soon) so easy cleaning is a must :)

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine was from Amazon, KitchenCraft.

Happy with it, don't use it as often as I should.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I picked up a set of three cutters cone shaped, in Lidl - as I don't need to make a lot of spirals. They were cheap and seem efficient, just rinse under the tap after use and put on the shelf. Fine for one or two people. Thick, thin and strings are the options.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Whichever you decide upon, please consider how you will clean the blade or blades. Spiraliser + finger = much claret.

It’s astonishing how far a little finger claret goes in a washing up bowl.

No. Don’t ask me how I know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine is 3 years old and I use it a lot. It is called Spiralizer with a Z and I think it must be the US original. It has an important feature, maybe they all do, of a powerful sucker to lock it to the worksurface.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I was trained to never put a sharp knife in a washing up bowl - they are cleaned and dried and put away safely, it is a very good habit to develop. The spiral cutters are always rinsed out, dried and replaced on the shelf and not even graters are put in water to soak as they also can do damage to the unwary.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buddy

Buddy Type 1 · Member

Have a great attachment for the Kitchen Aid. Zucchini "noodles" are a breeze. Here, in the US, these "noodles" are a big thing, especially for people attempting to eliminate carbs.

8. seanj67

seanj67 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have the Lurch one which set me back £30, but in my opinion it's no better than the one I got a friend from the Range at £5 - the design is identical and you get the same blades. I Like mine but don't use it nearly enough. I use a long handles dish brush to clean mine in the sink.... they are sharpe!

9. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We got a Mueller Spriral Pro a couple of years ago and have found it very good indeed it was £29.99 from Amazon. We wash it in the sink which doesn't take long at all. The suction feet on it work very well and blades (4) are easy to change.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook