Staggering (also called running)

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
There's a running club near me that does beginners groups, think I'll take a trip down Monday. Can only help :) They might be able to give me some tips especially on regulating breathing. They also reckon they can get you running 5K in 10 weeks max.

1st 5K then who knows :)

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have you heard of c25k? Couch to 5k, it is awesome apparently, have a look at "therunningbug" website, all kinds of useful stuff there, my running club says once you can run 10 minutes its a good idea to join a beginners group, which your doing so :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is that Dan Lieberman? He's very insightful, and non-dogmatic about it as well

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my sister went from nothing to the Great South Run following the C25K programme and then on from there.

It's got some great advice for beginners. But I would definitely invest in an HRM so you're not overdoing it to start with. Better to stay within yourself and run 3-4 times a week than go all out and knacker yourself so you can only run once a week.

Having a goal is a great idea, but you need to have a plan to get there as well and have it laid out in meaningful chunks.

basic HRM models - The main onese are Garmin, Polar and Suunto - I've tried the first two, have settled on Garmin for my own reasn
Good reviews here - http://www.heart-rate-monitor.co.uk I've bought from these folks in the past although they no longer sell direct.

Garmin FR70 - HR monitor but not GPS, can pair with a footpod to give you distance
Garmin FR 110 adn 210 are the entry level GPS tracking watches
Polar FT1, FT2, FT4 - more basic, no GPS, no pace alerts, HR and time only only, but good enough - I started out with the FS1 or FS2 many years ago - perfectly adequate but my percieved needs changed. They now do GPS versions as well.
Suunto I don't know much about, never had one

Also look at
Garmin FR 50 - second hand now as discontinued, but you'll find on E-bay and the like, I had one of these, was very good
205 - same again, you may find them on e-bay from those who've upgraded

Avoid TomTom watches,they're ****

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
2nd pair of Bare x 200 training shoes ordered :(. Left is fine right is toe problem present. When they measured my feet at clarks the one was a slightly different shape broader and l didnt think anything of it both came in at 5ish.....she was hesitant on the one and said 5 / 5.5 but settled on 5
Given this l am going to try a 5 on left foot and 5.5 on right foot. I have just run about 10 rounds of lounge/office/kitchen like a demented goldfish in a bowl and the baregrips are fine (thank goodness) and a different shape with longer toe box.
When l tried the shoes on when they cam l just walked round in them never occurred to me to run. :banghead:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I have just run about 10 rounds of lounge/office/kitchen like a demented goldfish in a bowl

:hilarious:

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
blush2.gif

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
That breathing technique was a bust Andy. Walking l wanted to breath in on the left out on the right soon as l started to run it reversed, talk about confused. l finally managed to let my body not brain decided and found l was panting to fast. or do you sort of leave a step in the middle?
Then l had a rethink and worked better breath in when right foot hit ground out when right foot hit ground in when it came down again.

This also was a bit confusing breathing on the right foot pace but easier.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Still looking hard at HRM reviews l have a thing about reading negative ones and then not going further thinking positives may be a set up. Need to dive back into the review pool for a wider look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hehe it dosent matter left or right which foot you start on, it does take some getting used to

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just breathe, your body will work out what to do just fine.

You can overthink stuff you know.

:borg:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
been there, done that.

Don't have the T-shirt - no technical advantage:D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
At the moment l am over thinking HRM and car dashboard cams.My poor Andy just sees the back of my head for hrs as l mutter and compare. lt is doing my head in.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Off to my first running club for beginners tonight :) at least we'll all be in the same boat :) Nervous but looking forward to it :confused:

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just breathe, your body will work out what to do just fine.

You can overthink stuff you know.

:borg:

I can't breathe, that's the issue! I get that horrible dry throat thing and think I'm about to suffocate. I tried to focus on breathing yesterday but it just didn't work

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Off to my first running club for beginners tonight :) at least we'll all be in the same boat :) Nervous but looking forward to it :confused:

Oh that sounds fun! I should maybe look for something like that

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Just thought it'd help & also get some handy tips :) If you google beginners running groups should come up with something, that's all I did then chose the closest 1 to me. They reckon they can get you to 5K in 10 weeks max :)

UPDATE
First running club night for beginners & managed 1.9 miles run/walk mainly running well chuffed with myself :D

Last edited by a moderator: