Starving

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Paul,
I have had hypertension for thirty years.
There is certain percentage of the population with excess aldosterone from the adrenals that would be better following the doctors advice on low sodium.(salt)
Do you mind telling me what BP meds you are on, please?
If you eat carbs your insulin may be high and it will cause you to hold on to sodium, restrict the size of your arteries and put up your BPand this causes CVD.

Low carb reverses this, so much so some feel it necessary to eat sodium because BP goes down and they temporarily alter their fluid balance.
But if we feed properly the body balance our electrolytes itself.

But I am not in that fortunate position.:)

I have three large eggs fried lightly in loads of olive oil for breakfast with the oil soaked up with flaked almonds and my BG stays low even when I have few blue berries as well in coconut milk.
I stay filled most of day and and my weight is right down to target. BP fine Metabolic syndrome reversed.
best wishes
Derek

Hi
Type 2
High Blood Pressure
High cholesterol
Low salt diet

Please help me with something I can eat that tastes ok.

Thanks

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to clarify the minute amount of salt I put in my coffee is the only salt I have - I do not use salt in cooking - oh except for the experimental baking I did a few weeks ago, first in 18 months, half a teaspoon, but that is because I find coconut flour to be sweet tasting which is a bit odd with supposedly savoury items. Day to day, however, no other salt.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
A selection of herbs and spices can buck up an apparently boring diet with simple cooking. Are you testing your bg level, at least on waking and before and 2 hours after each meal? Keep a record of the results and you will find the foods that are troublesome for your body. I would swap the breakfast banana for a few (6/7) berries - strawberries are coming into season and then there are raspberries.
Enjoy fresh fish, unprocessed meat of all kinds and some dairy as long as you are taking exercise and your test results show that you can tolerate it. @Brunneria gave you some good ideas for a start. Try to keep the vege above ground and if you are really hungry snack on salami and cream cheese, a firm herb cheese or some pork scratchings. Just watch the portion size. You will find that you don't need to add salt to food, I have never even added it to water to boil vege in. There is enough salt in food unless you do a lot of exercise on a really hot day when a pinch in a glass of water is sufficient.
Remember the doctor is working with the advice that he is sent, he is not there every minute with you. If you read around the forum and the internet then decide that you want to try to reduce your medication that is for you to decide. We are all different and what works for one will not work for someone else. We need to try various options until we find the one that fits in our life, personal circumstances and character.
Best wishes