Statins Don't Help Elderly Live Longer

M

Moggely

Hmmm Well what can one say and whom does one believe. Nope to statins for me though.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Pass me the hammer.

I do not wish to register to gain access to the article but would like to know why the Spanish authorities are calling on the British NHS to change guidelines (I agree but fail to see the Spanish connection).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
M

Moggely

For the love of me i will never understand giving medicines of any kind to people who are healthy. After all 85?. One can't live forever. Waste of time all these studies. However that was interesting as i never knew doctors do these things.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Does it say in the Times article whether or not the Spanish have called on all EU countries to stop the blanket prescription of statin?
Reading the comments below the DM piece just shows how much opinion is divided on statin use and that some people still think that the lower the TC the better.
I can't read the full Times article either. Maybe @DCUKMod can answer it as ISTR she may have a subscription to it.

Another blogpost from Statin Nation on the study:

http://www.statinnation.net/blog/20...o-benefit-for-elderly-british-medical-journal

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually it was more nuanced than that. This is from the NEJM Journal Watch. Full text here: https://www.jwatch.org/fw114548/201...hy-elders?query=pfwTOC&jwd=000020120918&jspc=

"In both old (75–84 years) and very old (85+) people without diabetes, taking statins was not associated with a lower risk for CVD or all-cause mortality. Among those with diabetes, statin use was associated with lower CVD risk (hazard ratio, 0.76) and all-cause mortality (0.84) in the 75–84 age group; the protective effect was not apparent among the very old.

Editorialists call the findings "exploratory" and say they "should be tested further in randomised trials — to rule out any confounding."

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have said no to statins also. Can I just deviate and ask you people who are clued up about my husband (not diabetic) who was put on statins for A-Fib reasons. The poor man hasnt had a single decent nights sleep since. In your reading have you found anything which is relevant. Sorry to go off track...feel free to refuse!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have said no to statins also. Can I just deviate and ask you people who are clued up about my husband (not diabetic) who was put on statins for A-Fib reasons. The poor man hasnt had a single decent nights sleep since. In your reading have you found anything which is relevant. Sorry to go off track...feel free to refuse!

If he takes his statin at night, ask him to try taking it in the morning. My husband had a similar problem in the short time he was on statins. His GP told him to take it in the mornings. That seemed to help.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If he takes his statin at night, ask him to try taking it in the morning. My husband had a similar problem in the short time he was on statins. His GP told him to take it in the mornings. That seemed to help.
Thanks for your response Bluetit. He takes all his meds in the morning after breakfast.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think doctors use any excuse or ailment as a reason to put someone on statins. I had A-Fib for 2 separate periods of approximately 2 years (I have been A-Fib free since a catheter ablation in 2012, if I do feel my heart is a little out of rhythm now I have one dose of magnesium and it usually goes straight back to sinus rhythm). I have never taken stains. I have read that there is no clinical evidence that statins have ever been of any clinical benefit for women, and on those grounds I would always refuse them. Not sure what I would do if I were your hubby, but I reckon lack of sleep can't be doing him or his A-fib much good. There's a few thread here about statins, I would read the links in those to help him decide what to do.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much Zand. His A-Fib is ongoing. Thereis history of heart issues from his (late mothers) side. One of our boys was born with a heart murmur which they say has mended. I will look up threads you suggest but he will take a lot of convincing to come off them or any other meds. I can but try! Thanks so much for replying.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum Have you considered why he was given statins for A-FIB? I understand that A-Fib has the potential to cause CVD/strokes, but will statins help with this? The normal stroke preventative meds are blood thinners (Warfarin etc) but these (nor statins) will never cure the A-Fib. I know the blood thinners can help with blood clotting, but statins?????

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit I will check if he is on blood thinners, awful but I dont know. He takes loads of meds, works 13/14 hour days and its not great. We are both 60 still got one at Uni (started late lol) but now trying to downsize so he can quit work and have a better life. So appreciate all your comments. Thanks again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't read the full Times article either. Maybe @DCUKMod can answer it as ISTR she may have a subscription to it.

Another blogpost from Statin Nation on the study:

http://www.statinnation.net/blog/20...o-benefit-for-elderly-british-medical-journal

Yes, @Indy51 , we are long time subscribes to The Times. @Guzzler - The article is incredibly brief and says very little indeed.

Sorry to be so late replying, but I've had a very busy day today and only just had the opportunity to scan reread the article.

Reactions: Indy51 and Guzzler

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Would just add he is fit plays golf every Sat, works in garden and does his best to eat well.

Is he of normal weight (BMI is a rough guide)?
Just wondering because golf and gardening are good for overall fitness but are unlikely to reduce weight.
"Does his best to eat well" describes most of us, I think, and not all of us manage to maintain an ideal weight.:)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have long-term AF, pretty much completely controlled by taking Flecainide. I am also taking Dabigatran, one of the NOACs (New Oral Anti-Coagulants) which are replacing Warfarin. I think it is reasonable to take this, as it is supposed to reduce my risk of stroke, which AF increases. However I am adamant about not taking statins. I told my GP that I felt Flecainide + Dabigatran + Glucophage was enough meds for one person and he agreed!

Reactions: zand