Statins Don't Help Elderly Live Longer

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is he of normal weight (BMI is a rough guide)?
Just wondering because golf and gardening are good for overall fitness but are unlikely to reduce weight.
"Does his best to eat well" describes most of us, I think, and not all of us manage to maintain an ideal weight.:)
Thanks so much for your response. Dont know his BMI or weight but his waist is 36 inches and his height is 6ft 3inches.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have long-term AF, pretty much completely controlled by taking Flecainide. I am also taking Dabigatran, one of the NOACs (New Oral Anti-Coagulants) which are replacing Warfarin. I think it is reasonable to take this, as it is supposed to reduce my risk of stroke, which AF increases. However I am adamant about not taking statins. I told my GP that I felt Flecainide + Dabigatran + Glucophage was enough meds for one person and he agreed!
Thanks so much for that info Alexandra. I will need to investigate further. Its now 7.40pm and he is due back from work at 8ish. I have our dinner ready to go.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guzzler and @Indy51 - If you're keen to read The Times arrticle for yourselves, it is posted on Twitter by a few folks

Reactions: Guzzler

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How dare they call people over 75 elderly! I can assure you that despite my username, I am no such thing.
"Elderly" is nothing to fuss over. My ex-husband who is over 80 has been in hospital and was upset to read the word "geriatric" on his notes. Personally, at 76 I bite on the bullet and call myself "old".

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks so much for your response. Dont know his BMI or weight but his waist is 36 inches and his height is 6ft 3inches.

That is well within the guidelines of waist measurement half his height.:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Is that his actual waist size as measured with a tape measure, or his trouser size? There can be a big difference.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited: