Type 2 Splitting film-coated sitagliptin tablet

Elamber

I take sitagliptin 100mg but I get some side effects (tiredness and funny taste), so I would like to take it in divided doses. Would sitagliptin work as intended if I split the tablet?

The tablet is coated in a special film but I was wondering if that's there to reduce stomach inflammation or if it makes sure the tablet has the correct pharmaceutical effect by not dissolving in the stomach.

Thank you for any info.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A quick Google says, as I expected, these coated sitagliptin should be swallowed whole. Also we can’t advise on drug dosages here on the forum, so this is something to discuss with your GP.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take sitagliptin 100mg but I get some side effects (tiredness and funny taste), so I would like to take it in divided doses. Would sitagliptin work as intended if I split the tablet?

The tablet is coated in a special film but I was wondering if that's there to reduce stomach inflammation or if it makes sure the tablet has the correct pharmaceutical effect by not dissolving in the stomach.

Thank you for any info.
Your pharmacist will know and may be able to supply a 50mg version.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a 50g dose, ask your GP.
The coating is there to protect your stomach, especially since your surgery.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

I have wondered about capsules too. So, if the gelatinous capsule is there to protect your stomach, cutting it in portions but preserving the other part and reattaching it, should be OK right; the other problem I might wonder about, is whether the powder inside is homogenous.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have wondered about capsules too. So, if the gelatinous capsule is there to protect your stomach, cutting it in portions but preserving the other part and reattaching it, should be OK right; the other problem I might wonder about, is whether the powder inside is homogenous.
When I was young and stupid, I tried doing that with a oral antibiotic that I was taking for a infection on my leg. I broke the capsule open and put the antibiotic powder directly on the wound and put the dresssng on, which stayed on about five minutes before I ripped it off and washed the stuff out of the wound.

Burn is not the word for it.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
When I was young and stupid, I tried doing that with a oral antibiotic that I was taking for a infection on my leg. I broke the capsule open and put the antibiotic powder directly on the wound and put the dresssng on, which stayed on about five minutes before I ripped it off and washed the stuff out of the wound.

Burn is not the word for it.
Yes, I have noticed a stomach ache with lithium powder, similar to your antibiotic sting. But I am suggesting that the cut capsule part can be fitted on top, once the amount is depleted. In that cse, the capsule is still intact. I do wonder about the distribution of the drug powder being even though.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was prescribed a half pill of vildagliptin a day, and splitting them was a complete nightmare. I like Mr Potts' idea of checking if there's an alternative dose or delivery

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

The tablets (not capsules) I take have to be lactose free and have to have an enteric coating. Which the sitagliptin I have is prescribed.
When I was building up my dosage I was first put on 50mg.