Starting Again

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you did the low carb diet before then you might not need to get a meter - though I did find mine a useful monitor of my progress as my BG levels dropped down.
I have found that the amount of carbs I can eat now is about the same as when I was low carbing to control my weight - an absolute maximum of 60 gm a day, but down to 40 gm some days and closer to 50 most of the time.
My Hba1c dropped from 91 to 47 in 80 days, so the difference low carbing makes is very significant. I had to stop the Metformin as it was making me very ill.

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. Although still very high I'm so glad it's heading in the right direction!

I haven't started taking my metformin again yet, I am tempted to see if I can do this without it, I'm fairly sure I can. But I don't want to get told off.. Silly isn't it, I feel like a naughty child

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Roxanne

I'm starting again too. I didn't have any deaths to deal with but the landlord did sell the house with barely any notice and we had to move across the country, find new jobs and live with my parents. It has been a really stressful 6 months and I let my health get out of control again.
Onwards and upwards though, things will get better.
x

Last edited:

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although the HbA1c is spoken of as a 3 month average, it is significantly front end loaded - meaning the most recent period is more significant. Improving your diet significant;y can have a good impact, as you have shown, but by how much varies depending the individual and what they have actually done.

It's certainly a nice bit of news before Christmas. Well done.
This is a bit more reassuring to hear (well read) after a bit of a burn out month, not helped by pre-Christmas bobbins!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome back! You're in the right place for friendly advice and support. I recommend the SD Codefree and I've managed to persuade my GP to prescribe 50 test strips per month. She agrees that I'm using them to inform my diet choices and improve my health and she approves of low carb diets. I know not everyone has such a supportive GP. Even my DN said I should stop testing so much yet I had reduced my BG from 52 to 35 in 3 months. I only managed to do that through testing.

As others have said, you've done it before, you know what to do, so I'm sure you will get good results.

Happy Christmas!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm doing stage2 of my own weight loss pre-bariatric surgery on January 2nd.
I've had a few Christmas treats and a few Christmas meals/parties. I have a new year's eve party left and nibbles in the house.
I skipped stollen cake, Christmas cake, mince pies, cream, trifle and Christmas pud.
Nibbling today and a few roasties with meal. No alcohol.

I'm looking forward to my stage2 too @Roxanne. Are you meeting us on weigh-in Friday thread? Or do you prefer to do it alone?
We have a great bunch on there currently.
Many have lost stones there too.

I cannot wait to get dug in.

dipsydo

Do not fret about falling off - 10 years ago I lost a lot of weight and was fine and then one thing and another, I rather let myself go - so many people in the same boat when life seems overwhelming but I am of the view that all bad things will come to an end and in the last year got back to my 10 year ago weight by losing. 4 stone using Low carb. It is possible to get back on the wagon but the important thing is not to beat yourself up and you have recognised that you have let thing go 4 years quicker than I did!

I note you have multiclix lancet if you want to use it might be worth knowing that Roche are stopping multiclix but were offering a free fastclix replacement if you go on their site. I find it better than the T2 lancet which I find is a bit if a faff. I find not expensive to use as I admit to using each lancet until I feel like changing to the next one - but you should note that you are told that you must use one lancet per test so I am not recommending my approach.

Reactions: Brunneria

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies