Splenda in Cooking

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else found that the taste of splenda in cooking is not very nice!

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I've followed Splenda recipes and anything I have baked seems to have a weird taste and it ends up in the bin!Its okay sprinkled in home made custard, rice pudding etc and in tea and coffee but cakes/biscuits - yuk!

I would rather reduce the sugar in a recipe by half and have a smaller piece!

Any comments?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to agree with you on that. Yucky.

I have been using aspartame/acesulflame for sweetening. There is controversy surrounding all sweeteners but it's what I like.

wiflib

Thirsty

If you're considering using sugar anyway, would granulated fructose be a reasonable alternative? It's nearly twice as sweet as normal sugar and the body processes it differently.

Just asking; baking isn't one of my strong points.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Fructose tastes nice, but causes you to form triglyceridess. However, a small amount probably wouldn't hurt. It also has a good texture, which Splenda does not.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Is Fructose what I might see in the supermarket as Fruit sugar?

Thirsty

fiona35 said:
Is Fructose what I might see in the supermarket as Fruit sugar?

That's the stuff. I've used it occasionally, and it does taste better than Splenda. Chocfish's suggestion might be worth looking into, although I haven't seen the product available in Britain.

zanc

zsweet can be ordered from http://www.zsweet.eu/
Note that diabetes.co.uk advertise in the top right of the page. Does this site have an "interest" in zsweet?

At £21.98 GBP per 680gm I think I'll stick with Splenda for the rare time I use a sugar substitute.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The Zsweet is in a 680gm bag. The cost as you say is £21.98 delivered to your door in the UK.

To get the same quantity of Splenda you would need at least 9 packs as they only weigh 75 gms per pack. This gives you a total weight of 675 gms. A little short of the Zsweet quantity.

The Splenda (75 gms x 9) is quoted at Pharmacy2U as costing £27.25 including UK delivery. As you can see this is a lot more expensive.

Please note that I have no connection with any of the products or companies mentioned above. Just wanted to get the facts right zanc ?
As for 'interest' ? This site has an interest in Diabetics only.

Ken.

zanc

cugila,
Ha, I can see where you are coming from. Splenda Granular Ceka 125g Tin (£3.19 from Tesco) "has the equivalent sweeteness of 1.25KGg of sugar". I had noticed that Splenda's mass density is significantly less than sugar. Do you know what the mass density is for zsweet. Without this information comparisons are useless.

PS I'm impressed with the number of your posts - nearly 3000 in 3 months!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi zanc.

Mass Density. Not a clue !! The only thing I can suggest is an e-mail to the distributors here might give you your answer unless somebody here knows.

I can only speak from experience with both products, I found the Zsweet sweeter than the Splenda and also a better granular consistency, the Splenda is like Icing Sugar. I therefore use less of the Zsweet, so it goes further. Not that I have a sweet tooth you understand ??

As for my posts...I do spend a lot of time on here. It is enjoyable work. :D

Ken