Type 2 Statins

lelisabethjo

My doctor says even when my cholesteral is normal, he still wants me to take statins, he says they have more benefits than just reducing cholesteral and says long term they prevent hardening of the arteries and i should take them. Has anyone else heard this ? what does eveybody think ?

polarsun

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Statins are known to thin the tendons. After being on 40mg atorvastatin for two years, my lipds are perfect. But I have achilles tendonitis in both ankles and can barely walk, and that, with considerable pain. Research it please. 25% chance with this statin to have tendonitis.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't know about the tendons, but now know why when i was taking them, why i couldn't even lift my heels off the floor when standing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor says even when my cholesteral is normal, he still wants me to take statins, he says they have more benefits than just reducing cholesteral and says long term they prevent hardening of the arteries and i should take them. Has anyone else heard this ? what does eveybody think ?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be worth reading up on the HUNT2 study on over 50,000 Norwegians:

This was the conclusion:

Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be worth reading up on the HUNT2 study on over 50,000 Norwegians:

This was the conclusion:

Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial.
And that was 2012. 11 yrs on and the recommendations have tightened not loosened.