Type 1.5 Sterilization for women with diabetes?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry if I used the wrong terminology @Snapsy I used the phrase a friend used. Hope I didn't offend :)
No apology needed, @azure - gosh, no, not offended at all - and there's nothing wrong with the term 'childless' as it does of course describe the situation, and lots of people describe themselves in that way - I consider myself childfree because it just feels a little 'lighter', if that makes sense.

Sorry if my post sounded in any way negative!

:happy::shy::)

Reactions: azure

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Far be it for a mere mortal such as I to intrude here but my OH after our second child was born decided no more I concurred and she then was sterilised at the age of 26. Sometimes it's not, not wanting any but limiting how many.

If the NHS won't do it there is always the private health care option.

Though I do believe that if you want to be child free then the NHS should abide by your decision and fund the procedure.

After all they do fund gender changing operations and procedures.

Reactions: Robbity

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't comment on persuading the medical professionals (and having multiple health conditions myself, I know they can sometimes be patronising), but with regards to operations, I have had a salpingectomy, IVF treatment retrieving eggs and a caesarian since the onset of my diabetes. If you just go for tubes tied, I think that would be closest to my salpingectomy which had about 2 weeks to full recovery. Diabetes management was not hard during this time, I tested more often, so it shouldn't be an issue. Good luck! If you have any way of affording it, you may find the doctors are more pragmatic when going private.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

I don't want to have children and have always used birth control to prevent pregnancies, but now that I'm on insulin I react very poorly to hormonal birth control. While condoms are totally fine, I'm also finding myself in a position where I just want to be sterilized and be done with it. I'm still 'young' (29) so I'm probably going to have to fight for this, but I also have a whole range of medical conditions of which diabetes is only one that makes me terrified of pregnancy and what it will do to my body and soul. Besides the fact I don't want kids, I also consider adoption a 100% valid option, and would prefer it over having my own even without the medical stuff if I were to ever change my mind.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I know women with diabetes can have absolutely normal pregnancies so I don't think it's a good 'excuse' for a doctor to go with. (It's quite sad that a firm "I never wanted kids" is not enough, actually.) I do have a herniated disc, bad knees and mental health problems since my teens which make me entirely unfit to be a mother even if I wanted to be. And then there are the aspects of having a moderately invasive surgery as a diabetic to weigh against this.

Just want to see if anyone else has been sterilized as a diabetic and what the risks/issues were you ran into?

My husband and I moved in together when I was 30; 3 months after I developed type 1. About a year later we decided we didn't want children and I saw my (very approachable) GP for a referral to the hospital for sterilisation. The consultant I saw was a charming man; I explained that I had no desire for children; that I didn't want to risk an unplanned pregnancy and have to manage that with diabetes, and that I didn't want to risk any children having diabetes. He asked if I was certain and I told him I was as sure as I could be. The operation went ahead; keyhole surgery tying off tubes, up and about the same day, diabetes management no problem, tiny scars, it was 30 odd years ago but I have no bad recollections, only relief that contraception was no longer a problem.

I have no idea whether current budgetary constraints in the NHS might work against you, though I'd have thought this relatively simple surgery would be cheaper than managing a pregnancy or your variable bg levels. I had a general anaesthetic although these days a spinal anaesthetic might be an option if you'd be happy to be awake during the procedure.

I don't usually think about this as I've lived a great life and been happy with the decision I made and the freedom it gave me. I wish you luck and do let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Robbity and Snapsy

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting a little confused here - there seem to be two totally separate issues here: 1) preventing conception and 2) easing painful periods. Preventing pregnancy by surgical sterilisation for women is normally done by tying off the tube that connects the ovaries to the uterus, as described by the previous entry. It is quite a small operation, recovery is quick but it does make your periods a little heavier for a few months. However, it leaves your hormone-producing ovaries & uterus intact to do their job. I would be very wary indeed of removing either unless it was truly medically essential.

The methods of preventing conception that you haven't mentioned are the rhythm method which probably isn't reliable enough for you, and the other barrier method, commonly known as a Dutch cap. It gives much more sensitivity than a condom, to both partners! That's the voice of experience. (It is also much better if you partner has difficulty coping with distractions, you can insert the cap an hour or more beforehand, rather than having to interrupt at the vital moment to get a pesky packet open!)

Easing painful periods is really really difficult - there are so many different reasons for them to be a horrible time of month. There is an operation called a D&C (dilatation & curettage) which slightly enlarges the neck of the womb so the debris doesn't jam up up there. Or you can fiddle around with your salt intake / hydration to reduce congestion. Or there are a lot of herbal remedies said to ease the problems. But actual removal of the womb would be such a last resort it should be absolutely out of sight. A bit like amputation of your foot for blisters - only a bit like, period pain can be much much worse than blisters!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting a little confused here - there seem to be two totally separate issues here: 1) preventing conception and 2) easing painful periods. Preventing pregnancy by surgical sterilisation for women is normally done by tying off the tube that connects the ovaries to the uterus, as described by the previous entry. It is quite a small operation, recovery is quick but it does make your periods a little heavier for a few months. However, it leaves your hormone-producing ovaries & uterus intact to do their job. I would be very wary indeed of removing either unless it was truly medically essential.

The methods of preventing conception that you haven't mentioned are the rhythm method which probably isn't reliable enough for you, and the other barrier method, commonly known as a Dutch cap. It gives much more sensitivity than a condom, to both partners! That's the voice of experience. (It is also much better if you partner has difficulty coping with distractions, you can insert the cap an hour or more beforehand, rather than having to interrupt at the vital moment to get a pesky packet open!)

Easing painful periods is really really difficult - there are so many different reasons for them to be a horrible time of month. There is an operation called a D&C (dilatation & curettage) which slightly enlarges the neck of the womb so the debris doesn't jam up up there. Or you can fiddle around with your salt intake / hydration to reduce congestion. Or there are a lot of herbal remedies said to ease the problems. But actual removal of the womb would be such a last resort it should be absolutely out of sight. A bit like amputation of your foot for blisters - only a bit like, period pain can be much much worse than blisters!
I didn't experience heavier periods post-sterilisation, and I'm afraid the Dutch cap required a predictability of having sex that I often didn't have!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
The first GP I went to about period pain was a cranky old man who told me it was feminine hysteria, and a good walk would fix it.

Twenty years later I was admitted to hospital and put on a morphine drip for kidney stones, but I kept telling them it was just my normal period pain going on a bit long. That got me bounced from consultant to consultant until a doctor finally sat me down and explained 'off the record'.
- I could be cured if I had a hysterectomy
- No surgeon was going to do a hysterectomy on a mid-thirties female with no children because
a) the hospital wouldn't allow it
b) medical insurance wouldn't cover him
c) potential future side effects.

If you can get the NHS to do a tube-tying operation, I say go for it. You are going to have to go in with a (preferably written) list of logical and valid reasons, and a seriously determined attitude. I've found when arguing with my doctors that being willing to listen to them, and then explain why their points aren't right/don't apply to you works well.

Depending on the reason for your period pain it may not make a huge difference, but at least it takes pregnancy and artificial hormones off your list of worries.

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I got my hysterectomy at 30 after requesting one from the age of 28.

I couldnt have children so it wasnt a big problem for me to eventually persuade the GP. Although it did take 2 years of asking! When she put me to a gynae, tge gynae actually visited the surgery. Asked when I wanted it. I asked for it after my Tina Turner concert. Granted!! Surgeon even asked me about the concert!

Went in Tuesday, op Weds and out Friday. Wanted to go back to work within a week but not allowed!

Absolutely no regrets. 2nd best thing I have had done. 1st one was fighting to be a flattie for 18 months following single mx. Got it and the supposed healthy boob wasnt. I am absolutely delighted with every action I have requested and taken with my body.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to clarify that this procedure for me is not about easing painful periods. It's strictly to prevent pregnancy, as the HBC options I've used had dramatic side-effects. The Implanon was magic, until I started insulin - it had a reaction with the Implanon and caused me horrible 4 week periods.

I am done with and tired of the different methods of contraceptives, they all either have side-effects or are hassles I don't want to put up with until menopause.

If you can get the NHS to do a tube-tying operation, I say go for it. You are going to have to go in with a (preferably written) list of logical and valid reasons, and a seriously determined attitude. I've found when arguing with my doctors that being willing to listen to them, and then explain why their points aren't right/don't apply to you works well.

Depending on the reason for your period pain it may not make a huge difference, but at least it takes pregnancy and artificial hormones off your list of worries.

I live in the Netherlands so no NHS for me, but that's what I got planned! :) I got a boatload of medical and mental health reasons for not wanting children, and a long history of switching birth control because of the side-effects. Taking pregnancy and artificial hormones off my list is exactly what I'm going for! Thank you for your encouragement.

Reactions: Snapsy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hey all!

I don't want to have children and have always used birth control to prevent pregnancies, but now that I'm on insulin I react very poorly to hormonal birth control. While condoms are totally fine, I'm also finding myself in a position where I just want to be sterilized and be done with it. I'm still 'young' (29) so I'm probably going to have to fight for this, but I also have a whole range of medical conditions of which diabetes is only one that makes me terrified of pregnancy and what it will do to my body and soul. Besides the fact I don't want kids, I also consider adoption a 100% valid option, and would prefer it over having my own even without the medical stuff if I were to ever change my mind.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I know women with diabetes can have absolutely normal pregnancies so I don't think it's a good 'excuse' for a doctor to go with. (It's quite sad that a firm "I never wanted kids" is not enough, actually.) I do have a herniated disc, bad knees and mental health problems since my teens which make me entirely unfit to be a mother even if I wanted to be. And then there are the aspects of having a moderately invasive surgery as a diabetic to weigh against this.

Just want to see if anyone else has been sterilized as a diabetic and what the risks/issues were you ran into?
Longterm uncontrolled diabetes and mental health issues should be enough qualifying reason to be granted sterilisation in the nhs. Have you been told "no"?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter ..not diabetic though.. was sterilised when she was 39. Like you she could not tolerate any oral contraception and she had tried practically every one there was . She had two daughters and did not want any more children so they were quite willing to do the sterilisation. I think just the fact that you find oral contraception just does not suit you that along with your other problems should be enough to allow you to be sterilised