Statins & high cholesterol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What we use statins for is to treat ESTABLISHED CORONARY DISEASE
That may be what you use stains for however most GP's in the UK will try to get anyone with Type 2 onto statins which is not a good thing. That is why these cardiologists are complaining. You are speaking from your own perspective whereas most of us here are looking at things through the window of avoiding unnecessary medication that could even turn out to be harmful rather than preventative.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
[QUOTE="Guzzler, post: 1664234, member: 408573
Why is it that top notch cardiologists are saying in no uncertain terms that cholesterol is not the enemy. And why medicate, or plan to medicate, whole populations on flimsy evidence that bears no scrutiny. If the evidence, the proof, was clear that lowering cholesterol extends life then why is it so very difficult to find.
No reputable cardiologist ever said lowering cholesterol with statins extends life in "whole populations". What we use statins for is to treat ESTABLISHED CORONARY DISEASE (in case you didn't read things that I've posted). In fact if a cardiologist implants a coronary stent into a 60 year old patient who's suffering a heart attack and fails to prescribe a statin it is clearly against the standard of care IMO. Right then and there you know what that guy's probably going to die of. He has a clear disease process established. Statins are proven to lower his risk of another coronary event NO MATTER WHAT HIS CHOLESTEROL IS. Go ahead and eat more avocado and forego the dreaded statins if you want, I'm not selling you any life insurance lol.[/QUOTE]

'Established Coronay Disease'? So why are people being put on statins with no sign of any disease?

And while you are here, remind me of the name of the state in N.America where plans were afoot to add statins to the water supply only to be scuppered by public outcry? Whole populations.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And while you are here, remind me of the name of the state in N.America where plans were afoot to add statins to the water supply only to be scuppered by public outcry? Whole populations.
OMG!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Not far removed from the calls in the UK not so long ago to put everyone over 40 on statins.
The guidelines now are to put everyone with more than a 10% risk of CVD in the next 10 years on statins. (Using the ridiculous Q-Risk formula). All diabetics fall in that category, no matter how good their health may be. In fact, having diabetes increases the risk factor more than smoking, according to the Q-Risk formula.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

As far as I can remember the plans did not get off the drawing board but HCPs have been heard to say, jokingly, that it would serve better to put it into the water supply to make sure everyone was taking the drug.
Funny that!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There can be no question who benefits most from statins: patients with established CAD, and patients with really high cholesterol who, before statins came out, were most likely to die from CAD, which is still the biggest killer in the US. People ***** about taking a mere statin, which as a class are amongst the safest and best tolerated drugs around. And then they agree to a freaking bone marrow transplant for metastatic multiple myeloma which is super toxic and dangerous, makes them sicker than sh*#, and may prolong their life for a year. Right? I don't think there was a push to put it in the water supple lol. But statins were close to being released as over the counter drugs, like proton pump inhibitors (Nexium) and some newer allergy meds.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not far removed from the calls in the UK not so long ago to put everyone over 40 on statins.
The guidelines now are to put everyone with more than a 10% risk of CVD in the next 10 years on statins. (Using the ridiculous Q-Risk formula). All diabetics fall in that category, no matter how good their health may be. In fact, having diabetes increases the risk factor more than smoking, according to the Q-Risk formula.
Oh I hate the q risk score! If you remove Type 2 from my calculation I wouldn’t score for Statins, but add my very well controlled type 2 (my gp’s words not mine!) I immediately qualify :banghead:

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Except that I have the right to say no to my GP, whereas it would cost a lot and be a real pain to have to drink & cook with only bottled water for the rest of my life

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A reason to be cheerful my GP was so laid back as to be horizontal over my diagnosis..... A friend of mine was put on them, only because there was a history of heart disease in his family. His cholesterol was normal, he was incredibly healthy and fit but 'just take them to be on the safe side'. His wife said he turned into Mr Hyde almost overnight. He had aches and pains everywhere and brain fog. All diabetics? No thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I hate the q risk score! If you remove Type 2 from my calculation I wouldn’t score for Statins, but add my very well controlled type 2 (my gp’s words not mine!) I immediately qualify :banghead:

I score simply on age grounds, without anything else!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
patients with really high cholesterol who, before statins came out, were most likely to die from CA
Does this mean total cholesterol and LDL (my problem at this moment, but my tris and HDL are very good)?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Except that I have the right to say no to my GP, whereas it would cost a lot and be a real pain to have to drink & cook with only bottled water for the rest of my life
Latest news here says bottled water is worse for your health than tapwater.
Does this mean total cholesterol and LDL (my problem at this moment, but my tris and HDL are very good)?
Yeah LDLc is a major risk factor for CAD. It's calculated: LDLc= Total Chol-HDLc-(TG/5). Can also be done directly if the TG's are high.
Being female makes you less likely to have a CAD event UNTIL you hit menopause then you catch up with men. And taking estrogen replacement pills doesn't do any good after that either.

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed, 23 Dec 2017, I think I've gained more info here than I did at Clinic (I seemed to know more than the nurse which was worrying).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed, 23 Dec 2017, I think I've gained more info here than I did at Clinic (I seemed to know more than the nurse which was worrying).

Welcome aboard! Yes, it is worrying. The NHS is very slow to catch up with research, new science, and modern thinking. My nurse said that to me at my recent review!!!!!