1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Statins - GP insisting Simvastatin 20mg

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jan_P, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Rachox Did your discussions with the doctor cover whether your T2D (diet controlled) affects the new Q-risk score. It has always seemed odd that you have to add on big numbers even though you are not currently diabetic. I did my own numbers on the new tests and was very low risk if you can ignore the T2D.

2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a slight correction, I take Metformin so I’m not solely diet controlled. However he did agree with me that it wasn’t fair that all Type 2s score the same regardless of control. He did say, and quite rightly, that you’ll never know if you have suffered any damage between the start of your diabetes and diagnosis. There definitely needs to be graded scores for Diabetes, maybe score all diabetics a couple of percent as a blanket score but then add more as your HbA1c rises?

3. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you are unlucky enough to get the muscle pain it goes away when you stop the drug. Only about 1 person in maybe 5,000 gets any actual muscle "damage'' measure by CPK enzymes. That's REALLY rare. All the bad stuff's reversible.

4. Rachox

Staff Member

I’m not risking being the one of 5000 that does get the permanent damage!

5. TheBigNewt

Actually I've never seen that happen and I've prescribed statins since they came out. Muscle pain yes, liver function test elevations (reversible) yes. I think one weird bad thing I forget. that's it. I have a feeling the providers there get some sort of Good Do Bee quality points for doing this risk assessment and getting some people to take preventive therapy like statins. I don't use 'em a lot for that.

#45 TheBigNewt, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. paulus1

paulus1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i had the reversible pain unplesant. my liver function tests are still out of range.

7. TheBigNewt

There's a gazillion reasons for LFTs to be out of range. If it's statin they go back. If don't go back still blame statin.

8. Rachox

Staff Member

I had a drug some years ago and had a side effect quoted in the data sheet as 1 in 10,000!

9. TheBigNewt

Then don't you dare read about metformin!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Rachox

Staff Member

It’s ok Metformin is just fine for me luckily!

11. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Tap water where I am will raise your blood sugar it has fluoride in it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Well there we go ...... we can't eat or drink anything. :arghh:

13. paulus1

paulus1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

well it was normal before and then went mad when they put me on 80mg simbastatin sorry cant spell. think my gpwas mad to increase my dose by 8x. i refused it for a number of years then had a cardiac issue and am taking it at 10mg my bloods are off but not as bad as at 80mg. ive just had to go through a screening for liver conditions all normal apart from the alt and aft

14. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Grrrrr. Glucose control is MUCH more important. Sorry just to assert, but it makes me so cross.

Evidence: suggest you read Peter Attia blog for in-depth on cholesterol, if you like science. Malcolm Kendricks is also good, if annoyingly jokey sometimes. Fact remains that lowering cholesterol for women has always increased all-cause mortality. Not one single study where it hasn’t. I would never take statins.

Read, research. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

Atorvastatin 4Omg a day gave my dad uncomfortable muscles pain enough to prevent him from wanting to exercise and increase his bg reading by around 10%. The side effects took about two weeks to appear and a month to go away after tapering it off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @millenium That really struck a chord. I have so often seen my Doctor and DN give me the blank look, over numbness in the feet, pins and needles, low B12, statin problems... It must be deliberate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

If anyone is interested, Justin Smith has released the full version of Statin Nation I on Youtube:

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook