1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Statins - talk by Nick Mailer

Discussion in 'Non-Diabetic Medication' started by Indy51, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I always find Nick's talks very entertaining and he has a unique approach to things. Discussing cholesterol, statins, the metabolic pathway that statins disrupt to lower cholesterol and other disruptions they cause. If you haven't seen him before, worth watching - he and Ivor Cummins are good friends and Ivor has posted a couple of chats with Nick on his channel; Nick has also given talks at the Ancestral Health Symposium, Low Carb Breckenridge and other conferences.

Nick Mailer: Your Marvellous Mevalonate Machine vs the Statin Slayer:

P.S. He also wears the coolest food shirts :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Informative and very very scary....especially for anyone taking statins....
    edit to add I wonder how many of the GP's prescribing them have any idea of how this works...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I right enjoyed that one once my eyes adjusted for the glare, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

I think this needs a bump up.. anyone taking statins should watch it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rosco 2

rosco 2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Stopped mine Friday after advising GP of my preference to stop.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

'Oh, don't worry - that's just a huge amount of cholesterol packed in there, destroying the cells - don't worry about it.' (Said ironically! Of course!)

What a hoot! (Not really, but I have to say that. Otherwise, when I think about doctors generally prescribing statins to people with diabetes, as part of standard primary care, I should cry.)

I thought at first this would be a good vid to direct folks to, who want to know more about the 'should I take statins or not?' question, and the general statin controversy. I do think Nick Mailer is a great communicator, but I would say - watch the beginning, to the point it loses you, and then fast-forward towards the end, especially at the points where the fungi enter the picture. Then you get the gist without the detail, unless of course - the detail grabs you too. And then I would say - good on ya mate! Well done.

But yes, good to see how statins are robbers of essential thingie-me-bobs in the mevalonate process. How that happens, more than just 'sharing the same pathways', which was my understanding before. Thanks again @Indy51.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bumping relentlessly...

8. CoastGirl

CoastGirl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for this @Indy51, very enlightening. How are theses drugs allowed on the market :banghead:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook