1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Status quo....

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by VMK, Feb 15, 2020.

1. VMK

VMK · Well-Known Member

I am T2 using diet and exercise only to control blood glucose. In the first 9 months from diagnosis I reduced my HbA1c from 48 to 43 and then 41. My most recent HbA1c was 41 again. This has been maintained by staying under 100g of carbs per day. I would obviously like to get it lower but feel that this level of carbs keeps my appetite satisfied. Plus I over indulged a bit over Christmas!

So, not perfect but OK for me. Thanks for all the info available on this forum.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You could consider increasing fats and proteins whilst lowering carbs to keep you satisfied.

3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Define perfect.
    You sound very happy with how things are. Don’t fall into a trap of trying to match other people’s claims of perfection.
    Oh and well done.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. VMK

VMK · Well-Known Member

Thank you, yes. Am working on that...

5. VMK

VMK · Well-Known Member

Thank you. Perfect would be not having BG spikes but I do sometimes!

6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I got a 41 and 42 on 50 gm of carbs a day, so thought I'd try 40 gm for a while - bound to go down I thought.
    Nope - 42, 42 answer to life, the universe and everything......

• Like Like x 3
  7. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the fish

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

In my persona view, VMK, most people have a bit if a happy place when it comes to this T2 diabetes malarkey. Happy of course being a compromised happy on a scale of eating anything and everything we want to at any time or day, versus an unsustainable regime of deprivation and unhappiness. It looks like you might either be there, or close to it.

When folks encounter that "happy place", in my observation, their A1cs sort of almost dance around a number, only varying one or two points, and their weight also tends to stabilise, but te good thing is, they often find the regime that got them there to be acceptable over the longer term.

Great progress, and at 100gr carb a day, your lifestyle and eating patterns can likely be quite varied. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree if you have a place that you can sustain that keeps your levels down to a non-diabetic level then you have hit the jackpot.

Congratulations .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook