Stem cells treatment

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It sounds awesome, but given the fact that stem cells treatments is still in the research phase in other countries and people participating in the trails have to take anti-rejection drugs I am a bit skeptical about it. Espcially since the website also says that it focuses on anti-age treatments.

Indie1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think it is different from "islet cell transplant", because stem-cells are produced from your own cells and thus do not cause rejection, at least this is how I understand it, but it looks too good to be true..

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my original beta cells were made from my own stem cells & my immune system still killed them off. I have a lot of GAD antibodies. My immune system is primed to kill off any beta cell whether from a foreign body (transplant) or from my own stem cells - they will only last so long. It would only be respite, unless there was a cycle of harvesting stem cells, creating beta cells & replacing as quickly as my immune system was killing them off - sounds unsustainably expensive? Unless/until there are leaps forward with stem cell therapy.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know anything about that company, but I do know that I watched a programme a while back about stem cell scams. People paid a lot of money to be cured of things like MS and spinal injuries - and it didn't work.

Reactions: 2 people

Ewan1

funny thing today, my consultant said that within ten years this will be available, he implied that it would need 6 monthly top ups, perhaps because our immune systems will kill the new cells

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
funny thing today, my consultant said that within ten years this will be available, he implied that it would need 6 monthly top ups, perhaps because our immune systems will kill the new cells
My consultant said exactly the same thing! He even mentioned 6-monthly top-ups. Wonder if they got a memo haha.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi

I've been send a company called Swiss medica they claim to cure or improve diabetes thought T cells what do you think?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we need more information. There is a lot of research going on but I'm not aware of anything yet that can cure or improve diabetes thru T-cells?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If they are actually offering treatment, rather than just discussing things they're working on, then I'd say it's a scam. If there was a new wonder treatment available I'm sure some of the very clued up folk on this forum would know about it and would have been shouting it from the rooftops

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Fayefaye1429 I don't know anything about this company, but there have been plenty of stories of similar companies who treated a huge range of illnesses (because stem cells are that easy - NOT) with no results. People with MS or spinal injuries have paid out thousands of pounds and were not cured.

Google stem cell scams.