Statins!!!

Bishop

Hello everybody!
What do you think about statins? How many of you are currently taking them? Can you share us from your experience if there was something wrong with them?!
The doctors are pushing me to take them but I am young and I would like to know more about it. I would like to hear more from the pacients not only from the doctors. Is it better to postpone it or not?!?
Thanks!!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't have high cholesterol but I'm on statins. I stopped taking them and when I had a pre op I was asked about them, I said they're prescribed but I don't take them. I was told I should as they are used for avoiding heart disease so I've started taking them again. I've read on here that lots of people have trouble with side effects from them but I don't.

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i had problem's with simvastatin i was then put on Lipitor i have been fine,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you don't have muscle pains or other symptoms then taking them should be fine, but don't tolerate any side effects as they can be serious. The NHS has an obsession with keeping cholesterol below 5'ish without strong evidence that that level is right for everyone. If you have a family history of blocked arteries etc then seriously consider them but only in the smallest dose necessary to keep your cholesterol down. My GP prescribed the max dose for me to start with (a bad medical decision). Fortunately I tolerate them well. but I had to ask for a reduced dose when it was reducing my cholesterol by too much. My suggested lower dose keeps me at 3.5 which is fine.

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Hi, I had been taking statins for years, but I had pains in my legs so I wondered about coming off then. Then I read Dr. Kendrick's book The Great Cholesterol Con: the truth about statins, and it finally made up my mind. Excelent book even although it comes from the view piont of heart desease. You can get it from Amazon

Another book that is useful to read is one by Jenny Rhul, her book is about reducing your blood sugars,but she also advises against statins as evidence shows they do so much damage. But obviously you will have to research for yourself and make your owm mind up.

Don't just go on them without checking other options Good luck kate

dawnb64

I was put on Simvastatin in January by one GP - maximum dose I think and felt 'woolly headed'. When repeat cholesterol tests in March came back better I asked about stopping them but got told I was on them for life.

Saw a different doctor for a second opinion as there is some link to dementure, which my brother is suffering from, who said it was up to me and we agreed we would see what my levels were like in September.

However, forgot to take them for several days on holiday (and felt better) so made the decision to stop now and see what effect low carbing has on my levels. If there's no improvement or a deterioration I may reconsider.

Dawn

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I don't take statins myself (refused them as I wanted to do my research) but my daughter (T2 on insulin and other meds) does.

It is an issue that continues to concern me as she is on a high dose, Simvastatin 80mg but doesn't appear to have side effects from it. She has quite complex issues so I am very loathe to ask for these meds to be stopped if they can be valuable in keeping her well..it is worrying though.

Alliballi

Bishop said:
The doctors are pushing me to take them but I am young and I would like to know more about it. I would like to hear more from the pacients not only from the doctors. Is it better to postpone it or not?!?
Thanks!!

When I became 45 my consultant wanted to put me on them, as he told me they were prescribed as a preventative for diabetics to strokes etc. After a long chat about my health checks for which I have no complications, and my chloesterol level only 3.7 at that time I chose not to take them...He also told me he could see no harm in them as long as I didnt read the daily mail :shock:. I'm now 50 and my health checks are still all good and my cholesterol now at 4.1.

For me I cant see the point of taking a drug if there is no need, which I dont think I needed it...My consultant never mentions it now! :D

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Bishop,

I have read every post or link connected with statins on this site for the last 12 months. Nowhere have I found a DEFINITIVE answer to your question. Personally, I do not know if anyone does have and that includes the so-called experts who all have diametrically opposed opinions. For myself, my cholesterol was 6 when diagnosed and still is many years later (you would call me old ha ha ha) using 10mg x 1 Simvastatin at night with no related symptoms. If recommended that you should go on statins then go for a low does at start such as mine and see how you fare. Good luck

Bishop

Hello,
Thanks for your answers. I am waiting after some blood tests and I'll see what should I do.
Regards!