Step into Spring

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did my 30 mins walk this morning in the Blue Mountains, been 'glamping' all week. Tonight I will be sleeping in our nice king size bed as opposed to a single mattress on the floor ... only downside is I will have to listen to Mr T's snoring machine. Oh well ...

Two weeks tomorrow to my nephew's wedding ... some very drastic action needed if I'm to get into the dress I'm planning on wearing :-( Wonder if anyone would notice if I wore the same one I wore to his first wedding??!! Could probably get away with the shoes and bag :)

Hmm, yes, glamping and walking in Blue Mountains sounds tougher than trying to walk on icy pavements or stand upright in galeforce wind.

All is not lost though. Swimming pools open again today. That will do for me.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

When I did my XPert diabetese course they told us not to think "exercise" but ACTIVITY as not everyone can exercise. Tomorrow I will be changing beds, cleaning the bathroom and walking the supermarket if I have time I will take down the Xmas tree. I reckon those activities will be as healthy as a brisk walk and will do me as much good. So don't feel bad if you can't join in as long a you are active for a while every day. Good luck to those of you EXERCISING though.w

I've been preaching them ACTIViTY message for ages so totally agree . I hate the word exercise because it scares people and puts them off . Being active becomes natural after a while and can be very productive on a cold night if the 30 minutes is spend cleaning the stairs or the kitchen.

Reactions: 4 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We often start the year with a visit to the Donkey Sanctuary near Sidmouth, even though today the weather was dreadful and we just managed a 15 minute walk out to the shelter where our adopted donkey lives (Teddy, he's blind from birth and lives with a group of other blind donkeys and a few sighted ones who help them out).

This is inside the main barn (there are a couple of hundred donkeys here altogether).

View attachment 10439

And this is Teddy through the glass in his shelter

View attachment 10440

So it's back to the rowing machine later with weather like this!
@sanguine great pictures... As a child I always wanted to have my own donkey. I never achieved that wish, but I do now sponsor one. :)

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't do too well on the whole 'activity' thing yesterday as I had a house full. But I did a lot of running around and we played a rather vigorous game of musical chairs last night which I am sure burnt of some calories lol

Anyway today I need to kickstart myself, it's sunny but freezing and I am tempted to stay curled up in front of the to where it is warm, but I've just got myself dressed and am off for a walk and a wonder around the shops.

Have a great day everyone

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Two brisk walks for me today, one for 25 minutes and one for 30 minutes in very windy Hampshire :(
And what about the skive today? I'm thinking it's short for sky dive? ;-)

30 minutes walk for me today.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Didn't do too well on the whole 'activity' thing yesterday as I had a house full. But I did a lot of running around and we played a rather vigorous game of musical chairs last night which I am sure burnt of some calories lol

Anyway today I need to kickstart myself, it's sunny but freezing and I am tempted to stay curled up in front of the to where it is warm, but I've just got myself dressed and am off for a walk and a wonder around the shops.

Have a great day everyone

If you had a houseful you probably moved more than you think.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I went for a 35 minute walk then gave my demented aunt a shower , that was harder than the walk lol

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
40mins walk - hail & rain today followed by good browse in bookshop (heaven)

Reactions: 5 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Took dogs to new dog park that has opened and we were the only ones there so had a long walk round. Just about to leave and Freddie spotted a Jack Russell in the distance at the other end of the park and decided to dash back to say hallo!! So I had to do the whole distance again to recover Casanova!! Lola was not impressed with him nor was I!!!

Reactions: 5 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hooray...I have at last used the cross trainer:) only a short time but it a start! i will do a few short amounts over the evening and hope to build it up.

No dog walk today though:(

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Can't wait to feel better and get rid of laryngitis and start walking agsin x great inspiration thread x

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I was looking at them on Amazon not really expensive so I wondered if it would end up in my useless gadget pile

i might just try one, got a blanket wrapped round the seat currently.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I bought a foam type exercise mat from Lidl today, thought i would put it under my exercise bike to protect the carpet. Its really good, cut a section off to put my bike on and have plenty left. Was only £4.99. Going to give the other bit to my dad for his exercise bike on wooden floor.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thwarted in my attempt to use the swimming pool this morning, as it is still on holiday timetable. Went to retail park instead. Could hardly stay upright in the strong wind, so abandoned that walk after 13 mins.

Home to collect swim kit for visit to pool in late open session. Dropped a bottle of Baileys on the floor of the laundry room. Shattered on the ceramic floor. Shards of glass everywhere, including in the shower room next to the laundry. Some glass only big as grain of sand. Lovely beige coloured blobby pattern up the aqua coloured walls, on the 3 doors and paintwork and windows I cleaned yesterday. Also in the clean laundry. That took me a total of 85 minutes to clean up. Swept twice mopped twice, vacuumed twice. Then washed all paintwork and windows again. Enough activity, even though I still didn't get my swim.

Reactions: 9 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear Pipp. At least you got some exercise, even if not the planned one.
Doing well ladies. ( I think we are all ladies bar Sanguine) - did 15 minutes walking and then 30 on bike tonight.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear Pipp. At least you got some exercise, even if not the planned one.
Doing well ladies. ( I think we are all ladies bar Sanguine) - did 15 minutes walking and then 30 on bike tonight.

Thanks
At least It saved me drinking the sweet sticky calorie laden stuff. Bit inconvenient having to shower with boots on though, as I am not convinced all the glass is cleared.

Reactions: 3 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hmm, yes, glamping and walking in Blue Mountains sounds tougher than trying to walk on icy pavements or stand upright in galeforce wind.

All is not lost though. Swimming pools open again today. That will do for me.
Ah yes I did forget about the icy pavements ... occasionally we get a small drop of snow in the Mountains and I remember once going for a walk with the dog and almost falling on my bum due to a slippery patch of ice. I have walked in the rain before, though that was at a time in my life where I was a lot more motivated .. now if I open my eyes I think 'oh good it's raining, I can go back to sleep!' :)

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
At least It saved me drinking the sweet sticky calorie laden stuff. Bit inconvenient having to shower with boots on though, as I am not convinced all the glass is cleared.
Glass on the floor is one of my nightmares as I might not feel it.