Starting a keto diet

Tawfiq

After been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week . And after recovering from the shock I decided to start a keto diet which I did few years ago to lose weight. It did work back than and lost around 20kg. But failed to maintain the weight and came back to the old habits and eventually put 10Kg. As a result I ended up with the diabetes but I have determination to beat it or at least put into remission.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMunday

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble with starting "a diet" is that "diets" tend to be short term and have an end.
For type 2 diabetics, keto, or at least low carb, is proving to need to be a way of eating for life.
You might find it helpful to consider this the start of your new way of eating for life (often abbreviated to "woe" on forums and fb)

Hope this helps

Reactions: Tawfiq

Tawfiq

The trouble with starting "a diet" is that "diets" tend to be short term and have an end.
For type 2 diabetics, keto, or at least low carb, is proving to need to be a way of eating for life.
You might find it helpful to consider this the start of your new way of eating for life (often abbreviated to "woe" on forums and fb)

Hope this helps

Totally agree but I need to get those sugar levels down to a normal range and a long term lifestyle to what to eat is needed eventually, like stopping junk snacks and fizzy pop and the white carbs!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree but I need to get those sugar levels down to a normal range and a long term lifestyle to what to eat is needed eventually, like stopping junk snacks and fizzy pop and the white carbs!
I think @MrsA2 meant to not look at the keto diet as a diet.... It's not a temporary thing, which diets are usually considered as. You'll need to implement this for life. Or, well, depending on what your meter tell you, you might be able to relax it some to low carb/high fat, rather than have keto be the constant companion in your life, but... You've already started this Way of Eating (Woe). Not something for "eventually"... You're already there. ;)

I went from low carb, to keto, to carnivore, so yeah... Whatever label I slap on it, it'll be low in carb for the rest of my life. If you get your blood sugars down with keto, that's wonderful, but you won't be able to go back to eating the same level of carbs once you get back into the non-diabetic range. You can relax it some, with a bit of luck, should you want to. But you can't go back to eating a few hundred grams of carbs a day again, even if you achieve that goal, as it'll just put you back to square one. Hmm. That's a bit of a sweeping statement. You could, of course, but it'd mean needing (more) medication to keep the diabetes in check. You do have options.

Good luck,
Jo

Tawfiq

I think @MrsA2 meant to not look at the keto diet as a diet.... It's not a temporary thing, which diets are usually considered as. You'll need to implement this for life. Or, well, depending on what your meter tell you, you might be able to relax it some to low carb/high fat, rather than have keto be the constant companion in your life, but... You've already started this Way of Eating (Woe). Not something for "eventually"... You're already there. ;)

I went from low carb, to keto, to carnivore, so yeah... Whatever label I slap on it, it'll be low in carb for the rest of my life. If you get your blood sugars down with keto, that's wonderful, but you won't be able to go back to eating the same level of carbs once you get back into the non-diabetic range. You can relax it some, with a bit of luck, should you want to. But you can't go back to eating a few hundred grams of carbs a day again, even if you achieve that goal, as it'll just put you back to square one. Hmm. That's a bit of a sweeping statement. You could, of course, but it'd mean needing (more) medication to keep the diabetes in check. You do have options.

Good luck,
Jo

Thank you. I did keto diet few years ago to lose weight it worked but unfortunately I slipped back to the old habits and because there was no diabetic symptoms at all. I thought I got away with it not till routine blood check came back with the result I was dreading. I started the keto diet slowly and I noticed my fasting sugar this Morning dropped from 12 to 9. It was a boost that things are going in the right direction after just stopping energy and fizzy pop and junk snacks, today is the first day with proper keto diet. Just eggs and bit of salad and cheese for breakfast and and cooked veg with salmon for dinner. The only snacks I had was a bit of hazelnut. Nuts from the previous ketone I did can be a hurdle for weight loss that’s why bit wary how much to snack on as it can be tempting to finish whole bag in no time..

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I did keto diet few years ago to lose weight it worked but unfortunately I slipped back to the old habits and because there was no diabetic symptoms at all. I thought I got away with it not till routine blood check came back with the result I was dreading. I started the keto diet slowly and I noticed my fasting sugar this Morning dropped from 12 to 9. It was a boost that things are going in the right direction after just stopping energy and fizzy pop and junk snacks, today is the first day with proper keto diet. Just eggs and bit of salad and cheese for breakfast and and cooked veg with salmon for dinner. The only snacks I had was a bit of hazelnut. Nuts from the previous ketone I did can be a hurdle for weight loss that’s why bit wary how much to snack on as it can be tempting to finish whole bag in no time..
Ah yes, nuts can be one's downfall.... Salted almonds are the devil's work. (For me, anyway). You're off to a great start, and it is so encouraging when the numbers reflect the success of your recent changes. With more yet to come!