Statins?

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi newly diagnosed 2 weeks review and I’ve changed my diet considerably and lost weight. Am on metformin going up to 2 a day today.
Nurse said my cholesterol was high as I now have diabetes- it’s 7 and dr wanted to put me on statins. I refused as I feel I want to try at least with diet!
Anyone on statins too? I’m type 2 and was 10.2% HbA1c.
Thankyou everyone and happy Friday

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on statins, but with the diet that tackles diabetes (Low carb, high fat), I got my cholesterol down too. And fixed my fatty liver. So you could certainly give it a go!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine most of us are offered statins (T2 diabetics) when first diagnosed because in the words of my GP "we put all diabetics on statins". I knew no better in those days so I took them for a couple of months, despite the fact my cholesterol and lipids were normal. I then began research into them, mostly by using links provided by members of this forum, and immediately stopped taking them. So did my husband, who is not diabetic and also had normal cholesterol, but was given them because he was over 60.

Before you make any decision to take them, you need to know what your cholesterol breakdown is - the HDL, the LDL and the triglycerides. Hopefully all these were tested in order for the nurse to know your total was 7. If you don't have this information, you can ask the receptionist for a print out of your blood test results. You are entitled to these. Also, if you are in England your surgery may put test results on line as they were asked to do 3 years ago. You can ask about this, and how to register for this service. As this can take a while, getting print outs is your best bet for the time being.

There is an excellent thread here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/ but you need several days to read through it all and listen to the videos.

Reactions: Guzzler

Annie1962

The day I was diagnosed I stopped taking a 40mg statin that I had been on since 2004. I have read too much on the adverse effects of statins on what is now called "Type 3 diabetes"! my mother (also T2) was diagnosed with early onset dementia when she was just my age (57), I would rather leave managing my triglycerides to my LCHF diet. This is just my personal choice.