Starting School

pplprincess5480

So, Lottie is now 4 and a half and has been pumping since mid april. After a lot of effort getting things sorted for her at Pre-School we've now come to the next bridge, starting school. Lottie has 1:1 support at Pre-School because she also has selective mutism which means that she does not tell anyone at Pre-School when she is hypo.

I approached the school after Easter to find out how to go about getting the support she needs and we still haven't got anything in place. I'm really starting to get stressed about the whole thing. I wanted Lottie to be as independent as possible at school but unless they have appointed someone to be trained up within the next four weeks I am going to have to start school all over again with her. Then I am going to have continue to stay with her until her support person is confident about using the pump. I really wanted Lottie to have begun forming a trusting relationship with her support as well. She has just begun communicating with the staff and peers at Pre-School after two years of attendance and now she will have to begin all over again.

Sorry guys whinge over. I find it so frustrating that another child in her class who has obvious physical disabilities has had all of this groundwork done for him without his parents having to chase the school just to get information let alone help.

Now the whinge is really over. Thanks x x

serankine

Just wanted to say i feel for you and i hope everything goes ok. :p

I am lucky one way ny daughter is on the pump and i work at her school.
But in another way she relies on me for so much since i sort all her insulin out.
Like you i want her to have more independnce since she is going into year one. The D.Nurse are going to train the year one teacher up. So she doesnt have to come to me for everything she eats and her B.g Tests.

Hope everything goes well for you.

annettekp

Hi

My wee boy has just turned 3 and will be starting nursery in August and starting on a pump. We're extremely lucky as my friend's little girl also a type 1 already attends the school. We'll also be given the same type of pump as she has so as not to confuse the staff!

The DSN will be there the first day Erland attends and will do further training and refresher training with the staff. I think there are 3 staff (2 teachers and the nursery nurse) trained up to use the pump at the moment and 3 more (teacher, classroom assistant & janitor) willing to do training.

We live in a rural area in Scotland and the school is very small but I do appreciate the fact that the staff have been so willing to embrace diabetes, because that's nearly the entire staff who will be trained up but I suppose with 2 diabetic children it makes sense.

Our DSN is excellent in the time she gives to training in school.

I hope you manage to get everything sorted but your DSN should be able to put training in place.

Annette