Type 2 Statins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on a low dose of statins 9 days ago, since 2 days after, my blood sugars are 4-5 points higher. Hase anyone else had this problem? I've googled but cant get a definitive answer.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a known issue. I was on statins for a number of years before I was diagnosed as T2, and in retrospect believe they were part of the cause. When I refused to take them any longer, my glucose levels immediately came down by a couple of points.

Robbity

Reactions: Rachox

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on a low dose of statins 9 days ago, since 2 days after, my blood sugars are 4-5 points higher. Hase anyone else had this problem? I've googled but cant get a definitive answer.
I was prescribed statins when first diagnosed with an hba1c of 48. Within 6 months my hba1c had risen to 54 but when I came off them due to other side effects my hba1c reduced quite quickly to non diabetic levels. My GP has now annotated my medical notes as ‘statin intolerant’.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am taking a low dose of statins and I am going to review my decision to take them after my next Hba1c, in November. By then I will have been taking them for six months. So far, my blood sugars have gone up, but only by .5. The Hba1c will give me a clearer picture, I hope.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the input. I was on statins many years ago and ended up walking with 2 sticks due to the pains especially in my legs. Doctor stopped them and was put on benzifribate due to liver problems, unfortunately they haven't helped , cholesterol is 5.3. So I'm between a rock and a hard place, because the leg pain has started again.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Which is a perfectly acceptable level to be at.. do you have the full lipid panel breakdown out of interest?
Liver unit and gp kept on at me to take statins and yet the diabetes dietician says my readind is fine. So who do you believe!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for late reply. No I don't have the full lipid panel breakdown. What should it be showing?
Well the first thing you should try to do is get the full set of numbers.
Then we can show you where to go to analyse what they mean.
Doctors and nurses saying "fine" or "bad" are pretty useless, the numbers themselves are key.

Reactions: OrsonKartt